Community Message Boards

Thread: How far can ahead can you make breakfast casseroles, stratas, etc??

Question How far can ahead can you make breakfast casseroles, stratas, etc??

HELP! I am having a ladies Christmas cookie exchange and brunch on Sunday and have weekend house guests arriving on late Friday afternoon.

Can I make my breakfast casseroles, stratas, baked french toast, etc. - all recipes that say that can be refrigerated overnight - on Friday morning???

I'm comfortable baking my muffins and any baked goods actually on Thursday night, but I don't want to take up a lot of Saturday cooking, especially since our guests have small children.

All of your smarts and advice is greatly appreciated in advance. Thanks!!!

Most of the recipes that I've seen say "refrigerate 8 hours or overnight". If you want to make it earlier, just don't pour the egg/milk mixture over it until the evening before.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I have made breakfast casseroles and bread puddings for Christmas morning up to two days in advance. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or foil, then into a 2-gallon size zip-loc bag to keep the egg ingredients fresh.

They have been not only just fine, but I suspect a little better because of the extra time for the flavors to blend.

I don't know that I would recommend any more than that, but two days before has definitely worked for me.

Sounds like you have lots going on - HAVE FUN!
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."

I think the idea of keeping the egg mixture separate is a good one. Personally, I would be nervous about doing anything with bread more than the night before because I think the bread would get too soggy. That said, since GingerPow has done it and liked it maybe that's just my nervousness and it wouldn't affect it poorly at all.

Good luck and enjoy.

Robyn

I was just re-reading this, and I think to be more precise I should say that I have made these casseroles 36 hours in advance. That may make a difference?

For instance, to bake and serve these on a Saturday morning, I prepared them Thursday afternoon. That's not a full 'two days' and might be an important distinction.

The casseroles have been very good, including a croissant-bread pudding that was custardy & luscious. And, I'm still alive to tell the tale!
    "If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space."