Community Message Boards

Thread: Sage substitute

Question Sage substitute

My cooking club is coming to my house to make pasta this weekend & I'm thinking about making Pumpkin Ravioli. All of the recipes that I've found are served in a sage butter sauce. I don't have any sage & don't want to buy it for a couple of teaspoons. I do still have a mild oregano (don't know the name) in my garden that hasn't frozen yet. Do you think I could substitute that for the sage? Or do you have suggestions for another sauce for the ravioli? Thanks for the help.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

No substitute....

IMO there is no substitute for the flavor of sage. That's not to say that oregano or whatever you end up using won't taste wonderful, it just won't be the same.
    Having said that, you mention you don't want to buy a couple tsp of sage just for the recipe. Near my house here in San Diego, Calif we have a store that sells bulk herbs and spices and are priced by the ounce. You can buy as little or as much as you like. Are there any places like that around you that you could just go and buy the amount of sage you will need for the recipe?

With Thanksgiving just days away, Won't you need sage for your turkey or stuffing? If you have some poultry seasoning it's mostly sage w othe herbs Maybe that'll work.
    "If she ain't happy, then you ain't happy"
    Jeff Foxworthy

Misplaced CA in PA

From foodsubs.com

sage Equivalents: 1 tablespoon fresh = 1 teaspoon dried. Notes: Sage is often combined with other strong herbs to flavor meat dishes and poultry stuffings. Use it sparingly; a little goes a long way. Dried sage is an excellent substitute for fresh. Substitutes: poultry seasoning OR rosemary OR thyme
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Just fyi - I had some sage recently where I only needed about 1/3 the package. I washed the rest, put in plastic bag in refrig, and it lasted about 3 more weeks. I was amazed! I'd just look around for some more sage recipes.

Here's one of my favorites, it's easy, it's good!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Creamy Macaroni with Sage

Recipe By :Gourmet January 1999
    Serving Size : 2
    Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Easy Pasta

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 pound elbow macaroni
    1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
    1 1/2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves -- finely chopped
    1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (about 1 1/2 ounces)

Fill a 4-quart kettle three fourths full with salted water and bring to a boil for macaroni. Cook macaroni in boiling water until al dente and drain in a colander.
    While macaroni is cooking, in a non-stick skillet heat butter over moderate heat until foam subsides and add bread crumbs, sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook bread crumb mixture, stirring, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. In a large bowl stir together mascarpone and Parmesan. Add macaroni and salt and pepper to taste, tossing to combine.

Divide macaroni between 2 bowls and sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs.

Thanks for the tips. I tasted my poultry seasoning - which is about 20 years old (what would Emeril say?) - and it had salt & some other things in it. Guess I'll keep looking for fresh sage. Not doing Thanksgiving this year - just lost my Mom & can't deal with holidays right now.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Do you have any where that sells Tone's seasonings? They come in small containers of about half an ounce and cost under a dollar. Granted, they are dried, but that would be a way to get your sage without spending much, etc.

I found this on a website

sage Equivalents: 1 tablespoon fresh = 1 teaspoon dried. Notes: Sage is often combined with other strong herbs to flavor meat dishes and poultry stuffings. Use it sparingly; a little goes a long way. Dried sage is an excellent substitute for fresh. Substitutes: poultry seasoning OR rosemary OR thyme

Quote Originally Posted by single mom of 2 View Post
    Umm, this request is nearly 2 years old. Why post a sub now?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

I missed this thread and printed off that sage macaroni recipe, so I am glad she posted. Love sage!

Although Tyra pasted the exact sub up above. It is sorta weird.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn1007 View Post
    Umm, this request is nearly 2 years old. Why post a sub now?
    I'm also wondering why this particular thread has over 2000 views. Kind of strange.

Oh well.
    Kristal

Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

I think it just has that many views because it's so old. I know that when I first joined I went back and read through a bunch of old posts.
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .