Community Message Boards

Thread: Hoosier Amish Cake! Great use for buttermilk.

Thumbs up Hoosier Amish Cake! Great use for buttermilk.

Rather than digging up the old thread Angelamaria started (which didn't have the cake name in the title), I thought I would start a new one since this cake is so good.

Here is the original thread:
    what kind of pan do I need for this cake

my cake came out differently from angelamaria's based on her review, but one thing we agree on is that it is excellent.

I added a struesel topping which wasn't in the original recipe. Here is the recipe as I made it. Please check the original thread to see the recipe as Angelamaria posted it. It is an interesting cake because it uses so much buttermilk yet no eggs.

This cake is VERY moist and tender. Just delicious. And I thought the streusel added a lot to the cake. Unlike angelamaria, I didn't taste any buttermilk twang and my cake was uniform in texture.

Here are a couple of pictures, but I have to say that these pictures simply don't do the cake justice. It is hard to convey the great taste and texture in a little computer picture.

Thanks for this great recipe!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Hoosier Amish Cake

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cakes Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup butter
    2 cups brown sugar
    2 cups buttermilk
    2 tsp baking soda
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon
    streusel:
    6 tbsps butter -- softened
    2/3 c brown sugar
    2/3 c flour

Cream the butter and brown sugar . Add buttermilk and baking soda; mix well to combine. (batter will look somewhat curdled.) Add flour, vanilla and cinnamon. Stir until combined. Pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan. Make the streusel: Use a pastry blender to cut brown sugar and flour into butter to make coarse crumbs. (if no pastry blender is available, just use a mixer. no big deal.) Sprinkle steusel evenly over batter. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

source: posted by angelamaria
    Last edited by valchemist; 10-17-2005 at 09:31 AM.

Yum..that cake looks delicious!!

Terri

Thank you for posting the pictures too...I love having little pictures when I save them in MasterCook.

This cake looks delicious, and since I have buttermilk and yesterdays Vermont Maple Syrup Muffins are almost gone (yummy!!!), I might have to bake something else...

Angela

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist
    Pour into greased and floured 13x9 pan (I used a glass pan).

Your picture doesn't look like a 9X13 or a glass pan and I didn't see these comments on Angelamaria's original post. Yours looks more like a 9X9? I'm glad you brought this back because I happen to have a lot of buttermilk waiting to be used...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

duh!! thanks sneezles. I did NOT use a glass pan. I have to go back and edit. but it is definitely a 13x9.

I was thinking it looked like a 9x9 pan too. Must just be the angle of the pic.

yeah, it is just the angle.

The only thing I would say is that I might prefer a more "dough-y" streusel (like a crumb cake). But the streusel wasn't even in the original recipe, so can't complain! Besides, the streusel was still really good and I will use it (or a crumbcake type streusel) in the future. Just wanted to point out that if you like a more dough-like streusel, maybe you could use that. Like the one on martha stewart's new york crumbcake, foe example.

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist
    yeah, it is just the angle.

The only thing I would say is that I might prefer a more "dough-y" streusel (like a crumb cake). But the streusel wasn't even in the original recipe, so can't complain! Besides, the streusel was still really good and I will use it (or a crumbcake type streusel) in the future. Just wanted to point out that if you like a more dough-like streusel, maybe you could use that. Like the one on martha stewart's new york crumbcake, foe example.
    The original cake had no topping at all? My husband doesn't like streusel and I don't like frosting... I know, we are a picky duo.

Angela

Val, I noticed in the original post, "what kind of pan do I need", that you thought a bundt pan might work. Now that you've made this cake in a 9X13, what do you think about using a bundt? If you were to make it in a bundt, would you do a layer of streusel in the middle? Thanks.

Sadie

yes, I am pretty sure this would work well in a Bundt. I just did it in a 13x9 so I could do the streusel. Not sure how well the streusel would work inside. (I am not saying it wouldn't work. just sayng that I don't know for sure.)

In any case (no matter what pan you use), I would be bored with a cake with no topping, no matter how great it is (and this one is great).

After having several small serving of this cake today, I have to amend my earlier comments and say that this particular streusel really does work well here. it is buttery and a bit crisp in places and just adds nicely to the overall taste/texture of the cake.

yay i am so glad you made it! i really thought it was a delicious cake! the streusel topping sounds great also.
    now i can't remember where i found the recipe- i think it was off a buttermilk company website...off to reread the original thread.. glad you liked it!
    angela
    angela - mom of abby age 2, miles born 4-18-05;physician; yoga enthusiast; amateur cook

I made it today in a bundt cake pan, one of those with the pretty molding (black inside). It came out great...350 and about 50 minutes. I didn't grease and flour the pan and it plopped out of the pan when I turned it without any issues. I think I will dust it with powdered sugar, the one that doesn't melt..

Angela

Any thoughts on how adding apples to this cake (maybe a layer of sliced, fried apples) would work?
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Yum, that sounds good, Bethany! Let us know if you try it! (Or perhaps I'll get adventurous and try it this weekend!)
    Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by breadmama
    Yum, that sounds good, Bethany! Let us know if you try it! (Or perhaps I'll get adventurous and try it this weekend!)
    We're having a tea party in my geometry next week (we had an impromptu lesson on tea and tea leaves, tea bags vs loose tea, etc) so I thought I might bring this in. It's end of quarter - I spoil them a bit.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

I was going to bake a fave bread with my last buttermilk; but now must make this cake instead. I am going to try it with grated apple, as I have lots of them. I love a cake that needs no eggs, especially when I'm out of eggs! Thanks valchemist & angelamaria. --mari

This was a great cake! I made it friday night, my best friend was over and took home the recipe.
    I didn't have enough softened butter to try the streusel, (next time!) but I did have an old ripe banana around ( a nearly everyday occurence), so I threw that in, mashed, instead of apples-- not that this cake needs anything added. But it was a good addition, all the same. i think that a simple glaze, maybe something citrusy, would work well here if one were taking this cake somewhere instead of devouring it in the kitchen two minutes after it comes out of the oven (as we did). I also think it's so good, it could work with a bit less butter, though it doesn't taste over-rich. It tastes like something you remember your Grandma making. Thanks again for the recipe. ---mari