Community Message Boards

Thread: Making your own holiday fruit wreath?

Making your own holiday fruit wreath?

I am tempted to make my own (outdoor but protected) holiday wreath this year. I love fruit wreaths with lemons or apples, etc. DH thinks I should use real fruit, but I am not so sure. Basically I was thinking of buying a wreath (either fresh or "fake" greenery) and adding my own fruit/bow/berries. I would love some advice from those of you who have actually made their own wreaths.

TIA!!

Sherri

Fruit wreaths actually are pretty easy to make. Depending on where you live, they'll stay fresh for several weeks (or longer if you live somewhere cold). If you live in a warm weather climate, the fruit will rot more quickly. The best fruits to use are: lemons, limes, oranges, and apples. The citrus fruits tend to stay fresh longer. It's easy with a wreath mold to use fresh greens and then spike the fruit on top. You can dip the apples (and I think the other fruits too) in floor wax which makes them shinier and also helps to preserve them a bit, too.

I haven't made a fruit wreath but I just got done making 4 ornament wreathes. Basically you need lots of patience until you figure out the technique that will work for you. Once I got going it was easy. Time consuming but easy.

Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to try and do it.