Community Message Boards

Thread: Cycle:Wind Trainer vs Mag Trainer

Cycle:Wind Trainer vs Mag Trainer

I am new to cycling and would like to get a trainer for indoors so I can continue riding over the winter. Does anyone know the difference between a Wind trainer vs a Mag Trainer besides price? Also has anyone ordered from The Fitness Store ?

Any help is appreciated.

Laura

We have a CycleOps mag trainer, as well as rollers. Both are excruciatingly, mind-numbingly boring :-) The rollers are much harder, but better training for simulating the road.

If I'm not mistaken, you can't actually buy a wind trainer, right? I thought that was the lab setup where you actually have wind going across you. Maybe I'm wrong.

I haven't ever bought anything from the Fitness Store. We bought our trainer directly from CycleOps at a cycling event. Bought our rollers from all3sports.com.

You should also check out Coloradocyclist.com for their prices, as well. they're expensive, but have regular sales.

We just picked up one of the Spinervals DVD but haven't used it yet since the weather's still nice enough to ride outdoors. They're supposed to be great.

Once you get up & running, let me know how you stay motivated during your indoor training. I need all the tips I can get!!

The wind trainer uses a little fan attached to the roller to provide resistance.
    The Mag trainer uses repelling magnets to provide resistance.
    The wind trainer is a bit noisier.
    I set mine up in front of the TV to combat the boredom. And...I use the trainer in the summer and bike outside during the winter.
    Hope this Helps,
    Kris

LOL! You're in Phoenix, so the opposite outdoor season as me. We have friends there who do a lot of biking, too. It's wild to hear how early they have to ride in the summer to avoid the heat.

The TV doesn't help me much, but DH keeps telling me to get over it. So far, I've topped out at about 45 min....and that's with the Sopranos on!

Haven't tried the wind trainer version. Be sure to check out sites like Bicycling Magazine for any product reviews & comparisons.

Did you head out to watch the SOMA triathlon a few weeks ago? That would have been a blast to watch all those elite athletes ride around town!

I bought a CycleOps Fluid Trainer a couple of years ago. At that time, there were only two options, Fluid or Mag. The research that I did back then led me to believe the Fluid trainers were better. I didn't realize that there was now a Wind option until I read your post, so I couldn't tell you how it compares with the Fluid or Mag.

I agree the trainer can get quite boring. When I bought mine it came with a Chris Carmichael DVD. I've used it a couple of times and it does make the hour go by faster. You may look into the different DVD workouts he has available.

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMac
    We have a CycleOps mag trainer, as well as rollers. Both are excruciatingly, mind-numbingly boring :-) The rollers are much harder, but better training for simulating the road.
    Susan,
    But is it as mind-numbingly boring as the Nordic Trak?!?!?
    DH and I started biking this past spring 2 or 3 times a week for about 50 minutes (about 12 miles or so). I lost 8 pounds, my legs are beginning to show muscle, and my breathing (I have asthma) is improved. I don't want to stop for 4 months! We have a Nordik Trak which is my idea of excruciatingly boring
    and I was hoping that an exercise bike would be more "fun". I guess not!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Thanks for all of the input!! In looking at the different models online, it think I like the Fluid best. I plan to get some of the spinervals DVD as well to give me something to use as a guide for a workout and to create interest. I use both a treadmill and stationary bike at the gym and watch tv and listen to the ipod, so hopefully it won't be much worse than that.

Thanks again!!

Laura

I just wanted to post another idea for those of you who are bored with the indoor trainer - spinning!
    I signed up at the Y for classes twice a week. The cycling is coordinated with music, and it's definitely not boring because you keep changing what you're doing. It's an awesome workout and definitely makes me challenge myself more.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Actually, I plan to start spinning classes this winter. Can't wait. Never tried one before. I heard it's hard to get into the classes, so will just have to see. DH is worried b/c the workouts are probably designed w/too much sprinting for the off-season. But, oh well. I'm just looking for something different.

Victoria - I started cycling a few years back & found the same thing. Absolutely nothing gives me the leg muscle definition & <ahem> trim backside as biking. If you've already got a bike, I'd suggest a trainer over purchasing an entire LifeCycle stationary bike kind of thing.

I feel like I've landed on another planet and everyone sounds as though they're speaking English, but I just don't understand!!! I'm off to do some searches for these unfamiliar words you all have been batting around (mag trainer, fluid trainer, wind trainer, Chris Carmichael...).

I'd love to have a gym nearby so that I could take a spinning class, though.
    Vicci

Are these trainers what I think they are? We could use our bikes indoors all winter instead of buying a stationery exercise bike? A few weeks ago, DH wondered if anyone made such a thing. I replied that I would do a search, but hadn't had the time yet. And, here it is!

Obviously, I don't get out much...

Now, does anyone know where I can find a photo of someone actually using one of these things? All of the information just shows the trainer itself, or the trainer with a partial bike wheel, but I want to see the bike actually in the trainer. How does it work? Where does the wheel attach? Inquiring minds...
    Vicci

Well DH & I made the plunge and bought a Fluid 2 Trainer and accessories this weekend. I have used it twice with a Spinnerval DVD that we bought as well. I plan to get more of these for a targeted approach to improving my technique.

The sales person suggested buying a hard rubber tire to replace the back tire that touches the trainer. He said some of the softer, more expensive tires can wear alot on the resistance of the trainer. My tires are not terribly expensive but DH's are so we got him a hard rubber inexpensive tire for his bike.

Victoria-try the CycleOps website or the Spinnerval website as one of those may show the trainer in use.

Thanks for all the input.

Laura

Definitely a good idea to get a thicker, cheaper tire for your trainer. I had a race tire on mine last year and one day I smelled something burning. Half of my tire ended up in little pieces on the wall behind me.

Good luck getting through the boredom aspect of riding a trainer.

Vicci,
    Talk to Meridee about this -- I think she has rollers. But I'll bet she could give you a good explanation.

Amy
    Who, after falling off her bike and breaking her arm 2 months ago is finally out of the cast. I rode my hybrid (mountain bike-ish) bike 1 mile on Sunday! Maybe I'll ride 2 miles this weekend -- right now I'm just trying to get back to walking.

My friends and I bought rode bikes last spring and love it! I agree, that it really helps to keep the weight off! We completed a Century ride in September.

I don't have a trainer or rollers. I think I'd find it as boring as the treadmill I rarely use! I do go to Spinning class twice a week. I've been doing that for years. It's a fun class. We used to do a lot of sprints, but one of the instructors is now getting away from that (new evidence says it's not that effective) and we're doing more drills. It's certainly not the same as riding outside, but it will have to do until spring!
    Runs for food