Community Message Boards

Thread: tahini question

Question tahini question

I searched but didn't come up with anything definitive.

How can you get tahini that has separated to mix back together easily? Is there no other choice but to stir and splash for a half hour? Would it help to keep it in the fridge? (I've never refrigerated mine and it's kept just fine.)

Thanks, Donna

Arrow

I believe it says on the jar to refrigerate after opening. Of course, that only makes it harder to stir together because the paste hardens due to the cold! Maybe mircowaving briefly to warm might make it easier to stir. Good luck!

I've always refrigerated mine. Once you open it and get it all stirred up, it stays that way in the fridge. If it's natural tahini, cold will also keep it from going rancid.

Since tahini is ground sesame seeds, I imagine it's similar to natural peanut butter that needs to be stirred once during opening, but once you stir, if you store in the fridge (which does keep it from going rancid, so I think that's where it belongs) it won't really separate again.

I would definitely always keep your tahini in the fridge, just to be on the safe side.
    I've never had a big problem getting it uniformly mixed after separation (so much like natural pb), but one thing you might try is storing it upside down -- the oil will then be on the bottom of the jar, and stirring it should be much less messy. LGBurns gave me that idea on one of the peanut butter threads

[This message has been edited by emilycat (edited 05-24-2001).]

I was going to suggest flipping the jar upside down...emilycat beat me to it! We use tahini alot (my toddler eats it mixed in her yogurt every day) and have found that some brands seem more oily and separate more than others...but the ones that start out more oily last longer and resist 'drying out' like the less oily ones...

My 2 cents!

I get rid of most of the oil. The tahini is a little drier, but I don't mind. I really like it on toast in the morning with honey. It tastes a lot like halva. Also, I keep it refrigerated once I've opened the jar.