Community Message Boards

Thread: What is your favorite meatloaf recipe?

Hybrid View

What is your favorite meatloaf recipe?

I asked this quesiton in another thread but because it was under a different name there were no recipes given. I love meatloaf and I'm always looking for new recipes. It is cooling off here and this time of year I always want to cook meatloaf. I love the left overs on sandwiches the next day. What is your favorite meatloaf recipe?

I really like this one as a light version. I don't make the full fat ones but if I did Alton Brown's would be high on my list as well as one that I had once at 72 Market Street which was famous for its meat loaf.

Italian Meat Loaf with Fresh Basil and Provolone

In addition to providing the lift in cakes, egg whites act as a binder for dishes such as crab cakes, salmon patties, and meat loaf. Serve this dish with your favorite mashed-potato recipe.

1 cup boiling water
    1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
    3/4 cup finely chopped onion
    3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
    2 large egg whites
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 pound ground round
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup ketchup

Combine boiling water and tomatoes in a bowl; let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain tomatoes; finely chop.
    Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine 1/2 cup ketchup, breadcrumbs, and the next 6 ingredients (breadcrumbs through beef) in a large bowl. Add tomatoes to meat mixture. Shape meat mixture into a 9 x 5-inch loaf on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Spread 1/3 cup ketchup over meat loaf. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer registers 160°. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Cut into 12 slices.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 slices)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 294(27% from fat); FAT 8.7g (sat 3.6g,mono 3.2g,poly 0.7g); PROTEIN 24.3g; CHOLESTEROL 53mg; CALCIUM 149mg; SODIUM 893mg; FIBER 2.5g; IRON 3.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30.8g

Cooking Light, AUGUST 2000

I am not a huge meatloaf fan but I love this recipe. I use all ground beef when I make it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Double-Cheese Meat Loaf

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Meat

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup chopped onion
    6 tablespoons ketchup -- divided
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard -- divided
    1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese -- (4 ounces)
    1/2 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 large egg -- lightly beaten
    1/2 pound lean ground beef
    1/2 pound lean ground pork
    1/2 pound lean ground veal

Preheat oven to 375°.
    Place a medium nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion, and sauté for 3 minutes. Combine the onion, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 tablespoon mustard, mozzarella, and next 6 ingredients (mozzarella through egg) in a large bowl. Crumble ground meats over cheese mixture; stir just until blended.

Pack mixture into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Combine 2 tablespoons ketchup and 1 tablespoon mustard; spread over top of loaf. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until meat thermometer registers 160°. Let meat loaf stand in pan 10 minutes.

Remove meat loaf from pan, and cut into 12 slices.

Source:
    "Cooking Light, September 1998"

NOTES : Substitute lean ground beef for the ground veal and pork, if desired.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Oh what the heck.

72 Market Street Meat Loaf with Meat Loaf Gravy

1 tablespoon butter
    3/4 cup minced green onion
    3/4 cup minced white onion
    1/2 cup minced carrot
    1/2 cup minced celery
    1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
    1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    3 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup half and half
    1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
    1/2 pound lean ground pork sausage, with no herbs or seasonings added
    3 /4 cup prepared bread crumbs

Meat Loaf Gravy (recipe follows)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Heat the butter in a heavy skillet and add the green onion, white onion, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until the moisture has evaporated. Cool.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cumin, and eggs and mix well. Add the ketchup and half and half. Blend thoroughly.

4. Add the ground beef, ground pork, bread crumbs, and the vegetable mixture. It might be easier to mix this with your hands.

5. Grease a loaf pan and add the meat mixture, pressing it into the corners. Put the loaf pan in a larger pan filled 1-inch-high with boiling water. Cook at 350 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with Meat Loaf Gravy.

Serving Size: 6

Meat Loaf Gravy

2 tablespoons butter
    4 shallots, minced
    1 sprig thyme
    1 bay leaf
    Dash of crushed peppercorns
    1/4 cup chopped red bell peppers
    1/4 cup chopped yellow bell peppers
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 cup veal or beef stock
    1 cup chicken stock
    2 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
    Salt and pepper
    1. In a heavy pan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter, and sauté the shallots, thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, and red and yellow bell peppers over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.

2. Add the wine and simmer over high heat until reduced by three-fourths, to make a glaze.

3. Add the beef stock and chicken stock, and simmer, uncovered, over high heat until reduced by one-fourth.

4. Add the tomatoes and bring to a slow simmer. Cook, covered, for 20 minutes.

5. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.

6. Strain, discarding bay leaf and thyme before serving.

Serving Size: 10

The basil provolone one is my standard meatloaf recipe. I like it too. I usually make it in muffin tins and freeze it.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

Well, these aren't your typical meatloaf recipes, but my family loves them. I've made all three several times...

Lil' Chedder Meatloaves

Recipe By :slightly adapted from Taste of Home
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Ground Beef Main Dish

1 egg
    3/4 cup milk, scant
    1 cup shredded sharp or extra sharp cheddar
    cheese
    1/2 cup quick cooking oats
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon or so garlic powder
    fresh ground pepper, to taste
    1 lb. lean ground beef (I like to use ground
    round or ground sirloin)
    Sauce:
    2/3 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
    ground chipotle, to taste -- optional

In a bowl, beat the egg and milk.

Stir in cheese, oats, onion and salt.

Add beef and mix well.

Shape into eight loaves; place in a greased jelly roll pan. (Line the dish with foil and spray with Pam for easy clean-up).

Combine ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard; spoon over loaves.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and reaches 160 degrees. (Drain grease partially through baking, if desired)

NOTES : This will seem like a ton of sauce, but after they're baked it's perfect.

Meat Loaf Pie

Recipe By :slightly adapted from Country Woman, July/Aug 00, pg. 41
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00

1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
    1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
    ground pepper, to taste
    1 pound lean ground beef
    ketchup -- to taste (recipe calls for 1/3 cup)
    1 cup cheddar cheese
    1/2 teaspoon oregano or Italian seasoning -- crushed between your fingers
    1 Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese -- or more to taste

In a bowl, combine milk, bread crumbs, garlic salt, nature's seasoning, and pepper.

Add beef; mix well.

Press meat mixture onto the bottom and 1 inch up the sides of a greased 9 inch pie plate. (I line it with greased foil)

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; drain carefully. (this is where I pull the whole thing out with the foil; carefully drain the grease; and place it back in the pie pan w/o the foil.)

Spread with ketchup. Sprinkle with cheddar, oregano, and Parmesan.

Bake 3-5 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and cheese is melted.

Serving Ideas : Serve with buttermilk mashed potatoes and corn or green beans.

Sicilian Meat Roll

Recipe By :Better Homes and Gardens
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00

2 slightly beaten eggs
    3/4 c. soft bread crumbs
    1/2 c. tomato juice (or 1/4 c. tomato sauce and
    1/4 c. water mixed)
    2 T. snipped fresh parsley
    1/2 t. dried oregano -- crushed
    1/4 t. salt
    1/4 t. pepper
    1 small clove garlic -- minced
    2 lbs. lean ground beef
    6 thin slices fully cooked deli ham
    1 3/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine eggs, bread crumbs, tomato juice, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and garlic.

Stir in ground beef, mixing well.

On foil, pat meat mixture into a 12x10 inch rectangle.

Arrange ham slices on top of meat, leaving a 3/4 inch border around all edges.

Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups cheese over ham.

Starting from a short end, carefully roll up meat, using foil to lift and guide; seal edges and ends.

Place roll, seam side down, in a 13x9x2 pan sprayed with Pam.

Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until it reaches 170 degrees and juices run clear. (Center of meat roll will be pink because of the ham.)

Sprinkle remaining cheese over top of roll; return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.

Remove to a platter to serve.

Serving Ideas : I like to serve this with buttered pasta with Italian seasonings, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper mixed in, baked potato bread from my bread machine, mandarin orange tossed salad, and dessert.

Wow, these all sound great. I'm printing them out and plan on trying them all. Thank you.

I go back and forth on meatloaf recipes, but our current favorite is Paula Deen's recipe. I like it because I usually have the ingredients on hand, and it always comes out good. (I think the topping is what makes it special.)

Old-Fashioned Meatloaf
    adapted from Paula Deen

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1 lb. ground round or chuck *
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped green pepper
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    8 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juice (1 cup)
    1/2 cup Quick Quaker Oats

Topping:
    1/3 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon yellow “ballpark” mustard

Mix meat loaf ingredients gently together. Mix topping ingredients, then spread over meatloaf. Shape into loaf in baking pan sprayed with PAM (or lined with foil).

Bake one hour or until loaf tests done, 160 degrees. Let sit 10 minutes before cutting.

* Notes: I always use 1-1/3 to 1-1/2 pounds of meat. I use extra-lean Angus ground beef, ground round, or Laura's Extra Lean Ground Beef. I find this slightly larger loaf is done in one hour (the original baking time) - but I recommend using an instant thermometer to be sure. It should register 160 degrees.

There's a mozzarella stuffed turkey and spinach meatloaf posted somewhere on this board...couldn't find it in searching...but it's from Shape magazine and one of our favorites.....

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~

I LOVE the BC Turkey Meatloaf too!

Well, this is actually a meatball recipe, but it's the only meatloaf my family eats. It comes down through the generations of my husband's very greek family. After having this, I have never looked at another meatloaf recipe. I included the sauce recipe in case you wanted to try it as meatballs...great as appetizer or served with speghetti!! I usually double the recipe and make a loaf and the meatballs to freeze.

Greek Meatballs (Serve With Greek Tomato Sauce)
    1 pound hamburger
    1/2 c.onion, chopped fine
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 teaspoon mint flakes
    2 teaspoon parsley
    4 slices white bread, wet and squeezed
    2 eggs

Blend all ingredients together and shape into balls. Fry in 1/4 cup oil until cooked. Add to Greek Tomato Sauce.

OR:

Shape into loaf and bake at 350 for 1 hour for meatloaf.

2 tablespoon oil from meatballs (if can)
    1 small can tomato paste
    3 cans water
    1 small can tomato sauce
    pinch sugar, pinch pepper
    4 whole cloves
    1 stick cinnamon
    1 bay leaf

Combine all ingredients and simmer at least one hour. Add meatballs and heat until well coated.
    ~angela~
    sophleniko

"I don’t like gourmet cooking or 'this' cooking or 'that' cooking. I like good cooking."
    — James Beard

one more to add....this one doesn't have any tomato anything in it so its a little different...

1 1/2 # ground round
    1 pkg lipton dried onion soup mix
    1 egg
    1 small can evaporated milk

mix all together, put in loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 45 to 60 min.

(serve with mashed potatoes and green beans...yum!)

Quote Originally Posted by gabbyh
    There's a mozzarella stuffed turkey and spinach meatloaf posted somewhere on this board...couldn't find it in searching...but it's from Shape magazine and one of our favorites.....

~Gail
    Gail, this combo sounds good. Can you post the recipe? With this and all the other recipes posted I think DH is going to go on "meatloaf overload," but having leftovers for a sandwiches is a plus.
    Joan

Favorite meatloaf

1 lb. ground turkey breast or 95% lean ground beef or a combination
    1 pkg. Fantastic Foods dry onion soup mix (Lipton has trans fats in it)
    1 cup oatmeal or 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
    1 egg
    1/4 c. ketchup
    1/2 c. water
    Pepper to taste

Bake 350 for 45 minutes - 1 hr.

I sometimes throw in some extra vegetables, like a chopped green pepper, onion, mushrooms.

Easy and healthy.

Suz
    Last edited by skupe123; 10-06-2005 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHaris
    Gail, this combo sounds good. Can you post the recipe? With this and all the other recipes posted I think DH is going to go on "meatloaf overload," but having leftovers for a sandwiches is a plus.
    Joan
    Not Gail, but I had it handy so thought I'd help out...

Mozzarella-Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf
    Shape Magazine

Nutrient note: Ground turkey breast is a good source of lean protein. It's also loaded with vitamin B12, which helps the body use fats and carbohydrates, is vital to cell development — especially red blood cells — and helps the nervous system function properly.

1 1/2 pounds ground turkey breast
    1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed well to remove any excess water
    1/2 cup minced onion
    1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    2 egg whites
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    4 ounces grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Directions

Preheat oven to 375° F. In a large bowl, combine turkey, spinach, onion, bread crumbs, parsley, oregano, egg whites, salt and pepper. Mix well with a wooden spoon (or your clean hands).

Press half of mixture into an 8-inch loaf pan. Top bottom half with grated mozzarella cheese. Press remaining turkey mixture over top and flatten to make an even layer. Whisk together ketchup and mustard and spread mixture over prepared meatloaf.

Bake 1 hour, until top is golden and loaf has pulled slightly away from sides of pan. Let stand 10 minutes, then slice into 6 equal pieces and serve.

Serves: 6
    Prep Time: 10 mins.
    Cook Time: 1 hr.
    Nutrition Score per serving: (1 slice or 1/6 of loaf): 208 calories, 21% fat (5 g; 2.4 g saturated), 25% carbs (13 g), 54% protein (28 g), 2 g fiber, 206 mg calcium, 15 mg iron, 746 mg sodium.
    Julie