Community Message Boards

Thread: Costco Rotisserie Chicken!

Costco Rotisserie Chicken!

I love to cook, of course, but my new best friend is Costco's chicken!

I love the stuff, you can do so much with it after the ititial dinner.....

Does anyone else feel this way? Tha meat manager said that they sell anwhere from 500-550 chix each day!

YUM

I haven't tried one, myself, but I have friends who swear by it.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001

i love them.... feeds us 2 dinners!
    Though a flower may not bloom, In our heart, We still know the beauty of it's blossom

Dh generally hates roasted chicken so I've never tried Costco's rotisserie chicken myself, but his father and grandmother both love it. Here in So. Cal., we can get Zankou Chicken, a Lebanese restaurant that serves the best rotisserie chicken I've ever had (the garlic sauce is something special, too, I wish I could figure out how to make it).

Edited to say dh considers rotisserie chicken to be in the same category as roasted (and he'll actually eat Zankou).

Cathy

We buy them all the time. It is so great to have chicken that is ready to go into salads or other dishes that tastes so great!!! We love it plain too with just a couple of side dishes. The ones from the local grocery stores are more expensive and not as big. Great bargain!! Darla

Another fan here. The Costco near me does not sell the chicken or a lot of the other prepared foods (although they will be expanding soon). When I do make the trip to another Costco I always buy one or two. I strip them down as soon as I get home as it is easier to do when the meat is warm. It is so handy to have these portions in the freezer. There are even a few cookbooks that have recipes that use a pre-roasted chicken.
    Rotisserie Chicken to the Rescue

Your Chicken is Cooked - 125 Time-Saving Recipes

Betty Crocker Rotisserie Chicken

All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

We love the rotisserie chicken too! The leftovers usually get made into chicken salad. We probably get one once a month for a great, easy meal. We like to get Costco's greek salad to eat with it.
    Bakers have the best buns.
    "Cookie Bearchild" by Boyds Bear

I save the carcass from the chicken, throw it in a freezer bag, then make chicken tortilla soup with it later. Yum!
    pchy

Quote Originally Posted by CathyT
    Dh generally hates roasted chicken so I've never tried Costco's rotisserie chicken myself, but his father and grandmother both love it. Here in So. Cal., we can get Zankou Chicken, a Lebanese restaurant that serves the best rotisserie chicken I've ever had (the garlic sauce is something special, too, I wish I could figure out how to make it).

Edited to say dh considers rotisserie chicken to be in the same category as roasted (and he'll actually eat Zankou).

Cathy

I just thought that I would go searching for the recipe for the garlic sauce for you since I had a little spare time on my hands and this is what I came up with for you. Let me know if this sounds right!

There are 2 ways of preparation.

INGREDIENTS:

Way 1:
    cup lemon juice
    cup olive oil
    7 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with a
    dash of salt
    5 cubes potatoes, fried until tender
    tspn salt

Way 2:
    cup lemon juice
    cup olive oil
    1 head of garlic, peeled and crushed
    tspn salt

PREPARATION:

Way 1:
    Mash potatoes finely in a bowl.
    Process mashed potato with garlic, oil,
    lemon juice, and salt until smooth and
    thick.
    Serve in small bowls next to grills.

Way 2:
    Process crushed garlic with oil, lemon
    juice, and salt until smooth and thick.
    Pour in bowls and serve next to meat and
    chicken.

Hope this is it, however I wouldn't know because I have never had it before, or heard of it for that matter!

Felice, that's a great idea about storing some shredded chicken in the freezer. I usually use up the whole chicken with whatever I'm doing, but the price is right, and it would be worth it to buy two and save a trip for the next time.

And STOP with the cookbook temptation!! You know how weak I am with that!
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

I think Costco's Chicken is the best. My dad likes Sam's Club better, but not us. We haven't bought one in a LONG time, last time we did, I got sick. I usually have a reaction to MSG in things, and I have had the Costco chicken lots of times, but the last time it wasn't a good experience. DH says he thinks they changed the formulation of the marinade, so we stay away from it now. There was a soup from CL that called for wild rice and already cooked chicken. It was so good with the Costco chicken.

Lisa

Everytime I have been in Costco I make mention to myself, my husband or whoever is with me that I should buy one of those chickens because they look so good but I have yet to try one. I think you all have talked me into it. Do you know what brand chicken it is - Perdue, Wampbler (sp?), Tyson??? I don't think I have ever found Perdue in my Costco in my area but that is my favorite brand.

They used to sell some Teriyaki chicken wings in a big bag that I loved and now they don't have them. :mad:

Also, please tell me how you are storing in the freezer where it doesn't become off tasting. I don't know how to describe it. I have taken the chicken that either I have cooked or that was purchased already cooked and put in ziplog bags but when I take it out, it just seems to have a different taste - not fresh.

Thumbs up Chicken Talk

Hi, the chicken they sell is FOSTER FARMS I have compared it to other supermarket chix and Costo'S is plumper (is that a word) and juicier! You cannot beat the price either, $4.99 for 3 lbs....and you have a ready meal!

Cathy T, We used to buy Zankou chix when we lived in Glendale, the kids used to say that the garlic sauce clears their Sinuses, (lol)

There is also a Zankou on Sunset in Los Angeles!

Thanks Snuff, I am going to use the garlic sauce with the potatoes in it.....It will keep all my friends away! WHEW!!!

[QUOTE=Snuff]I just thought that I would go searching for the recipe for the garlic sauce for you since I had a little spare time on my hands and this is what I came up with for you. Let me know if this sounds right!
    QUOTE]

THANKS!!!

Way 2 sounds right, I am definitely going to try it. Zankou has gotten really stingy with the sauce and pita, it's pretty irritating. (The last time I went, they gave me one - ONE - pita for a whole chicken. But the chicken is too good to stop going.)

Tantegrazie - Funny that your kids thought it cleared their sinuses, I don't find it potent at all, just yummy. Maybe I just eat too much garlic, lol!

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Tantegrazie
    There is also a Zankou on Sunset in Los Angeles!
    There's also one on Sepulveda and Santa Monica. Everyone raves about it; I'll have to give it a try.
    --Anthony Ragan
    irishspy@ gmail .com
    "Fear? I fear nothing. I'm terrified of everything."
    Harry T. Cat, in memoriam, 1983-2001