Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Moosewood vegetarian lasagna recipe

ISO: Moosewood vegetarian lasagna recipe

Hi all,

I'm looking for a vegetarian moosewood lasagna recipe - it has spinach in it, lots of cheese, a homemade red sauce - I'm supposed to make it this Sunday for company, and my husband had it in his own homemade cookbook - he doesn't know that I'm a horrible person and I removed it from the binder to photocopy for a friend - long story short - we moved, and I can't find it! Help!! Anyone have it?

Moosewood res.

1 tbls. canola or other Veg. oil
    2 tbls. unbleached white flour
    2 1/2 cups 1% Milk
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/2 tsp dijon mustard
    salt & ground black pepper to taste
    1 tsp olive oil
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups chopped leeks, white & tender green parts
    1/2 tsp dreid thyme
    1 cup dry white wine
    1 1/2 cups pelled & diced carrots
    1/2 cup pelled & diced broccoli stalks
    2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
    3 cups canned tomates 28 once can
    1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
    3/4 pound uncooked las. noodles (they rec. using uncooked lots of tomatoe sauce and cover with foil)
    1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup grated lowfat mozzarella

Warm oil in sm. sauce pan ans then stir in flour. Slowly whisk in milk,
    1/2 cup at time. continue to cook, stirring often, until sauce thickens a bit.
    bechamel will not be very thick at end. Remove from heat and set aside.

In heavy non stick skillet, on med. heat, warm olive oil. Add garlic & leeks,
    thyme saute for 2 -3 min. Add wine, carrots & broccoli stalks, cover and cook for about 5 min. Add borccoli florets, cover & cook for 3-4 min until all veggies are tender but firm.Add salt & pepper to taste & set aside.

Pour canned tomatoes and juice into a bowl and crush tomatoes by hand.
    Add fresh basil and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

prepare 8x12 inch baking dish w/ cooking spray. Assemble the lasagne. Layer half of tomtoe basil mixture on bottom of dish, then add single layer of noodles. half od veggies, a cup of bechamel, 1/4 cup of parmesan and 2 tbls of mozz. cheese. Top with second layer of noodlesrest of vweggies, bechamel, add third layer of noodles, rest of tomatoe basil mixture of remaing cheeses.

Cover and cook for 50 minutes. Uncover cook for an additional 10 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes after cooking then serve.

Enjoy.

I was just wondering how many servings this lasagna makes?

TIA

Thanks mcdmtt - that's not the one i'm thinking of, although it looks yummy! The one I've made in the past has no other veggies besides lasagna. I wish I knew what book it came from!

Originally from Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook:

SAUCE
    2-3 Tblsp. olive oil
    2 cups chopped onion
    1 med. sized bell pepper, diced
    2 med. stalks celery, minced
    1 lb. mushrooms
    1-2 med. (6") zucchini, diced
    2-3 med. sized ripe tomatoes, chopped
    handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
    2 tsp. dried basil
    2 tsp. dried oregano
    1 tsp. dried thyme
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1 28 oz. can tomatoes
    1 6 oz. can tomato paste
    1 Tblsp. honey
    lots of black pepper
    4-6 large cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup fresh minced parsley

Heat oil in deep saucepan. Add vegetables, herbs (except parsley), and salt. Saute over med. heat until onion is very soft (15 min.). Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, honey and black pepper. Use a spoon to break up tomatoes into bit sized pcs. Bring to boil, then lower heat and simmer, partially covered at least 30 min. Add garlic and cook 10 min. more. At this point, the sauce can sit for up to several hours or be refrigerated up to a week, or frozen.

Heat gently before serving and add parsley at the last minute.

FOR LASAGNE
    1 batch of sauce
    12 lasagne noodles, uncooked
    1 1/2 to 2 cups ricotta or cottage cheese (lowfat OK)
    1 lb. grated or thinly sliced mozzerella cheese
    1/2 cup grated parmesan Romano, or Asiago cheese

Preheat oven to 375. Sread some sauce in bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish. Cover with 4 lasagne noodles (break as necessary to fit pan). Place mounds of ricotta cheese here & there (use half). Add 1/3 of the sauce followed by 1/2 mozzarella, randomly scattered. Repeat. Cover with remaining noodles. Cover noodles with sauce. Sprinkle parmesan on top. Bake for 45 - 60 min, covered with foil.
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

Donnam,

If you find the recipe or the book it came from can you please let me know. I am very interested cause it sounds delicious!

Moosewood may also have more than one recipe for lasagna, so it might just be in a different book!

Good luck in your search!

Could this be it?

Spinach Lasagne from the Moosewood Cookbook

Tomato sauce (home-made or jarred, as much to your liking)
    12 lasagne noodles, partially cooked
    2 cups non-fat ricotta cheese and 2 beaten egg equivalents
    1/2 lb. raw spinach, washed, dried and chopped
    1 lb. shredded non-fat mozzarella
    1/2 cup non-fat parmesan or romano
    dash nutmeg (optional) mixed into ricotta
    2 Tblsp. wheat germ, mixed into ricotta

Spread some sauce on bottom of baking dish. Cover with 4 noodles, Dollop with 1/2 of your filling mix (ricotta and spinach). Top with 1/3 of remaining sauce. Sprinkle on 1/2 of shredded mozzarella. Cover with 4 more noodles, and dollop on rest of filling. Top with another 1/3 of sauce. Sprinkle on remaining mozzarella. Cover with last 4 noodles, rest of sauce and parmesan. Bake at 375 for 45 - 60 min. Let stand 10 min. before serving.
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

Here's what I have:

From (The New) Enchanted Broccoli Forest: Lasagna al Pesto (has spinach, but uses pesto instead of red sauce)

From Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook (New Revised Ed): Lasagne (very basic, uses red sauce, but doesn't call for spinach)

From New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant: Spinach Lasagna Bechamel (uses spinach, but it's a white sauce, not red)

From Low Fat Favorites: Vegetable Lasgna Bechamel (uses both a white and a red sauce, but calls for LOTS of difference veggies, and no spinach, also has white wine)

also from LFF: Lighter Lasagne (red wine, red sauce, spinach, and lots of other veggies)

None of these sounds exactly like what you're looking for; maybe it was in an older version of the original books, or in one of the newer ones I don't have. Regardless, I'm happy to type any of these up if you want one!

Editing to add that Lillith's version looks like the right one...Lillith, you must have the original Moosewoord, since the one in my edition isn't that one. I like yours better!
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

Quote Originally Posted by beckms
    Editing to add that Lillith's version looks like the right one...Lillith, you must have the original Moosewoord, since the one in my edition isn't that one. I like yours better!
    Actually, I don't have the cookbook but had the lasagne at a friend's a long time ago, loved it and my friend gave me the recipe. Hope this is the one being sought!!

All of these look so good but not the one I have made several times. Perhaps my husband had gotten the source wrong when making up his cookbook. I can always make one of these - just want to make sure I do a veggie main and lasagna is generally a good one that meat eaters will also enjoy!

Donnam- I think I have the recipe you want--it's from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites, and I've made it often. I will go ahead and post it, but give me a minute to find the cookbook and the recipe. I don't have MC, so this will take a minute to type in.

Lighter Lasagne, from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites

This lasagne is so rich with vegetables, herbs, and wine that you'll never mis the extra cheese and fat that we're accustomed to finding in standard recipes.

Serves 6-8, preparation time 40 minutes, baking time 60-70 minutes.

2 cups cubed zucchini
    1 cup cubed bell peppers
    1 cup chopped tomatoes
    4 cups sliced mushrooms (about 12 ounces)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup dry red wine
    3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    10 ounces fresh spinach, rinsed
    2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
    1 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1 recipe Tomato Wine sauce (page 350) or 3 1/2 cups prepared tomato sauce
    1 pound uncooked lasagne noodles (see Note, page 216)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, mushrooms, salt, and wine in a saucepan, bring to a boil, cover, and then simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes, until all of the vegetables are tender and juicy. Stir in the basil and set aside.

Cover and cook the spinach on high heat in just the water clinging to the leaves for 3 minutes, until wilted but still bright green. Drain and chop coarsely. Combine with the cottage cheese, mozzarella, and Parmesan and set aside.

Spread 1 cup of the tomato sauce evenly on the bottom of a 3-inch deep nonreactive 8 x 12-inch baking dish. Layer with 5 or 6 noodles, 1 generous cup of undrained veggies, and 1 cup of the spinach-cheese mixture. Cover with a second layer of noodles, 1 cup of sauce, 1 heaping cup of veggies, 1 cup of the spinach-cheese mixture, and a third layer of noodles. Finally, add the rest of the veggies, the remaining spinach-cheese mixture, a fourth layer of noodles, and the rest of the sauce. Cover tightly with foil and bake until the noodles are tender, about 60 minutes. Let sit at least 10 minutes before cutting.

Note from page 216: it basically tells you not to bother pre-cooking the noodles. I always put mine in raw, and they always turn out fine.

I'm going to go ahead and post this, and then post the sauce recipe separately. Sorry for any typos.

Tomato Wine Sauce

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 cup finely chopped onions (about 1 medium)
    2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 teaspoons ground fennel
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1/3 cup red wine
    3 cups undrained canned tomatoes (28 ounce can)
    salt and ground black pepper to taste

In a saucepan, warm the olive oil. Add the onions and garlic, sprinkle with the salt, cover, and saute on very low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onions are beginning to soften. Add the fennel, oregano, and basil and cook for another minute. Pour in the wine and bring to a boil. Whirl the tomatoes in a blender until just pureed and add to the pan. Cover the sauce and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.

A note on the side of the page says that if you double the recipe, don't double the oil, and that it will keep refrigerated for at least a week and frozen for several months.

Donnam, I hope this was the recipe you wanted. If not, I can recommend it, having made it many times. Vegetarians and carnivores generally both like it.

For anyone who hasn't made it, I'll add my notes. I've never made the sauce, but it seems like a fairly easy recipe. I use Classico tomato-basil sauce, and use about two jars. My pan is larger than what the recipe calls for, so I have to increase the amounts of veggies and cheese mixture. (I can post those if anyone's interested.) I use more wine than is called for, because 1/3 cup doesn't seem like enough. Don't be tempted to make this in a pan any shallower than 3 inches, because it will be too full. I always put the noodles in raw, and they always turn out just fine. I often add some carrot to the veggie mix.

Thanks, Kyra

Man Moosewood has alot of delicious sounding recipes. I will be making one of these, that's for certain!

Nutritional info

Kyra - do you know the nutritional info on the low-fat lasagna? I think that book includes it? Fat grams per serving, fibre, and calories? I am a WWer so that would be awesome if it was available!

Not Kyra, but I have the nutritional breakdown:

Per 12-oz serving: 218 calories, 17.7gm protein, 5.8gm fat, 22.9 gm carbohydrates, 3.2 gm saturated fatty acids, 0.5gm polyunsaturated fatty acids, 1.6 gm monounsaturated fatty acids, 35mg cholesterol, 480mg sodium, 2.9gm total dietary fiber.

Gosh - never noticed how detailed their nutritional info was. Probably much more information than you really wanted!

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

That's only 4 points per serving. that's super low! Awesome - will make this on Sunday and serve a nice salad to go with. Might even be able to have a glass of wine to go with!

excellent!

Awesome choice

I made the Low-Fat Veggie Lasagna from Moosewood's Low-Fat favourites. It was, i think, the best vegetarian lasagna I've ever made. The only changes I made (which admittedly made it slightly less non-fat) was to add a bit of cheese on the top layer - it didn't seemright just to have sauce. I kept it to a minimum coverage, but grated up a bit of extra mozzarella, asiago, and parmesan and sprinkled it on top for the last 15 minutes or so. The fresh spinach was what did it - so good. Or maybe it was the homemade tomato wine sauce - very nice flavour. Yum! I'll be making this again - I also used whole wheat noodles, which to me added a lot of 'toothsomeness'.

Served with a green salad with a creamy dill dressing I made, and harvest pear crisp for dessert. All around a nice meal.

MW Veg Lasagne with spinach

Why don't you just call the restaurant and ask what book it's in. Maybe someone would e-mail it to you.

Suz

This thread enticed me to make the Moosewood Lighter Lasagna recipe. I also made the Tomato WIne Sauce to go into the recipe. The lasagna was excellent! DH said it was the best vegetarian lasagna he has ever had. Thanks for getting this thread started so I could find a great recipe!

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King