Community Message Boards

Thread: A Healthy Fried Turkey? Really?

A Healthy Fried Turkey? Really?

Where I live fried turkeys are the thing to do for Thanksgiving...I've never done one before, but I have tasted and the meat was juicy and not dry at all. But come one, it can't be healthy!? Has anyone read an article in CL or in any other magazine stating the nutrition. I don't eat the skin so that's not a problem.

i've tried it...

it's really good... really really good. and not greasy at all.

Cat

If the temp of the cooking oil is kept at the recommended temp, and the turkey is removed as soon as it is done and not allowed to soak, then the oil will not be absorbed into the turkey, therefore it won't be greasy.
    "If she ain't happy, then you ain't happy"
    Jeff Foxworthy

Misplaced CA in PA

Quote Originally Posted by bensdad
    If the temp of the cooking oil is kept at the recommended temp, and the turkey is removed as soon as it is done and not allowed to soak, then the oil will not be absorbed into the turkey, therefore it won't be greasy.
    He's right, you'll only really find the oil on the skin (obviously), but the skin isn't that great for you anyway. And fried turkey is OH-SO-TASTY!!!! I miss the south
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

We have deep fried our turkey the last few years and have reused the oil, too. When I was putting the oil back into the container to freeze, I was amazed how little oil we actually used. We use the same oil for 2 years. We do a number of turkeys - as long as we have the fryer going, we do turkeys for some of the neighbors, too. It only takes about 45 minutes apiece. Gives the guys a good excuse to stand around, talking football, and drinking beer. And then they brag about cooking the turkey
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

deep fried turkey...

yes, men love cooking even more when it involves fire and danger. and they get to say that helped. not to mention how much space you'll have in the oven. i HIGHLY recommend it.

Cathryn

So it really can be healthy, might even be better than roasting because the turkey is just sitting in all of its oil....I don't know

Frying would give my dad something to do on Thanksgiving...the only time he makes himself useful in the kitchen is when my mom and I need to lift the turkey out of the roasting pan

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to give it a try.

I absolutely LOVE fried turkey. I had a question as to how it compared with roasted turkey once...and here's what I found.

Nutritional Information for 5.9 ounce serving Fried Turkey: Nutritional Information (per serving)
    Calories 383
    Fat (51%) 21 grams

For Roasted Turkey ( without the skin )
    Calories 322
    Fat 16 grams

So the fried turkey isn't THAT much different in terms of calories...just a smidge higher in fat, but the information didn't say if the meat was dark or white and the fried turkey info didn't say, but I'm assuming it doesn't include the skin.

I will say that I've got a fair amount of experience with frying turkeys and it's dangerous. Make sure to take lots of precautions if you do it.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A
    I absolutely LOVE fried turkey. I had a question as to how it compared with roasted turkey once...and here's what I found.

Nutritional Information for 5.9 ounce serving Fried Turkey: Nutritional Information (per serving)
    Calories 383
    Fat (51%) 21 grams

For Roasted Turkey ( without the skin )
    Calories 322
    Fat 16 grams

So the fried turkey isn't THAT much different in terms of calories...just a smidge higher in fat, but the information didn't say if the meat was dark or white and the fried turkey info didn't say, but I'm assuming it doesn't include the skin.

I will say that I've got a fair amount of experience with frying turkeys and it's dangerous. Make sure to take lots of precautions if you do it.
    The nutritional information seems way off -- turkey and chicken are pretty comparable and there is almost no fat in white meat chicken and turkey without the skin -- couldn't be 16 grams of fat in it.

It's just what I found online....keep in mind that's for a pretty big serving...5.9oz

I'm not swearing by it - it's what came up when I googled it.
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Also, it specifies no skin on the roasted, but it doesn't say one way or the other on the fried. I've been picking apart proposed by-law changes tonight. I'm in a picky mood.