Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meijer Grocery Store

Question Meijer Grocery Store

Since the quality of Jewels and Dominicks really starts to go down and the prices go up, I started to wonder if I should give it a try and stop by at Meijer. I checked out their website and it looks good to me, but I can't find any informations about groceries. They do sell groceries in a normal amount, or? Not like Costco I mean. I love Costco but for a 2 person household it's not the right place to go grocery shopping

And another thing I was wondering about: Do you need a membership for Meijers like at Costco or can I just stop by there and go shopping?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Dani

Meijer's is kind of like a regular grocery store plus a Target squished together. You don't need a membership, and they do sell normal quantities. I don't shop there because it's too overwhelming for me, but they do have good prices and I know a lot of people like it.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Quote Originally Posted by cangoss
    I don't shop there because it's too overwhelming for me
    Then I will leave DH at home. He is already bad at Costco, so I don't wanna know how he's gonna be at Meijers

Meijers is huge, acts like they have big sales that really aren't that great, and have a bit of everything. Their produce department is decent. I'm not impressed with their meat department. They definitely have a ton of regular groceries and the prices of their baking needs are really good. They do have great milk sales. The store is really big so plan to walk a lot and spend a bit of time there. You can get good deals there once you figure out what their normal price ranges are.

Have you been to Trader Joes? There are several around Chicago, and the prices are pretty good. I buy my chicken and ground beef there because they sell organic, all natural and kosher meats. Their produce is sometimes really good.

I love SuperTarget. They don't have the variety of produce that the larger supermarkets have, but the stuff they do have is pretty fresh most of the time. There is one near me, and the prices are cheaper than Dominicks and Jewel (I only go there if I absolutely have to).

I live in the upper NW section of Chicago near Schaumburg. If you live near me, I can tell you some good places to try out.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by mbrogier
    I live in the upper NW section of Chicago near Schaumburg. If you live near me, I can tell you some good places to try out.
    We live "almost" downtown Chicago but recently I started to drive all the way to Caputo's Fresh Market in Elmwood Park. Their fresh produce is amazing and cheap and it stays fresh forever. Their deli is so cheap, that's hard to insist not buying a pound of the imported san daniele prosciutto for just $10/lbs.

I just thought Meijers is maybe an alternative for Jewels or Dominicks for all the other groceries we need. There is a Trader Joes maybe a 10 Minute drive away from our place but to be honest, I think they are pretty overpriced

Maybe you can still give me some tips - I am always open for a new place and don't mind driving

Meijers, generally, has more variety of produce. I don't usually buy any meat from the grocery stores so I can't help you there. You can usually go into Meijer and just hit the food side. They've remodel our store and have a lot of electronics and stuff now. I don't know how that has effected their grocery prices.

I drive 40 minutes to get to Trader Joes. I think they're prices are great... for cereals and dry goods they slay my grocery store... mainly because I buy organic and that's a specialty at regular stores, I suppose.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

My local Meijers is a huge hangout for the q-tip crowd. 7:30 am at the doughnut counter is a veritable meat market of 70-somethings.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

I shop at our Meijer store regularly. Mostly it's a convenience issue. I can get everything in one fell swoop, and when toting around two young children, that's a good thing. So, if I have peanut butter, birdseed, diapers, shower curtain hooks, a birthday present for one of my son's friends, primer & paintbrushes, new winter coats for the kids and windshield washer fluid on my list...I go to Meijer. Our store has a great "International Foods" section that I simply love. I can often find those "out there" items that I need. I find them to be much cheaper than other stores in a general sense, even if they may be slightly higher in other respects. If I do my week's shopping at Meijer, I save a few bucks over one of the other stores.They have some really good sales here, I buy frozen veggies to keep on hand and just got a bunch 2 for $1. A couple of months ago, I got a whole pork loin for something along the lines of $1.99 a pound. So, if you keep your eyes open, you can find good deals. For quality, I have a butcher shop literally outside my door at work, so when I splurge, I splurge there. Plus, I can get really cheap sushi for a last-minute lunch if I need one. Oh, and DS loves the penny horsey rides after we check out.
    As the arc of history bends towards justice, it's a new, more progressive day. --Steve Benen, The Maddow Blog, 11-07-12

We have a Meijer right in our subdivision, so I go there often. I think the selection and prices are good. The only thing is that this place is SO PACKED on the weekends that I can't stand to go there. I think the aisles are a little narrow too, which makes it worse.

I also love LOVE Caputo's Market. I go to a different one (Hanover Park?) but you just can't beat their prices for produce and deli. And the quality is good too. That store is a bit out of my way, but I can do it on the way home from work.

Terri

Terri, Have you ever been to Woodman's in Carpentersville? I love that place! I fill my cart to the brim with all sorts of vegetables and stuff and can't believe that my bill is only $60 or so when it would be over $100 at a regular supermarket. They have a ton of specialty items, too.

Tyroleancutie, I'm up by Terri. I live in Crystal Lake which is in McHenry County right before you get into Wisconsin. It would be a drive from where you are. Metra goes into Crystal Lake, but that would limit you on how much loot you could take back with you. I go to the Trader Joes in Lake Zurich, and the prices are really good. I wasn't really that fond of TJ's in Michigan because I thought the prices were high, but the prices at this TJ's are really good. You should come up here just for Woodman's. It has been raved about on Chowhounds.com Do you have a Costco? There are two up here.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

[QUOTE=mbrogier]Terri, Have you ever been to Woodman's in Carpentersville? I love that place! I fill my cart to the brim with all sorts of vegetables and stuff and can't believe that my bill is only $60 or so when it would be over $100 at a regular supermarket. They have a ton of specialty items, too.

[QUOTE]

No! Is that on Randall Rd? I think I've passed by it (my parents live in Old C'ville) but never been in. I'll definitely have to check it out..thanks!

Terri

Well, I live in Meijer Capitol, USA. The Headquarters are in GR and Meijer is the boss in this town! I think we may have a Super Wal-mat coming in somewhere, but I seriously have 4 Meijer stores I can get to in 10 minutes or less from my house. I have shopped Meijer all my life and like the store. My store is probably the nicest on in my city and I enjoy going there. I rarely buy things other than groceries, but it is convenient if you need something. I don't think the prices are bad at all compared to the other smaller (and fewer) stores in the area. I do wish we had a TJ's though. The closest one is 3+ hours away. My Meijer has a large deli, a Starbucks, a great produce section, and a decent cheese selection. The international foods section is fun to see also.
    Michelle

[QUOTE=TLee4][QUOTE=mbrogier]Terri, Have you ever been to Woodman's in Carpentersville? I love that place! I fill my cart to the brim with all sorts of vegetables and stuff and can't believe that my bill is only $60 or so when it would be over $100 at a regular supermarket. They have a ton of specialty items, too.

No! Is that on Randall Rd? I think I've passed by it (my parents live in Old C'ville) but never been in. I'll definitely have to check it out..thanks!

Terri
    That's the one! I didn't go in it for a while because it kinda looks tacky, but I love it. They have a huge international section and even sell Watson baking products.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Thanks mbrogier..I'll check it out!!

Terri

I go to Meijer. We go through at least 4 gallons of milk a week and they have specials of 3 for $5, or as just this week, $1.69 a gallon. I find their produce to be fresh and most of their other products decently price. I don't buy meat nor do I go the other other part of the store - I stick to the grocery section. I also go to Jewel, Dominick's, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Costco, etc. I love variety.

I grew up near Grand Rapids, Michigan, so we always shopped at Meijer's when I was a kid.

I live north of Chicago now, and I was glad when a Meijer's appeared in McHenry, Illinois. Their prices are lower than Jewel and Dominicks.

We also shop at the Woodman's store in Kenosha, Wisconsin. They are huge, and have great deals on frozen food!

I grew up shopping at Meijer (which we used to call the big M or Thirft'ys or Thrifty Acres) and still shop there to this day. Aside from the fact that they by far have the best fresh foods of the grocery stores around me and fair prices (ie, they aren't sticking it to their suppliers or employees) and that they buy from the area the store is located when possible, they are "locally" owned (GR) and I like supporting businesses like that. A note on the prices thing, the different stores price according to the market they are in. I discovered this when I was in college and shopped at one store one year and another (on the "bad" side of town) the next. The store on the "bad" side of town ran about 10% cheaper than the one on the "good" side of town. I am a Mejiers devotee, and probably always will be. Meijer ROCKS!

I wanted to add I really appreciate that Meijer (at least here) doesn't offer that screw-you card. You know the one, pennies off a product if you have the grocery store card so they can keep track of your purchases? Whenever the Kroger cashier tells me I saved $3.53 I tell them, no.. you just screwed someone without a card that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by donleyk
    I wanted to add I really appreciate that Meijer (at least here) doesn't offer that screw-you card. You know the one, pennies off a product if you have the grocery store card so they can keep track of your purchases? Whenever the Kroger cashier tells me I saved $3.53 I tell them, no.. you just screwed someone without a card that amount.
    *snort*
    I don't live in Meijer "ville", "land", etc., but have enjoyed shopping there when I have been there.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Alrighty, I just came back from Meijers and it was a good idea that I did not bring DH. That store is huge and they almost sell everything. But I really like their grocery store. I bought a lot of Turkey (Jennie-o) and also got a bunch of fresh produce and about after an hour I had a full cart. I was kinda worried about how the check would turn out but after all I "only" paid $130 for groceries which will last (hopefully) 2 weeks.

(Oh and maybe I should not mention that: While I was shopping at Meijers someone from Wholefoods called me and told me I won a $100 Gift Certificate from their Halloween Quiz. You had to guess the weight of a giant Pumpkin and looks like I got it right )

Quote Originally Posted by tyroleancutie
    (Oh and maybe I should not mention that: While I was shopping at Meijers someone from Wholefoods called me and told me I won a $100 Gift Certificate from their Halloween Quiz. You had to guess the weight of a giant Pumpkin and looks like I got it right )
    Oh! How fun! I stink at those games. How cool is that!!

Meijer does have a card, but you don't get discounts with it. Instead, a certain % of your spending can you to your child's school. I use mine and contribute to the elementary school at the same time.

Oh! How fun! I stink at those games. How cool is that!!
    I never win something when I fill out those little cards so I was quite surprised when Whole Foods called me this morning.

I'll safe that Gift Card for a special event though - I hardly ever shop at Whole Foods, because to be honest I can't efford it. DH made fun of the amount of the Gift Card, he was like "Now you can buy 2 organic eggs and one organic apple" *lol*

You could get an organic turkey... (or turkey breast... )

I was at Algonquin Commons tonight on Randall Road in Algonquin. There is a Trader Joes going in!!!! So there's going to be on close to Crystal Lake, LITH, and Elgin.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by mbrogier
    You could get an organic turkey... (or turkey breast... )

I was at Algonquin Commons tonight on Randall Road in Algonquin. There is a Trader Joes going in!!!! So there's going to be on close to Crystal Lake, LITH, and Elgin.
    Oh, that is great! The closest one to me now is Batavia..Algonquin might be a bit closer.

Quote Originally Posted by TLee4
    Oh, that is great! The closest one to me now is Batavia..Algonquin might be a bit closer.
    Yeah, depending on the time of day and traffic.

The road construction from Carpentersville to Algonquin is almost completely finished. There are no closed lanes anymore.

I think the new Trader Joes should be open by February judging by how it looked last night. I don't know if they'll be open by the end of the year. If they are, I'll let you know.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I do most of my shopping at Jewel/Dominicks since they are close to home and usually stock up on the staple foods when they are on sale. For meat I go to Paulina Meat Market on Lincoln Ave two blocks South of Addison. They are pricey, but very good meat, also this place is VERY popular. There are several Middle Eastern stores on Kedzie and Lawrence, I bought 2lbs of dates for the same price as 12oz at Jewel. Sometimes Treasure Island has good deals and a decent selection of cheese but always look at the expiration date of what you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruz1966
    For meat I go to Paulina Meat Market on Lincoln Ave two blocks South of Addison.
    I live just down the street from Paulina Meat Market and all I ever buy there are bones for our dog But their meat does look good!

Wink

Bones for the dog... hmmm I don't know how to take that... LOL!

For all you NW Chicago people (I live in Elgin and hate going to Meijer - I can't deal with the crowds, I even try to avoid TJ's on weekends, but work close enough to one that I stop by at lunch and grab stuff), one place that was RAVED about by some people in my supper club was called Valli Produce. If you don't mind driving, I think the closest one is at Roselle and Higgins in Hoffman Estates. I still haven't been, but we had a pork tenderloin from there and it was very good (don't know if it was organic or anything). I need to compare it to Caputo's sometime (they said Valli was better). I do enjoy Caputo's, but the weekends are busy. I remember half hour waits just to request things from the deli. DH heard that they were going to put one in on Randall in South Elgin. I don't know where it would go, but I'm hoping the rumor is true.