Community Message Boards

Thread: Appetizers to go with Soup Night?

Appetizers to go with Soup Night?

I'm hosting a Soup Night on Thursday, and I've invited a bunch of people from my class. Since we're all starving grad students, I'm quite sure there will be a good turnout. I'm planning to make 4 soups, and I'm trying to think of a few appetizers to go with them, since I've billed it as a soup/appetizer Open House. People will also bring stuff, but I don't know what or how much.

Here are the soups:
    SandyM's Oven Baked Beef Stew
    EW's Broccoli Chowder
    Tante Maria's Potato, Leek, and Garlic Soup with Stilton (posted by someone recently, and I can't remember off the top of my head, sorry!)
    Fourth TBA, something vegetarian: possibly RebeccaT's Tortilla Soup, or maybe a Minestrone. Something brothy to complement the thick stew and chowder.

Any ideas for appetizers?
    Thanks!
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I think you could really serve anything. Will you have any bread with the soup? If not, maybe some type of bruschetta. My latest favorite appetizer is sometimes called Bombay Cheese. It has cream cheese, curry, cheddar cheese, mango chutney, pecans and green onions, and oh yeah, coconut. Served with wheat thins. It is delish. I had another version of it this weekend that included golden raisins. It was a bit different. Anyway, it is always a hit. If you need exact measurements, let me know.

What about doing mini sandwiches- you could use those mini bagels. I think that a bruschetta or thin crust pizza cut into small pieces would be good too. I am sure you guys will have fun!
    If you get a chance could post the recipes or links to the beef stew and broccoli soups? Thanks!

Here you go! Both have gotten raves on the BB at one time or another, and I can vouch for both recipes. I got the broccoli soup from the BB, but it is referenced as an Eating Well recipe. I set aside about 1 cup of chopped florets, steamed them, then pureed the entire batch of soup and added the steamed florets at the end. I wanted broccoli chunks, but no onion chunks.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Oven Baked Beef Stew

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 Tablespoon oil
    2 lb. chuck roast -- cut in 1" cubes
    1/3 cup flour -- or 1/4 c cornstarch
    1 tsp. salt
    4 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 tsp. marjoram
    1 can diced tomatoes -- (12 oz.) undrained
    10 oz. beef broth
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    2 cups potatoes -- cubed
    1 cup celery -- sliced
    4 medium carrots -- sliced
    3 small onions -- quartered
    1/4 tsp. pepper

Preheat oven to 325.

Heat oil in 4 quart Dutch oven over medium. Brown beef cubes in oil. Add flour, salt, garlic powder, marjoram and pepper.

Stir in tomatoes, broth and wine; mix well. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Add remaining ingredients, mix well.

Cover; bake for 2 hours or until meat is tender, stirring twice during baking.

Source:
    "SandyM, CL BB"

Broccoli Chowder
    1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large onion -- chopped (1 1/2 cups)
    1 large carrot -- diced (1/2 cup)
    2 stalks celery -- diced (1/2 cup)
    1 large potato -- peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
    2 cloves garlic -- minced
    1 tbsp all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    3 1/2 cups vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth (two 14-ounce cans)
    1/2 pound broccoli crowns -- cut into 1-inch pieces, stems and florets separated
    1 cup grated reduced fat cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    1/8 teaspoon salt -- or to taste

Heat oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring often, until onion and celery soften, 5 to 6 minutes. Add potato and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in flour, dry mustard and cayenne; cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add broth and broccoli stems, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Stir in florets; simmer, covered, until broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes more.

Transfer 2 cups of the chowder to a bowl and mash; return to the pan. Stir in cheddar and sour cream; cook over medium heat, stirring, until the cheese is melted and the chowder is heated through. Season with salt.

Makes about 6 servings, 1 cup each.
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

I posted a recipe for Stuffed Jalapeno's here after our last get-together. People have already asked me if I'll make them again for Thanksgiving. They were easy, relatively inexpensive, and completely do-ahead except for the time in the oven before serving. Highly recommended.
    Okay...it's time to pull up your big-girl panties and get on with it. (Seen on a bathroom wall.)

Visit my blogs: Cooking the Books

For recipes only, visit the companion blog: Cooked Up.

Quote Originally Posted by KelLeg
    I think you could really serve anything. Will you have any bread with the soup? If not, maybe some type of bruschetta. My latest favorite appetizer is sometimes called Bombay Cheese. It has cream cheese, curry, cheddar cheese, mango chutney, pecans and green onions, and oh yeah, coconut. Served with wheat thins. It is delish. I had another version of it this weekend that included golden raisins. It was a bit different. Anyway, it is always a hit. If you need exact measurements, let me know.
    I do, I do

Thanks
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

Just bumping up for the Monday crowd...
    -Rebecca

--DH, aka "Coach"

[QUOTE]Fourth TBA, something vegetarian: possibly RebeccaT's Tortilla Soup, or maybe a Minestrone. Something brothy to complement the thick stew and chowder.QUOTE]

Just a quick thought...I LOVE Rebecca T's Tortilla soup and it is the only one I ever make anymore (with the addition of black beans BTW!) but I would not consider it brothy at all...at least when I make it, it is rather thick-one of the things I like about it as so many tortilla soups are VERY brothy!

As for appetizers....what about quesadilla's-easy and yummy:-).

Sheila in MD

1 brick of low-fat cream cheese
    3/4-1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1/2 tsp curry
    1 jar spicy mango chutney (only use about half in recipe)
    1 bunch green onions, chopped
    1/2 c toasted pecans, chopped into small pieces
    sprinkle of coconut

Mix two cheeses and curry powder until well-blended. Spread on platter. Spread mango chutney on top (about half the jar). Sprinkle with green onions, pecans and coconut. Serve with Wheat Thins or Kashi crackers.

Hope this helps.

Since you're doing so many soups, I'd stick to dips/spreads raher than making labor-intensive individual appetizers. You could serve the pumpkin cheese ball with apples, Rotel cheese dip, spinach/artichoke dip, or this Reuben dip, Pizza dip or Cinco de Mayo dip.

Dorothy

REUBEN DIP

2 c. (3 - 2.5 oz. pkgs.) thinly sliced corned beef (such as Buddig), chopped
    1 can (2 c.) sauerkraut, drained & chopped
    1 c. (8 oz.) Swiss cheese, shredded
    1-1/2 c. mayonnaise (can substitute 1/2 c. Thousand Island dressing for 1/2 c. mayo)

Mix all ingredients together. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with party rye bread or crackers.

PIZZA DIP

1 pound lean ground beef
    2 cups pizza sauce
    8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
    8 ounces grated Mozzarella
    1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
    1/2 teaspoon dried sweet basil
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    Parmesan cheese, optional

PREPARATION:

Brown ground beef well; drain off fat. Combine ground beef with all other ingredients in the slow cooker or crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours.
    If desired, add Parmesan cheese to taste. Serve with tortilla chips or toasted garlic bread cubes.

CINCO DE MAYO DIP

16 oz. cream cheese, softened at room temp.
    16 oz. sour cream
    1 pkg. dry salad dressing mix (Ranch, Italian, or your favorite)
    1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
    1 can corn, drained
    green onions, chopped
    cup red or green pepper, chopped
    1 small can sliced black olives
    2 cloves garlic, minced (or t. garlic powder)
    1 cup salsa
    1 cup grated cheese cheddar or Monterey Jack
    Tortilla chips

Combine cream cheese, sour cream and dressing mix and blend thoroughly. Can be made ahead and assembled when ready to serve. Spread in 9x13 pan.

In a separate bow combine remaining ingredients except cheese and tortilla chips. Spoon over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle cheese over. Cover & refrigerate until serving time. Serve with tortilla chips.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Quote Originally Posted by KelLeg
    1 brick of low-fat cream cheese
    3/4-1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    1/2 tsp curry
    1 jar spicy mango chutney (only use about half in recipe)
    1 bunch green onions, chopped
    1/2 c toasted pecans, chopped into small pieces
    sprinkle of coconut

Mix two cheeses and curry powder until well-blended. Spread on platter. Spread mango chutney on top (about half the jar). Sprinkle with green onions, pecans and coconut. Serve with Wheat Thins or Kashi crackers.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, this sounds yummy.
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

Spinach-Artichoke dip is always a big hit and yummy.
    Michelle

This guacamole is almost always the best darn guacamole anyone has ever tried---guaranteed to please.

The peppers are definitely to taste, a woman made it for our dinner club this weekend and she added 4 jalapenos and while I never make it spicy (I usually do one jalapeno) I really liked it spicy too.

Guacamole with pear and grapes
    Laurel Watson
    1/2 bunch spring onion, white part only, finely chopped
    1 jalapeno, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 large ripe avocadoes
    2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
    1/2 C pear, peeled and finely diced
    1/2 C seedless grapes, halved
    1/2 C pomegranate seeds (if available)
    In a food processor, puree onion, chilli, and salt into a rough paste. In a bowl gradually add the avocado; coarsely mashing it (you'll want it to be chunky). Stir in the lime juice.
    Fold in the pear, grapes, and 1/4 cup of the pomegranate seeds. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds over the guacamole and serve
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

Parmesan breadsticks (made from puff pastry dough) would be easy and yummy.

I absolutely love this dip/spread from Donna Hay's Off the Shelf.

1 cup dried red lentils
    1 1/2 cup water
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup lemon juice
    1 t cumin
    1 garlic clove
    Sea salt and pepper to taste

Bring lentils and water to a boil - boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, let stand 12 minutes. Combine lentils and other ingredients in a food processor (or blender) and combine. Serve with pita crisps, crackers, or even tortilla chips.