Community Message Boards

Thread: What to write in a baptism card??

What to write in a baptism card??

DH and I are going to a baptism and I couldn't find a card at the store for baptisms/christenings. So, I just got a blank card. My question is, what do I write in it? We are not religious whatsoever so, writing something religious is just not something I'm comfortable doing -- I feel that it wouldn't be sincere if I did. Are congratulations in order? I'm at a loss for words when it comes to this.

Thanks!

Keep in mind that I'm jewish. I would just write something like 'congratulations on this special day'.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Bump. I hope someone responds. We are expecting this to come up soon for us soon and have no clue what is appropriate. We are not religious but don't want to offend, and ignoring the occasion doesn't seem appropriate either.
    "If the world were a logical place, men would ride side saddle." Rita Mae Brown

It surprises me that you could not find a card for baptism, I know they make them.
    Valerie, you might want to take a look at a "Christian" Card/Book store.
    As for what to say in the card, I would just write something as mentioned already "Congradulations" and so on. What I found is that out of the friends and family that we invited there were differences in the cards/greetings.
    If they were religious they were signed stating how great this was to "bless this child" and congradulations to the God Parents/Sponsers, and to welcome this child into the house of God.
    Others were just signed with the names and a quick congrads.
    The main thing is that you aknowledge the day as special for the family. It is a very special day for them. On my DD's babtism they also received candles to be lit every aniversary of their baptism just like a birthday, that is how special it is.
    Hope this helps
    Kim
    Take time to laugh, it's the music of the soul

My son was baptized in August and most of the cards we got were designed to be baptism cards, but there were a few blank ones.

I would just write something along the lines of what Tyra said. "Congratulations on the Baptism of your Son/Daughter," etc. While I am a Christian I find that some people who baptize their children do it for the tradition more than anything. Either way, it is a big event for parents and I think it's wonderful that you are going! They will appreciate any type of sentiment I am sure. I was also going to mention that if you are close enough to these friends to want to buy a gift for the baptism that is not a baby Bible, religious book, etc - my favorite thing we got was a nice picture frame that said, "Baby's Baptism," on it. It does not even have to say anything on it and new parents are always looking for places to display photos of their new little one. A photo album would be nice as well.
    Michelle

Michelle,

Thanks for the gift suggestions. We will be attending a baptism the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I think I'm going to look for the picture frame or possibly a picture album.

So, do we address the card to the parents or the child being baptized? Both? We got the baby an outfit and a couple of books as a gift. I don't know if that is appropriate or not but, it is what we feel comfortable giving. I'm sure just the thought will be appreciated by our friends.

You should be very careful what you write.

If you accidentally address it to the child instead of the parents, I hear they might send the baptism possee after you.

Relax, it's just a card.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by zwieback
    So, do we address the card to the parents or the child being baptized? Both? We got the baby an outfit and a couple of books as a gift. I don't know if that is appropriate or not but, it is what we feel comfortable giving. I'm sure just the thought will be appreciated by our friends.
    I would think it would dependon the age of the person being baptized (or what the card said). I would address a card to an infant to the parents and have the card say something about the child's baptism. If the child was older (or the card was directed to the person being baptised) then address it to them. Make sense?
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I would address the card to the baby/person getting baptized- it's their special day/event.
    As far as what to say...."Congratulations [insert name] on your special day." I'm religious & would find this very appropriate.
    Hallmark has a variety if baptism/christening cards next to the new baby cards.
    Bakers have the best buns.
    "Cookie Bearchild" by Boyds Bear