Community Message Boards

Thread: Saffron Root

Saffron Root

Well, I have been stumped! DH brought me some saffron root back from Mexico and it looks like a bulb i should plant and from what i find on the web that is what i should do with it....but just in case--anyone have any experience with it? Will it grow from bulb indoors, can i use it the way it is as a root in cooking? Any help would be great! Thanks!
    SweetPea's Pods and Munchkin Caps! www.podsandcaps.com

Saffron is the harvested stigma of autumn crocus. It is the most expensive spice in the world. For a complete discussion of Saffron see:

http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/saffron.html

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Well, I have been stumped! DH brought me some saffron root back from Mexico and it looks like a bulb i should plant and from what i find on the web that is what i should do with it....but just in case--anyone have any experience with it? Will it grow from bulb indoors, can i use it the way it is as a root in cooking? Any help would be great! Thanks!
    It's a perrineal and the root is called a corm. Here's an article that explains everything you want to know about saffron .
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Yes, i was aware of saffron being the harvested stigmas but i wasn't sure if i could do much with this "root". it doesn't look like the pictures of the corm either...hmm...maybe that's not what it really is
    SweetPea's Pods and Munchkin Caps! www.podsandcaps.com

sneezles - WHAT a beautiful web site! Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea
    Yes, i was aware of saffron being the harvested stigmas but i wasn't sure if i could do much with this "root". it doesn't look like the pictures of the corm either...hmm...maybe that's not what it really is

OK, then it must be Mexican saffron which is really safflower:

safflower = Mexican saffron = saffron flower = American saffron Notes: Marketers often call safflower "saffron," but it bears little resemblance to the real thing, except that it imparts a weak, saffron-like color to food. It has very little flavor. Substitutes: saffron (use just a pinch; better flavor but more expensive) OR annatto seeds

Will try to find a picture for you...

ADM,
    Glad you like the site. I get tons of info from there found it while earning my Master Gardener certificate.

So far I've only seen that safflower is propogated by seed not by the root (which is a tap root BTW)...