Community Message Boards

Thread: Tempur-Pedic Mattress or the like..?

Tempur-Pedic Mattress or the like..?

Anyone have a therapeutic mattress? DH is making noise about wanting one. I'd just like comments and opinions. I am getting really tired of hunting for a mattress he'll like. (This will be the 4th in a handful of years) He complains about shoulder and hip pain. This quest started because of back problems. He hasn't experienced any back pain from our bed now but, like I said, his shoulder and hip hurt if he stays in one position too long. TIA!

Oh, we currently have a pillow-top I think it's a Serta
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

I'm unhappy with out Tempurpedic. It's too hard, and I wake up aching. It also seems to hold a lot of heat. Our room gets really cold in the winter, so I pile on blankets when I go to bed. I wake up sweating in the middle of the night, and no amount of blanket removal helps.

DH loves the bed.

I kind of wish we had looked into the Select Comfort. He could have his side all hard like the floor, and I could be having nice, comfy featherlike sleep.
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

The Radisson has Select Comfort mattresses in some rooms. You can try out the beds to see if you like them. We thought we'd love it, but we don't. I'm so glad we didn't buy it.

We thought we'd love the Tempurpedic bed. I love the give, but I was hating how I felt like I was stuck in one place and had to kinda jump to move out of my position. I also thought I would get hot like Colleen said. My husband and I found a regularmattress that had a pillow top that was made of Tempurpedic foam. That is perfect. You get the feel and give of the foam, but you don't feel like you're stuck in foam jello. I have joint pain, and it all went away with this bed. We hate going away because we have to leave our bed. We have had this bed for over 2 years now and still love it. You have to rotate the mattress every couple of months to keep from getting hollows in the foam, but it isn't a big deal. The foam bounces right back.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Here is a thread about the Tempur-pedic:

Tempur-pedic

We have one and still love it! We have had it for quite a few years. It takes a while to get used to...it is firm. They have a long trial period (or did when we got ours) so you can try it out.

I used to wake up everytime my husband rolled over...I could have sworn he was bouncing 3 feet in the air when he turned over! I cant feel him moving around at all now!

You really have to try it...some people love it and others hate it...it really is that different from other mattresses.

Hope this helps a little!
    Life is Good

I LOVE my tempurpedic mattress! We also have the pillows. I have no problem with it being hot, and I am EXTREMELY warmblooded.

My pillow goes with me wherever I go....wish I could take the mattress!

Unhappy

Do you just buy the mattress or do you need the box spring also? We have a King size that is not too old. It's a Sealy top of the line. I would love to try a Tempur-pedic. Are they sold in sets? What do you think a king size would cost? I hate to buy it and then hate it.

I suffered from excrutiating hip pain until I bought my Tempurpedic mattress. The hip pain was gone in the first week of sleeping on my new mattress. It is a godsend, and if I ruined it today I would buy a new one tomorrow. It took a few days to get used to, as you do sort of "settle into" it. The advantage of that eventually is that you quit tossing and turning, just giving into the lovely sensation of "nesting". My husband had terrible, horrible, very bad "restless legs syndrome" (a real diagnosis, google it) which was virtually eliminated with this mattress. My two cents, for what it's worth.

I have a visco topped (like tempurpedic) Chatam and Wells ridiculously expensive HORRIBLE bed. We tried to return it 90 days after we got it, 30 days too late. It is a "hot bed of lava", as we call it. We got air conditioning installed just so we could sleep. We are stuck with the expensive bed for awhile.

Pros: Nice and soft. Perfect the first 10 minutes, cradles us like a baby. I can't feel my husband flip, and I don't wake up from him moving.

Cons: Really HOT HOT HOT. The guy at Sit n' Sleep admitted it was intended for a bedroom temp of 65 degrees. Not too easy in So. Cal. if you aren't cranking the air down. I wake up every night at 2 pm. I have replaced my coverlet and blankets with layers of flannel sheets as blankets that I peel off like onion skins as I get hotter and hotter as the body heat collects in this mattress. Nightclothes must be carefully chosen to correspond to the predicted heat of the evening. We have a wool pillow top too, and this sucker is so thick, we can't get anymore toppers on it and still find fitted sheets, let alone catapult ourselves into it. (I think this bed is going to have to go before Menopause- I'm in my early 40's.)

This is one of my favorite complaining topics. Thanks for letting me vent. I've looked into natural fiber beds, but I must say, I do like the lack of motion. And I'm not ready to fork over another crazy pile of money for another experiment.

BEWARE unless you and your partner are perpetually cold and live in a cold clime.

Quote Originally Posted by pattyp.
    Do you just buy the mattress or do you need the box spring also? We have a King size that is not too old. It's a Sealy top of the line. I would love to try a Tempur-pedic. Are they sold in sets? What do you think a king size would cost? I hate to buy it and then hate it.
    Unless you have a platform bed, you will need the foundation part of the Tempurpedic set as well - you can't place their mattress on a regular box spring. And yes, the sets are fairly expensive. We've looked at them in the past but have been turned off so far by the comments about heat (despite that every salesperson we've talked to claims that's a myth). A basic king set will run you about $2000.

If you're interested in trying one out first, there are hotels that have them:

http://www.tempurpedic.com/tempurcmsvb/company/hotels/

I would definitely spend the money to stay the night at a hotel and try one out first before buying it.

My mattress does not have a wool top and is made of regular mattress cover material. (although there were models that did have wool covers--I thought they would be really hot) We do like our bedroom cool at night, but we have gone without air conditioning and have been comfortable. I also have occaisional hot flashes (even though I'm young), and I don't find my mattress hotter than any other. I'm pretty sure it is a King Koil, but I didn't see it on their website. I do know that you have to flip ours.

I don't sleep in the same position all night long. I have to move. I just thought that the regular tempurpedic mattress would make me feel like I couldn't freely move.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

We didn't spend a night on the bed, but I found the beds on display at Brookestone to be deceptive. Hundreds of people have sat on the beds, so they're really soft and comfy. We jump on our bed and walk on it, but I can't get my side soft enough for me. I think if you don't have problems with heat and you like a firm mattress, you'll be fine.

You dont have to buy the foundation from T-Pedic. Any solid foundation will work. )but not a box spring) That is why it is nice to buy where they dont sell thme as a set.

As for trying it, there is a 90 night sleep trial. If you arent happy, you can return it. We got ours from Brookstone, so we knew if we needed help, they would be a go-between for us with T-Pedic. We have been sooo happy with ours! Plus, usually T-Pedic is offering 2 free pillows and free shipping. If you can find a deal like that from them or any other company, Brookstone will match it, and you still get their great customer service.

You dont have to buy the foundation from T-Pedic. Any solid foundation will work. That is why it is nice to buy where they dont sell them as a set.

As for trying it, there is a 90 night sleep trial. If you arent happy, you can return it. We got ours from Brookstone, so we knew if we needed help, they would be a go-between for us with T-Pedic. We have been sooo happy with ours!

Thanks a ton everyone!!! This is excellent. I am just going to print off the whole thread and take it to DH.

A huge thanks for posting the hotels that have them. DH travels a lot and maybe he can find one now.

It has crossed my mind to get 2 twin beds the way he is burning thru mattress'! Me and the cat are still mad about having to give away the soft side water bed! (And that was 3 beds ago)

I am little concerned about the heat retention. I'm afraid hot flashes are in my near future.

Thanks again and feel free to add to this!

Also, thanks for the link to the thread, I searched before I posted but you know how that goes!

Would buying one of the expensive pads be a way of seeing how the mattress might feel without committing right away. A 90 day guarantee isn't of much use to me because I would have no place to store a mattress for 90 days so at the end of 90 days I would have to purchase an immediate replacement anyway.

I have been developing what I think is trachenteric bursitis in one hip and I would love to find a mattress that alleviated the pain. My friend has the Duxelle which I used when I house sat which is awesome -- on the other hand I really don't want to spend $6000 on a mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by blazedog
    . My friend has the Duxelle which I used when I house sat which is awesome -- on the other hand I really don't want to spend $6000 on a mattress.
    No doubt! Wholly smokes. $2000 is more than what I want to pay but it'll be a moot point if DH is comfy.

I did suggest just the pad but we already have the pillow top and a set of my sheets already don't fit the bed. This is irksome.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk
    No doubt! Wholly smokes. $2000 is more than what I want to pay but it'll be a moot point if DH is comfy.

I did suggest just the pad but we already have the pillow top and a set of my sheets already don't fit the bed. This is irksome.
    I do know they sell sheets with extra deep pockets because mattresses are so much thicker -- don't know if you already have those.

Regarding the tempurpedic pad -- does it provide any of the same benefits or at least some of the benefits so that one could determine whether the mattress should be bought.

Does anyone have any experience with the clones? I've seen ads but I haven't gone mattress shopping/testing.

I don't have a Tempur-Pedic mattress, but I do have a story to share.

Last month, while waiting for work to be completed on our RV, we wandered over to a strip mall. After a while, we went into a mattress store. We explained that we were just bored, and didn't want to waste anyone's time. By sheer chance, the Tempur-Pedic rep was there and he was between tasks too. He asked if we would like a "guided tour" of Tempur-Pedic mattresses. Sure. Why not?

The next forty-five minutes were very interesting, as the rep loved his product and loved showing it off. As we lay on the five mattresses they had in stock, we learned that there are three levels of firmness, that they come in regular and adjustable frames (like a hospital bed), and that one configuration of the king-sized mattress is a common foundation with twin mattresses on top. (This could be handy if bed partners prefer different firmnesses.)

They use synthetic foam, and I asked about latex alternatives, such as European Sleep System. He noted that latex allergies are quite common. (Of course, the latex people note that there are people who are allergic to synthetic foam as well.) One suggestion I have heard is to try using a Tempur-Pedic pillow first to make sure that you don't have a problem.

I also asked about adjustable air mattresses. His story was that 1) many of his customers were coming to Tempur-Pedic after using the air mattresses, and 2) the air pockets don't "breathe" as well as the foam.

If, at some point, we decide to buy an expensive mattress, trying it out in a hotel seems like an excellent idea. (Thanks, Aggie94, for the link.)

Kay

Kay, thank you very much for taking the time to type that up. That is an excellent point about trying a pillow. And think we'd probably have to seriously consider the adjustable one. Thanks again.

I do have to say that when I was really having the heat problem, the reps told us to take the cover off and just use a sheet. It has really helped all summer. I'm hoping that it won't be a problem in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk
    Me and the cat are still mad about having to give away the soft side water bed! (And that was 3 beds ago)
    I had one of those... until one of the chambers burst and ruined the mattress AND the boxspring. water+wood=disaster Of course the warranty had just run out. Good thing I happened to notice before it ruined the floor. The top of the mattress was dry, and I didn't notice a difference in how the mattress felt.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB