Community Message Boards

Thread: Crystalized Ginger Question?

Question Crystalized Ginger Question?

I'm blushing while I ask this question, but I am getting ready to use crystalized ginger for the first time. Recipe calls for 'chopped' ginger. What's the best way to chop this? I don't want to spend an hour with a chef's knife when simply EVERYONE knows you use a food processer!

I'm making the Double Ginger Cookies from CL 5/01, and it calls for 3/4 cup. Is this stuff pretty easy to chop by hand? Will it 'puree' in a food processer? I got it in bulk at the grocery, and the slices are pretty good sized, like slices of apple. HELP!

Smile

I hope this is some help to you: The crystallized ginger I bought at Penzey's isn't in huge chunks, so I've been able to chop it with my chef's knife. I think I'd really hesitate to try it in the food processor because of its inherent stickiness when it's cut. You might try sprinkling a bit of the sugar from the recipe over the ginger as you chop it. Good luck with the cookies.

jewel, i've read that it helps to coat your knife with cooking spray so the ginger doesn't keep sticking. maybe it would work to chop it all in the food processor if you coat the blade with cooking spray? i don't know, though - I've never tried it! good luck!

Thanks to the both of you. I used my chef's knife, but I hadn't read the tip yet about cooking spray! Jeepers that was tough! Harder still to get those little chunks to separate when I was trying to 'sprinkle' them into the flour mixture. Finally gathered up a bit of flour from the bowl to sprinkle over the little buggers in my hand, and they separated better.

Wonder if that stuff would chop better if frozen first? Seems to work with other sticky stuff! Dough for the cookies is chilling now, can't wait to get 'em in the oven. Thanks again!

I made this recipe weeks ago. I chopped the crystalized ginger in the food processor with no problems. I did not like these cookies however, much too powerful a ginger taste....I don't know if it's too much crystalized ginger or what, but as a ginger lover in other baked goods, I was disappointed in these. Jewel, I'm anxious to hear what you think.

I made this recipe weeks ago. I chopped the crystalized ginger in the food processor with no problems. I did not like these cookies however, much too powerful a ginger taste....I don't know if it's too much crystalized ginger or what, but as a ginger lover in other baked goods, I was disappointed in these. Jewel, I'm anxious to hear what you think.

Freezing will help to cut it. But I use kitchen shears and it works wonderfully.

Well, I made 'em...and I have mixed feelings. They LOOK beautiful. Look just like the photo! Probably the prettiest cookies I've made in a long time. But, DH and I both thought they tasted bland! I was interested to read that Philamark thought the ginger taste was too strong, because we honestly felt that there was hardly any ginger taste! I even doublet the ground ginger to 1 tsp! Maybe my crystalized ginger wasn't as potent or something, but we just didn't get that ginger SNAP (sorry, it was there and I had to use it! ) that we get with other ginger cookies!

My search for the perfect chewy, potent ginger cookie is still on.... and thanks for all the advice! Next time I think I'll freeze the stuff and try kitchen shears!

[This message has been edited by Jewel (edited 05-23-2001).]

I have noticed a significant difference in crystalized ginger. I bought two batches in bulk at Wild Oats.

The generic brand was very mild, not much ginger flavor at all.

The Reed's brand was very spicy and had a lot of zing (I prefered this).

This would be a significant factor in the flavor of your cookies. -JennyLiz

I made these cookies to bring in to work today. I used the crystallized ginger pieces from King Arthurs so I didn't need to chop it. I also used freshly grated ginger in place of the ground. Everyone at work really liked these cookies. I really think that the quality of your ginger is going to greatly affect your finished product.

Cheryl

Smile

Try buying your ginger in Trader Joe's.
    They have slices and chopped!

Thanks again, Ladies, I think my crystalized ginger was the culprit. DH dug into the bag of ginger that I had left tonight after tasting another cookie, and said "this stuff tastes like gummy bears!". Very little spice, just looked and tasted like one of those candy orange slices I used to eat as a kid that was rolled in sugar...only not orange flavored!

I'm so new at this I thought that ginger was ginger. Next time I'm at Trader Joe's I'll buy some and try these cookies again, unless someone has a better recipe! Thanks!

Jewel...here is a recipe from Martha Stewart that I love....it has chocolate in it but they are very good and gingery spicey. Good Luck

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chewy Chocolate-Gingerbread Cookies

Recipe By : Martha Stewart
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies/Bars Holiday

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    7 ounces best quality semisweet chocolate
    1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon cocoa powder
    8 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1 stick)
    1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
    1/2 cup dark-brown sugar -- packed
    1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
    1/4 cup granulated sugar

Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.

In bowl of electric mixer, beat butter and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar, beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.

In small bowl, dissolve baking soda in boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into butter mixture. Beat in baking-soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Roll dough into 1 1/2-inch balls; place, two inches apart, on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 13 to 15 minutes; let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Source:
    "Martha Stewart Living Magazine, December 1997/January 1988, page 220"
    Yield:
    "2 dozen"

NOTES : Sue's Notes: A great cookie--the fresh ginger gives it extra great flavor. This cookie has been part of my Christmas cookie collection.

Here is another that I have, but haven't tried yet. They sound good, that's probably why I have a copy! Hehe If you try them let me know how they come out.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grandma's Double Ginger Crackle Cookies

Recipe By :Jennifer Dodds
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies/Bars

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 cup shortening
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 egg
    1/4 cup molasses
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup chopped candied ginger
    1 tablespoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cloves
    extra granulated sugar

In large bowl cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in egg and molasses. In a separate bowl, mix together all other inngredients. Blend into the creamed mixture. Shape into small balls (about 1" in diameter). Roll in extra sugar. Place 2" apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 F for 8-10 min. or until golden brown. Don't overbake---cookies should be slightly soft when removed from the oven. Let cool on cookie sheet for a few minutes, then remove to racks to cool completely.

Source:
    "marthastewart.com"

NOTES: These cookies are a little hot, but really good!

[This message has been edited by Mamasue (edited 05-25-2001).]

Originally posted by philamark:
    I agree with you philamark, someone I know
    made these and I also was struck with their
    overwhelming ginger taste.

bringing to top for Jewel.....