Community Message Boards

Thread: How Do You Clean a Pastry Brush Well?

Question How Do You Clean a Pastry Brush Well?

I've tried so many recipes lately that call for a pastry brush, often to brush on a marinade or basting liquid containing oil. Hard as I try, I never seem to get all of the oil out of the bristles, especially at the base of the brush. I bought a really nice Pampered Chef brush because I thought the consultant said it was dishwasher safe -- but it arrived with specific instructions NOT to put it in the dishwasher. I love the brush, I just don't feel like it's ever completely clean. Anyone have any tips on this? Thanks!

Just an idea here...and since you are obviously a Pampered Chef fan...wouldn't one of those PC spray bottles (like the Misto except my Misto didn't work!) work for marinade? Not basting, of course, but you could spray the marinade wherever needed...

The only way I've ever gotten mine completely clean is by putting in the dishwasher. Your instructions say not to and I've heard it is not the greatest (I guess it can warp the wood brushes, etc.), but mine seem to wash up fine. If mine start to wear out, I guess I'd rather replace it once in a while (mine are not expensive!) than have it greasy.

I also put my brushes in the dishwasher. It seems to be the only way to get any oils out them. My brushes are inexpensive so I can replace them when they wear out very easily. I have two so that one can be used for savory dishes and the other is for sweet or pastry dishes.

This was actually just covered in an issue of Cooks Illustrated that I received yesterday! The article said to rinse the brush in hot water (I'm paraphrasing here, but I seem to remember soapy) then "squeeze" out as must of the water as possible and dip it into salt. They said the salt will absorb the moisture.
    Hopefully my memory has served me well here. I will review the article when I get a chance and post an update if necessary.

Kim

Misto tends not to work, but I saw a Cooks Illustrated article that rated the Williams Sonoma mister as the best. Just FYI...
    Originally posted by Deanna:
    Just an idea here...and since you are obviously a Pampered Chef fan...wouldn't one of those PC spray bottles (like the Misto except my Misto didn't work!) work for marinade? Not basting, of course, but you could spray the marinade wherever needed...

I agree on the Misto, it was a piece of junk (and $20 at that!)

I have two of the PC sprayers, about $6.95/each, and they work great! I'm considering buying a couple more!

Thumbs up

I'll give the salt a try. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll see how my brush fares in the dishwasher. If it bites the dust, I'll start buying inexpensive brushes (not that the PC brush cost a fortune, but it is a bit pricier than those in the grocery store). I really liked the idea of one brush for sweet, one for savory stuff. Thanks, all!

I use hot water and rub some Dawn directly into the bristles. Massage it a bit and rinse. If I've been using butter or straight oil and I'm not sure it's really clean, I might repeat the whole process, but Dawn seems to really break down the oils and get them clean.

I do the same thing Beth does and it works for me. There's nothing better for dissoving grease than Dawn, except maybe Simple Green. This stuff works wonders for grease stains in the laundry, and for cleaning up a messy stovetop after I've fried something (like chicken breasts). I spray on Simple Green full strength and the grease wipes right up!

I had the same problem with the Misto. It didn't work so I took it back and got my money back.