Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISO: Stouffer's-type Mac and Cheese recipe

ISO: Stouffer's-type Mac and Cheese recipe

It's Kids' Choice Night here for dinner, and I'm trying to find a recipe for Mac and Cheese that is similar enough to Stouffer's version to please my five year old... I promised I wouldn't do anything 'funny' to her mac on Kids' Choice Night (like whole wheat pasta, the soy-tofu bechamel base I tried to sneak in once )

I would love to be able to freeze portions of this to have for desperate dinners in the future. Any Stouffer's copycats out there? I would like to avoid Velveeta if possible...

I found this one at Martha Stewart and the cream cheese is intriguing. Anybody tried it?

Macaroni and Cheese from MarthaStewart.com

Serves 4; Prep time: 30 minutes; Total time: 50 minutes

1 tablespoon melted butter, plus more for baking dishes

1/4 cup store-bought or 3/4 cup homemade breadcrumbs

1 pound grated white cheddar cheese (4 cups)

Salt and pepper

8 ounces elbow macaroni

1 1/4 cups whole milk

8 ounces cream cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400. Butter four 14-ounce ovenproof dishes. In a small bowl, toss 1 tablespoon melted butter with breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup cheddar.

2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni until al dente, according to package instructions; drain.

3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring milk to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; add cream cheese, cut into cubes, stir until melted, 2 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining cheddar until melted, 5 minutes. Add cooked pasta, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine.

4. Divide the mixture among prepared dishes. Bake until bubbling, 10 minutes. Remove from the oven; sprinkle with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake until golden, 10 minutes more.

I think if you made a basic white sauce and added a healthy portion of grated cheddar cheese that would do it. Mix with the cooked pasta, maybe bake it a bit to get that crusty stuff if the kid likes that.

I haven't made that particular one, but I have made Martha's Macaroni and Cheese 101. It's really, really good, but Oh, so bad for you! I actually just had some for dinner tonight. I made a batch and froze in individual portions. I also subbed whole-wheat pasta for the white and you really can't tell the difference, especially with the cheese. It disguises the "brown" color of the pasta.

I just made Mac and cheese tonight. I just cook the noodles on the stove with just enough water to cover about 1/2 inch above noodles. cook them longer than package says to evaporate most of the liquid. then i just add velveeta cheese and a little milk. the starch water helps it turn saucy. to me that's good simple mac and cheese. it's the kind my mom always made

I know that the staple in our house for Mac and Cheese is Alton Brown's stove top mac and cheese recipe. It certainly isn't light, but it always gets rave reviews and calls for second and third helpings at our dinner table. I apologize that I don't know how to post a link, but, if you go to the Food Network site, it's called: "Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese". Enjoy!

My husband loves this recipe and requests it often. If it can fit his tastebuds (up until I made this for him, his favorite was Kraft Mac and Cheese) I think it would work for what you're looking for!

Well, the Martha recipe I posted got a big thumbs down from my daughter. She generally doesn't like anything I cook these days, and I'm afraid she'll soon lose complete confidence if I can't replicate that stupid orange box in the next couple of tries I know that Mac and Cheese is not GOOD food, but it is her favorite and we let her choose a meal each week.

I saw that Alton Brown recipe in my searching today and almost made that instead. She likes a consistent creamy texture, without any crunchy stuff on top.

Is the Martha 101 recipe this one? I'm concerned about the gruyere for her... I need to figure out the cheese combination. I mixed colby jack and cheddar tonight, and she thought it was too sharp and cheddary.

Martha's Macaroni and Cheese

8 tablespoons unsalted butter -- (1 stick) plus more for dish
    6 slices white bread -- good quality, crusts removed and torn into 1/4 to 1/2 - inch peices
    5 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg -- freshly grated
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper -- freshly ground
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper -- or to taste
    4 1/2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese -- grated (about 18 oz)
    2 cups Gruyre cheese -- grated (about 8 oz.) or sub 1 1/4 cups grated Pecorino Romano
    1 pound elbow macaroni

1. Heat the oven to 375. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into the bowl with bread, and toss. Set bread crumbs aside.

2. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a high-sided skillet over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, whisking, 1 minute.

3. While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

4. Remove pan from heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyre or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside.

5. Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce

6. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyre or 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano, and bread crumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes; serve hot.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 575 Calories; 32g Fat (50.9% calories from fat); 26g Protein; 44g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 100mg Cholesterol; 806mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat.

NOTES : You can easily divide this recipe in half: Use a one-and-a-half-quart casserole dish.

Have you tried the Cooks Illustrated version of mac n cheese? They call for evaportated milk which keeps the sauce from curdling or separating and resulting in an extremely creamy and rich sauce.

I was going to type in the recipe for you, but remembered that it's posted on recipezaar. Here's the link: Stovetop Mac n Cheese I don't make it with breadcrumbs and usually just dump all the ingredients together with the cooked noodles.

I'm sure this is a little late but here's a CL Mac and Cheese that I love. First had it at Supper Club and then made during lent with broiled fish. It's very creamy.

Creamy Four-Cheese Macaroni

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 2/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina or Swiss cheese
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded extra-sharp
    cheddar cheese
    3 ounces light processed cheese (such as Velveeta Light)
    6 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup crushed onion melba toasts (about 12 pieces)
    1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened

Preheat oven to 375.
    Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick (about 8 minutes), stirring constantly. Add cheeses; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni and salt.

Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Combine crushed toasts and butter in a small bowl; stir until well-blended. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

CALORIES 350(29% from fat); FAT 11.2g (sat 6.3g,mono 2.9g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 18g; CHOLESTEROL 32mg; CALCIUM 306mg; SODIUM 497mg; FIBER 2.1g; IRON 1.9mg; CARBOHYDRATE 42.4g
    Cooking Light, OCTOBER 2000

Thank you for the recipes! The CI one seems similar to Alton Brown's stovetop recipe, using evaporated milk. A reviewer at recipezaar mentioned that CI had said that including some mozzarella worked well...maybe that would make it milder for picky-girl

I've made the CL four-cheese one, and though I enjoy it I think its flavor is too interesting for my daughter. My husband thinks she won't be happy until I make it with processed cheese products...so game on!

Amy's

I know it's not homemade, but Amy's makes some pretty good frozen macaroni and cheese entrees. The family I babysat for through college had a freezer stocked with them, and I gotta admit I always nuked one for myself as well...they're available at Whole Foods (and I'm sure other stores), and they have different varieties - regular, rice pasta, and soy cheeze, which gets my vote - and surprisingly enough, my boyfriend's! They're individually packaged, too, which makes it easy to serve a kid if you make something else for the adults.

This is the homemade version I use, I love this stuff!

Steves Moms Macaroni & Cheese

1 lb. of medium shells (or your preference of pasta shape)
    1 medium white onion grated on a box grater
    1 stick of butter or margarine
    1 lb. of Velveeta cheese, sliced thin
    8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    2 TB flour
    2-1/2 cups milk
    Salt and pepper
    3 slices sturdy white bread, grated

Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Cook pasta as directed on package.

Melt butter over medium heat in saucepan and add the grated onion. Saut for about 3 minutes. Add flour to onion mixture and stir well. Add milk and heat until hot (not boiling) stirring constantly. Add Velveeta cheese slice by slice allowing each piece to melt before adding the next, continually stirring (will take about 20 minutes). Add the shredded cheddar slowly and mix until melted, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.

Pour the prepared pasta into the baking dish, then pour cheese mixture over pasta and mix until combined. Top with the grated white bread. Bake in a 350 oven until bread crumbs are lightly toasted.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

OK, this one is NOT light and uses canned soups!

1 lb elbow macaroni
    1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
    2 cans Campbells cheddar cheese soup
    1 can milk

Boil macaroni til al dente. Blend together the cheese, soups and milk then add in the pasta. Grease or spray a large casserole dish (I use a 4 qt Corningware one), bake until lightly browned on top.

This stuff freezes great!!! Also much better the next day. *sigh* sooooo fattening though....*sniff*
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Quote Originally Posted by Apricot
    Have you tried the Cooks Illustrated version of mac n cheese? They call for evaportated milk which keeps the sauce from curdling or separating and resulting in an extremely creamy and rich sauce.

I was going to type in the recipe for you, but remembered that it's posted on recipezaar. Here's the link: Stovetop Mac n Cheese I don't make it with breadcrumbs and usually just dump all the ingredients together with the cooked noodles.
    I made this and thought it was quite good. Very creamy and cheesy. It was really quick to prepare and therefore would be nice to make on a weeknight. My DH didn't like the mustard however, so if I make it again I'll probably leave that ingredient out.

kbucky - "My husband thinks she won't be happy until I make it with processed cheese products..."

He is most probably right! The reason kids like the "safe" tastes (that their parents have long since outgrown,) is because the ARE safe to them, and because they will always taste exactly the same every time. Catsup is another one of those favorite tastes, as well! They do eventually get over it.

Kids usually are more conservative than anyone. (Rather to the right of Atilla the Hun!). I say, indulge her for the time being and in awhile, gradually help her to choose and add new cheeses. And, I am not saying - within 2 weeks, or even 2 months. Make it her time frame -- not yours. Aren't your tastes much more sophisticated now, than when they were when you were a child?

My DD LOVES Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese and she is 16 years old!!! If anyone ever finds a copycat recipe please let me know!

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by sab1976
    I made this and thought it was quite good. Very creamy and cheesy. It was really quick to prepare and therefore would be nice to make on a weeknight. My DH didn't like the mustard however, so if I make it again I'll probably leave that ingredient out.
    I'm so glad you enjoyed it. While it's my favorite recipe for mac n cheese, my 3 yr old son thinks my SIL's Kraft (from the blue box) is the best. Go figure!

Here are a few "clones"

Here is one I saw awhile back - never tried it myself so I can't offer input - but it got good reviews:

http://www.recipezaar.com/47573

cheesiest macaroni and cheese Recipe #47573

This is my personal recipe. I love Stouffers mac and cheese and I decided to take a chance at making my own this is pretty close and in a house of picky eaters the first time I made it it was gone in minutes. I have a rather large family so you can half the recipe to make for a smaller family. Also the larger recipe is good if you want to serve as a meal.

1 lb macaroni (I use either elbows or springs)
    4 cups milk
    1 1/2 lbs shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer to shred myself)
    1 lb mozzarella cheese
    4 tablespoons flour
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 medium onion, diced small
    salt and pepper

10-15 servings Change size or US/metric
    Change to: servings US Metric

1 hour 10 mins prep

Here is another one that claims to be a clone:

Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese

2 - 10 ounce packages Stouffer's Frozen Welsh Rarebit
    (defrosted)
    1 cup elbow macaroni
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Heat Welsh Rarebit in top of double boiler over rapidly
    boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes just until hot.

Cook macaroni following package directions. Drain well.

Pour Welsh Rarebit into a 2-quart casserole; add cooked
    macaroni, salt and sour cream. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with
    grated cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Serves 4.

This recipe is courtesy of Helen, and is a close clone recipe

Copycat recipelink.com Chat Room Recipe Swap Source: Insider's Recipes For Brand Name Foods

Stouffer's Macaroni and Cheese - Serves 4

2 (10 ounce) packages Stouffer's Frozen Welsh Rarebit, defrosted
    1 cup elbow macaroni
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat Welsh Rarebit in top of double boiler over rapidly boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes just until hot. Cook macaroni following package directions. Drain well. Pour Welsh Rarebit into a 2-quart casserole; add cooked macaroni, salt and sour cream. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

http://www.recipelink.com/gm/31/6211

I can vouch for the Martha's Macaroni and Cheese recipe- incredibly decadent, but probably not what kbucky's daughter is looking for! That recipe freezes nicely too- I make the full recipe and divide between two dishes, freezing one for later.

For those who have made either version of the stovetop mac-and-cheese- how prominent is the egg flavor? My DH hates eggy things but loves creamy mac and cheese, and if the egg just blends in with the other flavors he'd like it.

Wow, how did I miss all this replying to my thread?

Thanks for all the good suggestions, I will be weeding through them slowly. I also appreciate the word about 'safe' tastes...I was an EXTREMELY picky child, and now eat nearly everything (which is why I try to cook light! ) I'm trying to strike that balance of meeting her need for the predictable, while also expanding her taste experiences a bit. I'll try the recipes on non-Kid's Choice nights, and leave her to her Stouffer's then.

I'll check out the Amy's too!

If you're looking for something in a box- Annie's is our favorite Mac and Cheese.

However, I have had success here with the stove-top mac and cheese made with evaporated milk. (Not sure if it's Alton's or CI's- haven't made it in a while.) To make it more palate friendly for my kids, I leave out the mustard and for cheese I use a blend of gouda and cheddar. The cheddar adds flavor, while the gouda gives it a fabulous creamy consistency. It's so good, I have to use rigatoni instead of elbow macaroni because you get more cheese per noodle ratio.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Most mac and cheese recipes call for making a white sauce with flour and milk, which takes time. Not so with this recipe. Just boil the mac, add the rest and bake. The rich result is easy to cut into squares because it's not soupy. The hot sauce puts a little zing in all that richness.

MAKE AHEAD: Bake, cool, cover and refrigerate up to 1 day in advance; reheat covered in a 325-degree oven until heated through.

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    4 tablespoons ( 1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
    1 1/2 cups (12-ounce can) evaporated milk
    1/2 cup cream (either heavy or half-and-half)
    1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Louisiana Crystal sauce or Tabasco sauce, to taste
    About 3 cups ( 3/4 pound) sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    Sweet paprika

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking dish (or 2-quart casserole) with nonstick spray oil.

Fill a large pot with water and place over high heat. When the water comes to a boil, add 1 tablespoon salt and gradually add the macaroni so the water continues to boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8 to 9 minutes. Drain the macaroni in a colander, then rinse under cold running water for a few seconds. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the eggs and the melted butter, then add the milk, cream and hot sauce, stirring to combine. Add about 2 cups of the grated cheddar. Add the milk-cheese mixture to the macaroni and mix until just combined. Top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Per serving: 454 calories, 19 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 31 g fat, 148 mg cholesterol, 19 g saturated fat, 371 mg sodium, 1 g dietary fiber

Recipes tested by Candy Sagon; e-mail questions tofood@washpost.com

If you go to the Kraft Food website, they have a really good homemade macaroni and cheese recipe. I make this all of the time and always receive compliments and requests for the recipe. It is very creamy with a good cheese flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    Most mac and cheese recipes call for making a white sauce with flour and milk, which takes time. Not so with this recipe. Just boil the mac, add the rest and bake. The rich result is easy to cut into squares because it's not soupy. The hot sauce puts a little zing in all that richness.

MAKE AHEAD: Bake, cool, cover and refrigerate up to 1 day in advance; reheat covered in a 325-degree oven until heated through.

[/email]

I made this Baked Macaroni With Cheese recipe for brunch yesterday and it was quite a hit. Thanks for posting the recipe.
    newcook

Quote Originally Posted by newcook View Post
    I made this Baked Macaroni With Cheese recipe for brunch yesterday and it was quite a hit. Thanks for posting the recipe.
    Did this come out creamy? I see that it calls for 2 eggs. I once used a Paula Deen recipe that called for eggs and looked promising, but it curdled really bad and wasn't very creamy. I like the idea of just throwing in all the ingredients though so if you got good results I might just give this a try!

Oddly enough, just yesterday I was on the search for a good mac and cheese recipe. I recalled making Pammela's MIL recipe some years ago and I stumbeled upon this thread today! I know the original post stated no Velveta, but this one was really good! The onion gave it a nice tang too.
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Pammela and Patissac, is Steve's mom's recipe creamy & spoonable (but not runny, hopefully), as opposed to being able to cut it into squares like one of the other recipes mentioned upthread? I need a basic crowd pleaser for an upcoming family reunion, doesn't need to be anything fancy schmancy and I definitely don't have a problem using Velveeta (it's what we use for smashed grilled cheese, altho I've never used a lb at one time before) and I don't recall many dishes of mac & cheese at this reunion before. I could use one of my non-exploding Le Creuset stoneware casserole dishes, too!

Thank you!
    I'm a Tar Heel born, I'm a Tar Heel bred.....

Quote Originally Posted by katydid View Post
    I just made Mac and cheese tonight. I just cook the noodles on the stove with just enough water to cover about 1/2 inch above noodles. cook them longer than package says to evaporate most of the liquid. then i just add velveeta cheese and a little milk. the starch water helps it turn saucy. to me that's good simple mac and cheese. it's the kind my mom always made
    Call me astonished here. Since I had the ingredients on hand, I decided to try this, looking for a kid friendly mac&cheese. I couldn't imagine that it would work, so really went into it expecting to have to throw out the results, but in the mood for an experiment. It actually turned out. It wasn't fancy, and if I'd had some thawed out I would have thrown in a handful or two of shredded cheddar to bump up the cheese flavor and color (which probably would have ruined the kid friendly appeal), but it actually turned into a very creamy, cheesy sauce.

If you want to avoid Velveeta, Kraft also has a cheese called Classic Melts...
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by patissac View Post
    Did this come out creamy? I see that it calls for 2 eggs. I once used a Paula Deen recipe that called for eggs and looked promising, but it curdled really bad and wasn't very creamy. I like the idea of just throwing in all the ingredients though so if you got good results I might just give this a try!
    It is not saucy if that it what you mean. It cuts clean, but is very yummy. I have not eaten Mac and Cheese very often so I don't have much to compare to. But we were 10 at the table and everyone said it was the best they had tasted, and the entire thing was wiped out even thought there was alot of other food.
    newcook

Here's one from the NY Times website. It sounds similar to the cream cheese recipes, but is cottage cheese instead. Dunno if that is a good thing or not. I've never tried it.

Ingredients:
    ● 2 tbsp. butter
    ● 1 cup cottage cheese (not lowfat)
    ● 2 cups milk (not skim)
    ● 1 tsp. dry mustard
    ● Pinch cayenne
    ● Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
    ● ½ tsp. salt
    ● ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    ● 1 lb. sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    ● ½ lb. elbow pasta, uncooked.

Directions:
    1. Heat oven to 375 degrees and position an oven rack in upper third of oven. Use 1 tablespoon butter to
    butter a 9-inch round or square baking pan.

2. In a blender, purée cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg and salt and pepper together.

Reserve ¼ cup grated cheese for topping. In a large bowl, combine remaining grated cheese, milk
    mixture and uncooked pasta. Pour into prepared pan, cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes.

3. Uncover pan, stir gently, sprinkle with reserved cheese and dot with remaining tablespoon butter.

Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more, until browned. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

I've always wanted to try this recipe. It intrigues me and makes me nervous at the same time

Mac n Cheese cooked in milk.

Ingredients:
    ● 2 cups large elbow Macaroni, uncooked (about 1/2 lb)
    ● 2 cups low fat Milk (about 16 oz)
    ● if needed, additional 1/4 cup milk or water for final cooking
    ● 1 tbsp. Butter, for flavor ( I tried this recipe once without the butter and I didn’t notice any difference
    with the recipe. More heart healthy!)
    ● 1/2 tsp. Mustard powder
    ● 1 tsp. Salt, plus additional for final season later
    ● generous dash of Nutmeg
    ● 1 cup Grated Cheese, any one or combination of ( jack, cheddar, swiss, mozzarella, gouda,
    parmesan*, asiago*, pecorino*) *Hard cheeses are best combined with a secondary, softer, better
    melting cheese.

Description:
    The key to keeping this recipe creamy is to make sure the flame is low and to consistently stir
    the pot. The mac elbows need to be cooked slowly in the milk and any high heat will cause the
    milk to curl. Don’t leave the pot unattended.

Directions:
    1. Place raw elbow macaroni in colander and quickly rinse under water. Let drain.

2. In medium sauce pan (about 3.5 qt), add milk, raw elbow macaroni, salt, butter, mustard powder and
    nutmeg.

3. On medium heat, slowly bring milk/macaroni mixture to a simmer, stirring the macaroni frequently as
    it comes up to a simmer. This will separate macaroni and keep them from sticking together. DO NOT
    LEAVE THE STOVE! The milk mixture will come to a boil very quickly and leaving it unattended will leave a
    big mess on your stove stop.

4. Once mixture comes to a simmer, immediately turn down heat to LOW. Macaroni will slowly cook in
    the milk. Having your heat too high will evaporate the milk too quickly!

5. Continue to stir the mixture frequently so that macaroni will cook evenly and absorb milk evenly. If
    you don’t stir your mixture frequently, you will get a big clump of macaroni in the end! Stir, stir stir!

6. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until milk has been fully absorbed. If macaroni is not cooked fully,
    add a little more milk or water to mixture ( in small amounts) until macaroni is fully cooked. This will
    take about another 5 minutes.

7. When milk has evaporated, stir in grated cheese of your choice. Stir the cheese evenly into the
    macaroni.

8. Turn off heat. Place lid on top of pan and cover for about 5 minutes. This rest period will allow
    macaroni to plump up and absorb any excess milk.

9. Take a final taste and add additional salt to taste. Before serving, stir one final time to mix everything
    together.

Serve immediately.