Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone familiar with Panera's Holiday Bread?

Anyone familiar with Panera's Holiday Bread?

A friend keeps raving about this bread she had at Panera's just recently and tried to describe it: sweet, light, eggy bread with cranberries, nuts?, and other friut with streusel like topping. Have you ran into this bread? And if so , any ideas on recipe? Is it a yeast bread? No Panera's around here to check on it. I di a search and was unable to find a recipe...Thanks for any info you can offer...Steph

I checked their website and it sounds like their Holiday Bread. If you click on it, it gives you the ingredients they use. Sounds delicious!

Website says the dough has golden raisins, dried cranberries and chocolate chips and is filled with an apple and cinnamon filling. I'm wondering if this is a pan loaf, free form loaf or more like a coffee cake.

Panera had one a couple of years ago that looked more like a free form bread (from what I remember). I was going to get it, but we had a guest highly allergic to nuts so I opted not to. I never did get one later on. I don't know if they change their holiday bread from year to year, but I was in Panera last week and didn't see one. Maybe they just came out again recently, but I will have to look soon!

The one they had out two years ago was a yeast bread in a braid shape. It was delicious! Wish I had the recipe. I'd love to serve this for Christmas brunch. The nearest Panera is 45 minutes away and I don't want to have to go there on Christmas Eve day....wonder how well it would freeze. Anyone tried?

Haven't had or seen this yet, but it sounds like the only thing that would be iffy in freezing would be the struesel. If you plan on heating it, it will probably be okay; otherwise, the struesel could get tacky.

This recipe is not the same as the Holiday Bread described but a google note said it was Panera's Holiday Bread...maybe one from a previous year.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Swedish Rye Bread

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3/4 cup warm water (105 F. to 115 F.)
    1/3 envelope dry yeast -- (1/4 ounce)
    2 1/4 cups about unbleached all purpose flour
    1/3 cup rye flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup dark corn syrup
    1/8 cup vegetable shortening -- plus
    2/3 tablespoon vegetable shortening -- melted
    2/3 teaspoon anise seed
    1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon orange zest
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    melted butter

Place 1/4 cup warm water in small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over; stir to dissolve. Let stand 5 minutes. Combine remaining 2 cups warm water, 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup rye flour in bowl. Add yeast mixture. Mix to blend well. Cover bowl with kitchen towel. Let sponge rise 1 hour.

Mix sugar, corn syrup, shortening, aniseed, coriander, orange peel and salt into sponge. Gradually mix in enough all purpose flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form slightly sticky dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if sticky, about 10 minutes.

Lightly oil large bowl. Add dough, turning to coat entire surface. Cover bowl with kitchen towel. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

Grease 2 cookie sheets. Punch dough down. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Divide dough into 3 parts. Pat each piece into 5-inch-diameter round. Place on prepared sheets. Cover and let rise in warm draft-free area until almost doubled, about 40 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350F Pierce each loaf 5 times with fork. Bake until loaves are brown and sound hollow when tapped on bottom, about 1 hour. Transfer to racks. Brush with butter and cool. Serve warm or at room temperature. (Can be made 1 month ahead. Wrap loaves tightly and freeze. Thaw before serving.).

Description:
    "This bread, which is lightly flavored with aniseed and orange, makes great toast. Rising time is not included in the prep time or cook time. There's about 2 hours 40 minutes of total rising time. This is a good holiday bread."
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?scaleto=1&id=137218"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 868 Calories; 35g Fat (35.2% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 141g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 663mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 7 Fat; 7 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

DH made the Swedish Rye, it was wonderful, light flavor of anise and just a hint of orange (he added more orange zest than called for).

There was a discrepancy in the rye flour in the recipe. The list of ingred. calls for 1/3 c rye flour and the instructions calls for 1 c. DH finely settled on 1/2c and the bread was great, however it could of handled the full cup of rye and not been heavy, was his assement. (He's gotten Very Good at bread baking, and its beginning to show around our waistes)

Just made toast, the orange really pops out, makes a crispy toast, wonderful.
    Last edited by LaurenP; 11-13-2005 at 05:47 AM.

I'm reviving this thread as I just remembered I bought this bread over T-giving. We enjoyed it - the filling tasted like something else besides apple and cinnamon, and I don't quite remember chocolate chips in it as Beth mentioned the website says. I will have to get another one soon to refresh my memory.

Stephanie-Oh, did you ever try it?

I haven't been in Panera since before TG, but was thinking that it's that time of year again for their Holiday Bread. I am assuming it's the same as last year. Anyone have it this year?

Panera Holiday Bread

My DH and I ate lunch there today and they had the holiday bread. I almost bought a loaf but didn't. After hearing about it here I think I will have to try it!

I didn't get a chance to try the bread last year. I think I'm going to have to swing by this weekend and see if I can get some.

I'm thinking that you could use something like a Challah or egg bread and add dried fruit and nuts. I'm wanting to do some baking next week. I don't know how I'm going to get much done with a kitchen to put away, at least a couple of days more work to be done, no shopping having been done, not tree up, no packages wrapped -- but I really want to bake and am lining up recipes to try. Maybe I'll get a chance to play with something -- I'd just like to have some idea of how it compares to the Panera loaf.