Community Message Boards

Thread: Must vinegar be refrigerated?

Post Must vinegar be refrigerated?

I refrigerate because my mom did. But now I have about 12 different kinds and they're taking up too much space, if they don't absolutely have to be there. And how about mustards... same problem.

Smile

I never refrigerate vinegars but mustard I do.

Cool

ditto, mamasue.

I agee with what was said - no to the vinegar and yes to the mustards, once they are open.

No, you don't need to refrigerate it. There's really not anything that it can convert to, chemically speaking, that is. It's too acidic to grow anything in it. But, it will gradually lose some of its kick if it's not completely sealed. Vinegar, aka acetic acid, is quite volatile, so some of the vinegar will gradually evaporate in a poorly sealed container.

Some of the fruit vinegars, especially homemade ones, should probably be refrigerated just in case there is any residual fruit in it.

It's funny how we pick up habits from our moms. My mother-in-law freezes her pantyhose until she takes them out of the package because that's what her mom did. I'm not sure why grandma did it though! (Maybe because nylon was not made as well a long time ago & would degrade????)

[This message has been edited by Julie O (edited 05-28-2001).]

The Vinegar Institute conducted studies to find out how long vinegar lasts.... It confirmed that its shelf life is almost indefinite. Because of its acid nature, vinegar is self-preserving and does not need refrigeration. White vinegar will remain virtually unchanged over an extended period of time. And, while some changes can be observed in other types of vinegars, such as color changes or the development of a haze or sediment, this is only an aesthetic change. The product can still be used with confidence.
    Now on the mustard question....On the Colman's mustard website:
    : What's the shelf life of Colman's Mustard in the fridge? In room temperature?

A: The shelf life is about 24 months and it is not necessary to refrigerate it (according to Colman's), but Mustard-James says that it wouldn't hurt to refrigerate it... just make sure to put it in an airtight bag. Mustard will not get spoiled but may lose it's flavor after a while.

Julie O -

I heard 10 or 12 years ago that freezing nylons will prevent them from running quickly. I did try this when I was wearing them every day, but didn't find that it made any difference! I just kept a spare pair in my desk drawer.

Kim