Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One Smart Cookie... Updates

One Smart Cookie... Updates

I finally got my copy of One Smart Cookie! I was reading through the old thread with reviews and wondered if any of you who have this book have any new reviews to post. Just trying to decide which recipe to try out first, they all look incredible!

I made the To Die For Cranberry Coconut Squares this weekend and they got rave reviews at the office! Of all the things I have made for there here, these were probably the most talked about and the recipe was even requested!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

This is my daughter's new "favorite Cookbook"! We've made Pumpkin Pie Squares (p 114). Gave it 5 stars. We've also really like Chocolate bliss cookies (37), The Ultimate Brownies (129), the Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies (130), and the Brownie Biscotti (162). Yummy! Tonight we are trying Chunky apple bars....p 123.

The only "dud" we made was the Oatmeal Raisin (45). I think that we are just used to the "full fat" version that has been a family staple.
    Trace

Trace,

I just made the oatmeal raisin cookies last week. I have to agree with you. While they were not bad, they were not my fav. low fat oatmeal raisin cookie. DH, however, LOVED them. He proclaimed them better than my full fat oatmeal raisin cookies. Go figure. So I guess they were not a complete flop. Just goes to show...different strokes for different folks!

Karen

Question re Recipes

I notice that many of these recipe call for a can of condensed milk. What size can should you use? I believe they come in 7 oz and 14 oz.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

I think the only size can of sweetened condensed milk is 14 oz.

Jen, I've actually seen it in the 7oz but it was a spanish nestle brand and they called it Dulce Leche,go figure. Its a rare find. I would also say to go with the 14oz size.
    I have tried the Zuchinni Chocolate Brownies this weekend and they were surprisingly good.
    I'm going to be trying the chocolate cranberry hermits this week and will post a review.
    My favorites so far are the Banana Oatmeal Raisin Cookie and the Zuchinni cranberry bars.
    I made Everyone's favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie, however it wasn't my favorite at all.
    Has anyone seen the truffle recipes this book has? In a way they sound bizarre but I'd like to know if anyone has tried these.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

recently, I tried the chewy butterscotch bars from this book and the butterscotch brownies that compass rose posted. here are both recipes with my reviews. you can see the only difference between the two is that the "one smart cookie" ones have 2 tbsp less butter and they have the chips in them.

here is a picture of the one smart cookie ones.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chewy Butterscotch Bars

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 Tbsp butter -- melted
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 large egg
    3/4 cup flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a medium bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and vanilla. Add egg and stir until smooth.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to the egg mixture and stir until almost combined. Add the butterscotch chips and stir just until blended.

Spread the batter into an 8x8-inch pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until just golden and the edges are starting to pull away from the sides of the pan. Do not overbake. Cool for a few minutes in the pan before cutting into bars -- unless you just can't wait!

Makes 12 bars.

Per bar: 155 cals, 4.5g fat, 28.4g carbs, 19.2mg chol, 114.3mg sod, 0.7g fib, 25% cals from fat

Source:
    "one smart cookie"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : really yummy. chewy and dense inside. the butterscotch chips are perfect. very sweet but not too sweet. hard to believe so low fat! I used a half tsp of salt and would do that again.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Butterscotch Brownies 2

Recipe By : posted by compass rose
    Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/4 cup unsalted butter
    1 cup brown sugar -- (packed)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 large egg
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Place butter and brown sugar in a medium-sized pot, and heat gently, stirring, until melted together. Remove from heat, and set aside to cool slightly.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and flour, or line with parchment, an 8" or 9" square baking pan, and set aside. Sift or whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside.

Whisk egg and vanilla into brown sugar mixture. Stir in dry ingredients just until blended. Spread into prepared pan, and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden-brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cut into squares while warm.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 153 Calories; 6g Fat (33.3% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 35mg Cholesterol; 127mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : very similar to chewy butterscotch bars from one smart cookie. only difference is that recipe has only 2 tbsp butter and it has butterscotch chips.

I used a half tsp of salt and would do that again. the extra butter made these chewier than the "one smart cookie" bars, and the fact that there was more butter and you cook the butter and brown sugar together give thes more of a butterscotchy taste. both recipes are great, but of course I love the one with more butter (this one) more. adding the chips to this one would be great, too, of course.
    Last edited by valchemist; 10-19-2005 at 01:14 PM.

Val,
    Thanks for posting the other recipe for butterscotch bars. I made the recipe by Compass Rose and LOVED them! So, I will have to try this recipe and compare. But, I think the first recipe I tried is hard to beat (especially since they have 2 more tbsp of butter ).
    I am debating about purchasing this book since so many of the recipes I have seen look very tasty.
    Thanks again,
    Sherri

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist
    I think the only size can of sweetened condensed milk is 14 oz.
    Am I thinking of evaporated milk then? I swear I've either seen it (or evaporated milk) in smaller cans OR I have recipes that call for the smaller can. Either way, 14 oz is what I always have on hand so good to know that's what I should use.

Quote Originally Posted by patissac
    I made Everyone's favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie, however it wasn't my favorite at all.

LOL! Any particular reason why?

yes, it is the evaporated milk that comes in 2 sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist
    yes, it is the evaporated milk that comes in 2 sizes.
    Ah. . .thank you.

Well I made the snickerdoodle version of the old-fashioned sour cream sugar cookies. They were pretty good- really high and cakey. I like my cookies more chewy or with a bit of cruncy to them BUT I gave some to my grandmother and she called today to tell me they were the best snickerdoodles she's ever had- so that's quite a compliment! DH really likes them too. I would definitely make them again, probably just bake them for the full 15 min instead of just 12. I have the chocolate gingerbread dough made but haven't baked them yet, so that's next.

Jen, I don't know there was something about them, tasted like flour and baking soda. I don't know if you've ever bit into a cookie and can taste the baking soda in it? Ick!!!! I was upset because I thought they would come out really good, the banana one's won me over in a heart beat though!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Trace143
    This is my daughter's new "favorite Cookbook"! We've made Pumpkin Pie Squares (p 114). Gave it 5 stars. We've also really like Chocolate bliss cookies (37), The Ultimate Brownies (129), the Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies (130), and the Brownie Biscotti (162). Yummy! Tonight we are trying Chunky apple bars....p 123.

The only "dud" we made was the Oatmeal Raisin (45). I think that we are just used to the "full fat" version that has been a family staple.
    I made the chunky apple bars. Very yummy. Not too sweet, nice and moist. They were more like a cake or sweet bread than a bar to me though. I used the panache (???) icing they recommended too. I personally found that to be way too sweet. BUT everyone else who had some said it was the best part. Must just be me.

I bought this book because of the high praise it go here ($1.83 on Amazon.com ). Wasn't sure what to do first, but decided on several and then took them into work today. I made the Banana Nut Bars, Chunky Apple Bars, Spiced Zucchini Bars ( with raisins and pecans), and the Sweet Carrot Pumpkin Bars. They all were well received and disappeared quickly! My personal favorite was the Carrot Pumpkin - I put the chopped dried apricots in them and they were wonderful! My only complaint is they really aren't what I would call a "cookie" - they were more of a snack cake. Has anyone tried them in a larger pan so they aren't as thick? When I first read the calorie counts, they seemed high - but cutting an 8 x 8 pan into 12 bars is a generous bar. I made 5 cuts each way, and ended up with 25 small squares. They were a nice size - especially since I made 4 kinds and people wanted to try more than one. I am anxious to try more cookies from this book.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

I made the Monster Cookies today and they are yummy! Not quite as rich and peanut buttery as the ones my mother used to make, but I wasn't expecting them to be since there is less PB in this recipe for similar amounts of oats. Still, these are very tasty, and the cookies are nice and thick with a dense, hearty texture. Slightly crisp edges and chewy everywhere else. The recipe description said they'd be crispy, but I didn't bake them long enough for that (on purpose). I made my cookies twice as big as the recipe called for, used full-fat PB instead of light, and added twice the amount of M&Ms (full-size ones, not minis)...so I guess I un-smarted the Smart Cookies!

Kari

Kari, is that Monster cookie floating around on the board somewhere? I'll probably buy the book, but if it's posted, I'd like to snap up the recipe. Don't go to the trouble of typing it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by annagins
    Kari, is that Monster cookie floating around on the board somewhere? I'll probably buy the book, but if it's posted, I'd like to snap up the recipe. Don't go to the trouble of typing it, though.
    I don't think it's been posted, for sure not by me anyway. It wouldn't be too much trouble at all for me to type it up if you want to try it before you buy the book. Just say the word!

Kari

What the heck...I'm not doing anything right now, and others may enjoy this recipe, too, so I'll go ahead and add it to this thread.

Monster Cookies

1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
    1/2 cup light peanut butter
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    1 large egg
    1 large egg white
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 cups oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup chocolate chips
    1/4 cup M&Ms Minis (chopped plain M&Ms)

Preheat oven to 350F.

Combine butter and peanut butter in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, egg, egg white, and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Add the oats, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and M&Ms; mix well.

Drop spoonfuls of dough about 2" apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden. Let cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring to a wire rack.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.

Per cookie: 146 cals, 5.9g fat (1.5g sat), 21.5g carbs, 9.6mg chol, 128.7mg sod, 1.7g fib, 35% cals from fat

**Kari's ntoes: Excellent! Not as rich or PB-y as my mother's recipe, but still very tasty! Dense, thick, and hearty with slightly crispy edges and a chewy middle. I made bigger cookies, getting 12 from the recipe, but still just baked them for about 16 minutes so they wouldn't get too crispy, as I like some chewiness to my cookies. I used full-fat PB, old-fashioned oats, and 1/2 cup of regular M&Ms instead of the 1/4 cup of minis.

Thanks Kari! I'll probably give these a try. I like your idea of stuffing them with M&M's (or whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by annagins
    Thanks Kari! I'll probably give these a try. I like your idea of stuffing them with M&M's (or whatever).
    Yeah the combo of semisweet chips and M&Ms was really good in these, but you could change it up with whatever chips/candies/nuts you wanted. My mother always made Monster Cookies with semisweet chips, M&Ms, and Reese's Pieces, and she loaded the dough with them. When I was mixing in the chips and M&Ms yesterday, it just seemed like there oughtta be more of 'em in there, so I threw in the extra M&Ms.

Kari

My only complaint is they really aren't what I would call a "cookie" - they were more of a snack cake. Has anyone tried them in a larger pan so they aren't as thick?
    I thought the same thing! I tried them (zucchini cranberry and zucchini brownies) in an 11 x 7 pan and thought they were better....not sure if a 9 x 13 would be too small...

Sheila in MD

Yesterday I made Everyone's Favorite (Oatmeal Chocolate Chip) Cookies and thought they were pretty good! They're not my favorite cookie ever, and they don't taste like either oatmeal cookies or chocolate chip cookies, IMO. I thought they were like thick, dense brown sugar cookies with chocolate chips in them. Tasty, but not what I was expecting from the title. They have a great texture that is crispy on the edges, top, and bottom, and chewy inside, and they even got those crackly tops like you see in some bakery cookies. I did miss the butter flavor, and would add some butter flavoring next time to see if it makes a difference. I got 8 good-size cookies from half the recipe. They also keep well and didn't get soft after sitting for several hours in a tupperware.

Kari

I made Cornmeal Maple Walnut Twists today. Julie calls for pecans but I used walnuts instead and changed some other things. I thought these were very tasty (I've had more than my fair share today!) Pictures and recipe are up on the blog if anyone wanted it...
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

I made the Chocolate Pecan Brown Sugar Bundles today for DH (he actually sat down with the book and picked these out as they sounded interesting to him ) They are meringue cookies, not really bundles, but still very yummy! they are VERY sweet so beware if you aren't a sweet fan. They are almost like eating a s'more in a cookie! the egg white part is fluffly like a marshmallow (well, kinda fluffy-ish), the brown sugar/nuts gives it a graham flavor and the chocolate chips, well, add the chocolate part! They are very addictive too!
    SweetPea's Pods and Munchkin Caps! www.podsandcaps.com

Thumbs up

I made the Banana Oatmeal Cookies tonight to get rid of my black bananas and they are really yummy! The original recipe called for raisins with a variation that you could omit the raisins and add chocolate chips, butterscotch chips or peanut butter chips. I decided to use cinnamon chips. I think toasted walnuts or pecans would also be good in these. Oh and I also used 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour for 1/2 the white flour. They are very cakey and don't spread much. I put my dough in the freezer for a little bit though, so that might have played into them not spreading. It says it makes 2 dozen and I got 26. You could stretch the batch further though if desired.

"Just one of these cookies will provide a young child with 122% of his or her recommended daily intake of vitamin B6 and 47% of his or her RDI of magnesium, as well as being rich in thiamin, phosphorus, folate and iron."

I made the Creamy Pumpkin Pie Bars a few weeks ago and those were also yummy! I used 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour in the crust. And next time I will omit the brown sugar (it's only 2 T. and they were plenty sweet) and use the whole can of pumpkin. I don't remember now, but I'm sure I upped the spices. I might have even used pumpkin pie spice in place of all the spices. Of course they weren't too light when I served them with real whipped cream! Hey, it was for company.

I made the Oatmeal Raisin Cookies last night and actually liked them. Of course full-fatted oatmeal cookies are better, but I thought the texture and taste were right on. Crispy on the edges, but soft on the middle. I did add a little more cinnamon and next time I would drecrease the raisins a little because I thought there were too many in the cookies. They were a nice size too.
    "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!" Dave Barry

Would someone please post the Pumpkin Pie Square recipe? Thanks,

Jenny