Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Poll

Talking

Ok, I'll admit to being one of the readers! However, in my own defense, I have adorable, active 3 year old and 1 year old boys and the bathroom is about the only place where I get any form of solitude.

Renée

I'm with you SandyM!!! I don't get it either. Much to my dismay (actually, amusement ) my sons are shaping up to be "typical" men (sorry to make generalizations....). My oldest son can spend a half hour in there and he's only 6! He sings, talks, and I don't know what else. My hubbie spends some time, but not much. My FIL, however, can spend all morning in there.

But the biggest mystery to me is why my kids must disrobe when going #2?????

Oh believe me Renee, I understand the "solitude" thing. I don't have kids, but when I visit my godchildren, I can see why their mother takes hour-long showers!!!

Alysha - too funny about disrobing for the ceremonious Number Two. What free spirits..........

Alysha, you mean, you don't do that??

Seriously, though, if you have to sit in there for 30 minutes, did you really have to go to the bathroom in the first place? I don't get it.

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 05-16-2001).]

Wink

Just for the record, guys...if there's anyone in there with a laptop as I speak, do me a favor. Don't tell us about it.

THis is sooooo funny. I'd be surprized if I spent 2 hours a WEEK in the bathroom (yes - I have little kids too). And if you only count time that you are in there alone, that number drops to about an hour!

Dh - on the other hand, that's another story. But if MY BROTHER were to answer that poll, the numbers would really shoot up.

Talking

LMAO Gail!

Oh Gail! Thank you, thank you. And now if you'll excuse me I have to flush.

Talking

Oh, this is so funny! SandyM, I share your mindset. I mean, life's too short, right?

DH, on the other hand is known for his ability to take forever in the bathroom. He used to be roommates with 2 sets of our closest friends, so I am not the only one privy (tee hee) to this information. Actually, funny story: We were playing Taboo with the two couples in question, and one of the words was "bathroom." All I had to say is: "Honey, what's your favorite place, where you like to spend lots of time?" and everyone knew what I was getting at!

[This message has been edited by mandarin2j (edited 05-16-2001).]

You guys are so funny
    Yes I have heard of people taking phones to the bathroom but laptops? Oh my gosh!!

Originally posted by lindrusso:
    My youngest son (age 7) often does this too! Why???

OK, I'll admit it. I read in the bathroom and I take very long showers. But my SO has me beat. While he's very quick with the showers, the reading can take forever. And he _always_ needs to go to the bathroom when he's supposed to be leaving or doing something else. His timing is so bad that once, upon hearing that he needs to go to the bathroom, I yelled "Again?!?" in a very loud voice. The only problem was that I was on a corridor in the university, and there were lots of people around. I still get teased about my cruelty in not letting my SO go to the bathroom!

DmOrtega Guest

Smile

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by lindrusso:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first I've heard of it from others. My son is 8 and has been doing that since the beginning. My 10 year old daughter sometimes asks "Why does he have to take off all of his clothes?" I don't have an answer. I always thought it was just him. Interesting.

We are a family of readers complete with a magazine rack and various magazines in the bathroom.

[This message has been edited by DmOrtega (edited 05-16-2001).]

I do spend a good bit of time in the bathroom, but not for getting ready. Much of my time is spent on my nightly bath. I have taken a hot bath before bedtime for as long as I can remember. I use bath oils, bubbles, or salts. I'm always reading while in the bathtub. I use the time to relax and let go of the day. This is especially good when I am traveling on business.

We recently purchased a spa (outside). We use it most nights so my nightly bathtime is being reduced.

I'm an in and outer myself LOL! Now DH on the other hand could spend hours in there with a magazine. I've never been able to figure that one out. We are trying to potty train our DD, and sometimes both she and daddy go in there, she takes a book and he takes a magazine. I will admit to reading a magazine in there now, but only when I am accompanying DD when she has to potty!

Funny topic. For the most part, I'm for getting in and out too. I shower and dry my hair but otherwise, I get ready in my room. I have on occasion been known to go through a magazine when I know that I will be awhile.

It seems like hanging in there for long periods of time is a guy thing. My ex BF used to take the paper or a magazine in there and occasionally call out, "Hey Wen, listen to this". I call it an "Al Bundy marathon".

My cockatiel has claimed my bathroom as "his". He used to sit on the towelrack, sing, and admire himself in the mirror until he started peeling the paint.

Since my BF re-painted, he has a shower perch fixed to the mirror and I put him in there when I cook dinner and then I can talk to him from the kitchen. Sort of how some people use tv as a "babysitter". He used to raise a ruckus when my BF would go into HIS bathroom but has since gotten over it. Strange, huh? Thus, the saying: "strange bird".

You folks will be happy to know that the L'Enfant Plaza Hotel in DC has TVs (and of course phones) in the bathrooms! Just think of it, Wendy. Your Al Bundy could've WATCHED Al Bundy at the same time...

I'm for the "get in and get out" with the bathroom. My BF however likes to read in there. I bought Time magazine to "keep up" but it's always in "his" bathroom so I forget all about it. At least I know it's well read.

LOL...I could never understand why my son had to strip either, but have to admit he looked pretty darn cute sitting there in just socks, swinging his feet and singing away. Not that I stood there and watched mind you but he did always want to talk to us or sing us a new song, which was okay at home, but nothing like being in a public bathroom and hearing....MOM!!!!!I want to tell you something

When it comes to the, um, actual act of going to the bathroom, I'm an in and outer. I think part of it is hearing horror stories about my dad and his siblings in the outhouse. Somehow, although I have indoor plumbing, I fear being bitten on the butt by a snake or a rat. Well, only a little bit, and usually only in the middle of the night...anyway, I have irritable bowel, so when I gotta go, I gotta go-there's no sitting and thinking about it. As for showers I'm also in and out.
    While I will not relate DH's potty habits, I will say that he spends forever in the shower. He says he does his best thinking in there. To each his own, I guess.

Alysha,

Maybe you can help me with this one...My middle son(age 3 1/2) often times disrobes to go #1. When I see him do it, I usually ask him why he is getting undressed to go "pee pee". He usually gives me a funny, confused look, says "oh", and starts putting his shirt back on, and then pees(in the toilet, of course.) Perhaps, this is another one of those guy(or little guy) things!!

Are you sure they don't mean public bathrooms -- because I swear, I've been standing in line behind some of those women at the mall, concerts, etc.!!!
    Maybe those are the ones who just save up their hour until they're out of the house???? (I'm an in-and-out gal, myself!)

Post Bathroom Poll

According to USA Today (Source: Yankelovich Partners), Adults ages 30 to 70 spend an hour a day — almost two weeks a year — in the bathroom.

I'm of the "get in, do it, get out" mindset. I just don't get the "attraction" of hanging out in there, catching up on Faulkner, doing financial planning, or worse yet, talking to someone on the phone?????????

Just my weird rambles........

Does this include time showering/bathing?

I'm definitely an in and out gal! If I spend more than 5 minutes in there I better take some medication My boyfriend on the other hand...I've wondered a couple of times if he's died in there.

Question

I've just got to say that I LOVE this bulletin board. No where else will you find this thread next to a Peanut Butter thread. (Ew. Somehow that's gross.)

Anyway - I'd like to hear from some more men on the topic. Why do men (in general) spend so much time there?

I just thought of something interesting -- you know how women's restroom lines are always grossly longer than the men's? Just take a look at the port-a-potty lines at a road race one day -- men always take waaaay longer, and you do not want to go in there after a pre-race jitters guy has been in one.

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 05-17-2001).]

I had to laugh at this post. It is definitely a male thing. When DH disappears, I know where he is. He takes reading material in there, but nothing I would touch (he can't take a paper in there until I have read it!!!!

When we built our house last year, we included 5 bathrooms (there are 4 of us) and there is a rough-in in the basement for a future one!! I personally am in and out, but DH and one of my two boys will linger.

As for "disrobing when going #2", my 6 year old does this. It is reminiscent of George Costanza on Seinfeld. There was an episode where he would take his pants off when doing the same thing. I haven't seen it in a long time, but remember that scene.

I'm a male, and I can't speak for anyone else, but I understand the dilemma I'm in. At age 19, I spend probably a good hour just sitting on the commode. I have to get up 30-45 minutes early for "commode time." I have a nasty condition called IBS, which is actually very common among Americans. We sense pain and urgency among other discomforts that most people cannot feel. We quite often need a little extra time. Some poor sufferers have to revolve their lives around the bathroom.

Sorry, I accidentally posted twice.

[This message has been edited by AD (edited 05-20-2001).]