Community Message Boards

Thread: How long does salsa stay fresh???

Post How long does salsa stay fresh???

I opened a jar of salsa almost two months ago, but never used any of it. I was thinking about making the Million Dollar Chicken recipe, but wasn't sure if I needed to buy new salsa. How long does it (salsa) stay fresh?

I've kept salsa for about 3 weeks to a month once opened. Usually you will see some mold growth on top if it's bad, so open it up. If you don't see anything, smell it. If it smells okay, you might want to give it a taste and see!

I agree with chefbec, a month tops would be my limit. I am constantly tossing things out because I would rather be safe than sorry.

Another job for She Who Breeds Things In the Fridge, I see...

Now, you're talking bottled (jarred if you want to get technical) here, hmmm?
    Just for the record, you can keep it way longer than a month. Trust me. I KNOW these things... We use a lot of salsa around here, but even so, it typically takes a few months to use it up. Over all the years I've been buying the stuff, I've really only had one grow green caterpillars.
    Do as chefbec says: look it over and smell it. Chances are good it still will be, too. (Strange thing that salsa keeps a long time. I mean, I wouldn't DREAM of keeping an opened jar of something like spaghetti sauce more than a week, but salsa-- the kind where tomatoes are cooked-- has a pretty long shelf life.)

Now, if it's fresh salsa-- the kind with uncooked tomatoes in it-- that's a whole other thing... that stuff cashes in within a few days.

Gail -- my guess is its the vinegar that keeps commercial salsa fresh longer.

Green caterpillars??? That's a metaphor, right? Right?

Cool

...heh, heh, heh...

Also, if the salsa has ever been left out for a while and you seen little bubbles in it (almost like a glass of soda), that's a clue that something is growing in there and giving off the oxygen. I've never had that problem except when opened salsa was left out on a counter, and I've bought picante sauce in the half gallon or so warehouse sizes. The salt, vinegar and cooking help processed salsas and sauces stay fresh.

Cool

Originally posted by Beth:
    Also, if the salsa has ever been left out for a while and you seen little bubbles in it (almost like a glass of soda), that's a clue that something is growing in there and giving off the oxygen.
    Sounds like teeny-tiny creatures in scuba gear!

Talking

Originally posted by Gail:
    Sounds like teeny-tiny creatures in scuba gear!

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. I needed that. Now if I were mamasue, I'd find at least a smiley in scuba gear or some other fund graphic, but alas. And I hear a video calling my name (DH won't wait cuz he knows I'd never get there if he did)!