Community Message Boards

Thread: Pepitas v. Pumpkin Seeds

Pepitas v. Pumpkin Seeds

I always thought that pepitas were pumpkin seeds, but today at Trader Joe's they were selling BOTH.

The pumpkin seeds maybe looked slightly bigger but otherwise they looked pretty darn similar.

What's the deal?

I believe they are the raw, hulled seeds of green pumpkins. I'd guess that what they are selling as 'pumpkin seeds' are from a different variety of pumpkin. Just a guess though.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Generally, pumpkin seeds and pepitas are the same thing. However, I think marketers have taken to calling the hulled (roasted or raw) pumpkin seeds pepitas and leaving the term "pumpkin seeds" for the whole seed.