Community Message Boards

Thread: casseroles that freeze well

Post casseroles that freeze well

Has anyone found CL meals/casseroles that can be prepared ahead of time and freeze well? I am attempting to get organized and need all the help I can get! Thanks so much!

I'm not trying to start a riot but there is a section in the newest issue (which I got yesterday)about dishes that can be prepared ahead and frozen. I made pork chops this morning and stuck them in the freezer for this upcoming week.

Unhappy

Liane,
    ***pouting***

Okay...you did it...you started a RIOT!! Now I will be depressed because you received your latest issue already!

[This message has been edited by Mamasue (edited 06-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mamasue (edited 06-18-2000).]

Red face

I am so sorry I brought it up!!!!I guess I will have to wait until I get my issue! Better go get my mail!

Hi - the Black Bean Enchilada Casserole from CL Dec 99 freezes very well. Louise

I haven't frozen the CL versions, but they have published 2 chicken enchilada/tex-mex chicken casseroles that should freeze well. They are both similar to King Ranch Chicken, which I have often frozen. I have a third similar but lighter recipe I posted in the week before the old board came down, so I'll post it agian if you didn't get it there. It has the chicken and tortillas, black beans and corn.

Smile

Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate your help! What is in King Ranch Chicken? It sounds interesting! I have the two enchilada recipes; I am not sure if I have yours..I was a mad woman copying off the old board and who knows where anything is!I will take a look in "my files!" (Huge pile of miscellaneous papers!)

Lightbulb

Just saw that King Ranch Chicken recipe is similar to the enchilada casseroles; please excuse my mommy induced ADD! Tough to look at the board with a 2 yo!

BTDT (Been there, done that) Sometimes hard to get anything done with a soon to be 4yo in the house! King Ranch Chicken is a Texas classic chicken and tortilla casserole, but it is anything but light (besides the tortillas and cheese, oil for sauteing the onnion and green pepper, you have 2 cans of condensed cream soups in the original).

Since we've brought it up, here's the recipe I found in the paper. I haven't compared it to the 2 CL versions.

ALso, I didn't have the tomatoes with chilies or the chicken taco seasoning on hand, so I substituted a 15 oz can of tomatoes and a 4 oz can of green chilies and 3T taco seasoning plus 1/4 tsp garlic and 1/4 tsp onion powder. I had cooked chicken in the freezer, and this was almost an instant dish.

Not Really King Ranch Chicken

Serving Size : 8

1 to 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken -- shredded or diced
    1 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chilies -- Plus extra if needed
    1 10 3/4 oz can 99 percent fat free cream of mushroom soup, condensed
    1 15 oz can black beans
    1 15 oz can whole kernel corn -- drained
    1/2 to 1 pkg chicken taco seasoning
    10 corn tortillas -- torn into 1 inch peices
    1/2 cup cheese -- grated

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine chicken, tomatoes, soup, beans, corn taco seasoning and tortillas in a deep casserole dish of 13x9 inch pan. Mixture should be thick but still soupy. If too think, add more tomatoes. Top with grated cheese.

Bake 45 to 60 minutes until hot and bubbly.

Micowaving mixed canned goods until hot, then adding chicken, taco seasoning and tortillas before pouring into pan and topping with cheese will cut baking time in half.

Smile

Thanks, Beth! It looks great! I can't wait to make it! Texas sure does have great recipes between the King Ranch Chicken and that sheet cake I keep hearing about..you guys know how to eat!!!(Come to think of it I had one of the best hotdogs of my life at Dallas airport! And that was just an airport!!!LOL)

Beth~
    Could you/would you substitute flour tortillas for the corn ones? I have tons of these on hand at the moment and am trying to use them up. Thanks!

~~Susan~~

Susan, haven't made it down the board for a while, so I just saw your note. I have wondered the same thing (about substituting flour tortillas), but have not tried it. You would probably get a similar, maybe a bit softer, texture, but you would not have the same flavor. Since you mix it all together first, you could use the flour tortillas and adjust the seasoning or add more corn to balance it needed. If you try it, let us know. I'll do the same.

Thumbs up

Beth~
    I tried you recipe last night substituting the corn tortillas with 8 flour ones. It turned out great and my hubby loved it! I am having it for lunch today too-yum! Thanks for posting it!

~~Susan~~