Community Message Boards

Thread: Pork chops in the crockpot?

Pork chops in the crockpot?

Question, I have boneless lean pork chops I want to throw in the crockpot tonight, I've only done pork roasts in the crock, how long would be ideal to cook them? I know alot of recipes call for 6-8 hours, like they do with boneless skinless chicken, I think that is way to long for chicken and I only do mine for about 4 - 4 1/2 hours, do you think 4 hours on low would be enough for 1 inch thick chops? Or do you think if I cook them the full 6 hours they would be tender and not stringy?

I think the thickness of the chops comes into play here and the fact that the meat is toatlly different than chicken. IMHO, I would cook about 3 1/2 - 4 hours on high or 6-8 on low for 1" thick boneless chops.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Why do you want to use the crockpot? You could easily grill them - shouldn't take more than 5 minutes a side. (Unless they are really thick - and then you could butterfly them to cook them quickly)
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I did four porkchops that were about 1/2" thick in the crockpot earlier this week. I topped pork chops (sprinkled with salt, pepper, and Thyme) with a sliced sweet onion, a few cloves of garlic, and covered them with 2 cans of diced tomatoes. I gave them 6 hours on low and they were very good. I think the liquid helped and they did fall apart, but did not seem too overdone. I served them over egg noodles and sprinkled feta on the top. It was a "use-what-I-had" dinner that turned out better than I thought it would.
    Michelle

I like to put chops in the crock, topped with thin sliced med onion, a 1# bag of sauerkraut (rinsed & squeezed), a grated apple and thyme or caraway seed, 1/2c or so chicken broth (bouillon), low for 6 hours or so, over buttered egg noodles with parsley. Very tender. I like anything I can through in the crock before work, no browning, sauteeing before hand.

Thanks everyone, I'll go with 6 hours on low.