Community Message Boards

Thread: People To People Student Ambassadors: Anyone have experience with this program?

Hybrid View

People To People Student Ambassadors: Anyone have experience with this program?

DD (7th grader) received a letter today from People To People (student ambassador program). It stated she had been nominated for their program which involves travel and study in England, Wales and Ireland in 2006. The form and website look very official but this is the first we've heard of her "nomination". Maybe I'm too skeptical but it just strikes me as odd that the first contact would be in this form.

Has anyone had any experience with this program (good or bad--I'd be happy to hear either)? We are "invited" to an informational meeting in November but I really wouldn't want her to get excited if it's a scam.

BTW, she'd be just 13 at the time of travel. Doesn't this seem sort of young for a travel and study program?

HELP!!!

Debbie
    Unless you oppose the death penalty, don't tell me you're pro-life.

I don't have personal knowledge of this program, but I believe this was the program my boss's son participated in this summer. I arranged everything so I'll have to look back at the file. If it was, it was legitimate, but I don't know if his son enjoyed it or not. He is a bit older, though (16). I'll let you know tomorrow.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by jtoepfert100
    I don't have personal knowledge of this program, but I believe this was the program my boss's son participated in this summer. I arranged everything so I'll have to look back at the file. If it was, it was legitimate, but I don't know if his son enjoyed it or not. He is a bit older, though (16). I'll let you know tomorrow.
    I would really appreciate your help. I'm trying not to be too cynical but she does seem awfully young.

It is legit. My son was recommeded for it in 5th grade but due to some issues we didn't pursue it. Its EXPENSIVE and they offer NO scholarships. They suggest you 'fund-raise' if necessary. The informational meeting is interesting, they then do personal interviews with each child that is still interested.

I know someone who did it through soccer (they have an athletic side as well) and her daughter enjoyed it.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I was an exchange student through Youth for Understanding (YFU) way back in 1982 and was active in my high school's exchange program. I remember the People to People organization from that experience. I'm not familiar with the practice of nominating students for exchanges - we had to proactively seek them, but that doesn't mean anything. Have you spoken with a local field representative?

ETA: If this is something your daughter is interested in, you might want to check out a variety of options for overseas programs, rather than just the one that contacted you.

Tyra--It's interesting that price wasn't mentioned in the letter or on the website. I googled it and got a $5000 figure-- !

Canice--We can reserve a spot at the informational meeting but I wanted to get some feedback before even going that far. I did send an email to find out who nominated her. I hadn't thought about checking with other programs. That's a good idea.

I'm sure I'm overreacting but this sort of caught me off guard!

That price seems right, 3 years ago it was $4000 to go to Australia. It would be a great opportunity for the right child. I had reservations about Alex going away for so long since he is a picky eater (and would prefer to starve then eat something he didn't think he would like). He was accepted conditionally (they had some maturity issues which I didn't think were founded, I was more concerned about the eating). I asked him if it would be more disappointing to drop out now or at the end after he went to the classes etc. He thought it would be more disappointing to drop out at the end, so we didn't persue it.

I still get an invite every year for him (and I never did figure out how they got his name).
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?