Community Message Boards
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The $5 or Less Stocking Stuffer Thread

Stocking stuffers are ALWAYS wrapped!

Santa gifts are unwrapped!

Go for it!

Our Hallmark Store (maybe yours, as well) has chocolate covered sunflower seeds, that taste very good.

I am so happy to see this thread.

Thanks
    Joyce
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100 View Post

Santa gifts are unwrapped!

Nope! But they're wrapped in special paper... No other gifts are wrapped in "Santa" paper! Amazingly, the DDs did not tumble to that nuance, but we always knew when they were about to open a Santa gift! And there was only 1 per person.
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty100 View Post
    Santa gifts are unwrapped
    ANYTHING from Santa was unwrapped. He didn't have time for such foolishness! Too many other houses to visit. (Also, he saved a chunk of money that way - that was better spent on gifts).
    The cardiologist's diet: - If it tastes good spit it out!

Santa NEVER wraps his gifts - he also has his gift out of the box and assembled - so ready to play!!

He may wrap the stocking stuffers though.

On my dad's side of the family we have always done stockings (unwrapped but take turns sort of) then leisurely breakfast (now with my aunt we always do eggs benedict which I love) and then do gifts. Gift time often goes past noon! As a kid the breakfast part drove me nuts but now I really enjoy it.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself" ~ George Bernard Shaw

Santa wraps his presents in special Santa paper.

Stocking stuffers are unwrapped.

And the Easter bunny hides his baskets.

Other ideas from our house:
    • sleeve of 3 golf balls
    • fruit (almost always a clementine)
    • small Penzey's spices
    • socks (in a stocking! how redundant!)
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

My mom still does them for us, but come to think of it, she's never had one to open She has all matching stockings on the mantel already for everybody else, so should I just buy a random stocking and stick it up there for her?
    This was me. I had never really thought about it because it was so much fun watching everyone go through their stockings...My daughter noticed about 2 years ago, that I had a stocking, but it was empty...she took care of that problem and I have a blast now, seeing what I get in my stocking.

So, ABSOLUTELY!!! Surprise her with a stocking....she will feel so blessed!

I put this information on the other thread, but, I will share it here, as well. I put a Pampered Chef Grill Brush and a rain guage in my husband's stocking. Everytime it rains, he is always wondering howmuch rain we got) And everything that goes into a stocking MUST be wrapped! Extends the fun!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I found some little notepads at Michael's with initials on them for stockings. Also, BB&B had pan scrapers with a grip on them for the homemakers in our family (bought one for myself, too). One of the best stocking stuffers I ever received was a gizmo that cuts that hard plastic packaging! It was yellow, and has a blade you can use to cut, or a letter-opener type slot!
    Kay
    I'm a WYSIWYG person -- no subterfuge here!

I love going through this thread each year to get ideas. In my house, I think the kids get more excited about the stockings than the gift under the tree! The stocking stuffers are almost always wrapped to slow things down. We take turns unwrapping since watching everyone else open up their goodies is part of the fun. I save my scraps from wrapping the other gifts for this purpose.

Some other ideas that haven't been listed already:
    -- cute chopsticks if you're into Chinese food
    -- Yankee Candle jar-in-a-car (or is it car-in-a-jar? )
    Alicia

Most everything is wrapped since it takes them longer to finish! These days I forget about using just the Santa paper for Santa gifts, some years they were lucky to be wrapped at all.

Most stocking stuffers aren't wrapped. The tradition in our house is the stocking was free game as long as you didn't wake me up before 6am (even then I wasn't pleasant until the first cuppa).

This year's stocking stuffer, in addition to the favorite candy and scratch-offs, is a screaming monkey. They have masks and capes and can fly up to 30' but I don't think they actually scream...definitely going to be one of those "Not in this room" toys!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

IF this was posted, I apologize.

Small boxes of flavored Tea Bags! I like to get them in my stocking.
    Hot sauce for my husband.
    Sun flower seeds for my baseball playing son.
    Small bottles of Motril or Advil for our college students.
    Gum.
    Chapstick.
    Favorite candy.
    Lottery scratch off tickets.
    Sox.
    Undies. (Although less than $5 would be tough...)
    Soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioners in travel sizes.
    Magnets.

Our stocking stuffers aren't wrapped - just put in the stocking.

Someone mentioned doing a stocking for her mom that had never had one. I might do that for my parents! Something they never had and would never expect!
    barbara-cook

I was just looking through this thread to get some ideas and thought I'd bump it up for the BB newbies who may not know this thread exists...
    Alicia

This year's stocking stuffer, in addition to the favorite candy and scratch-offs, is a screaming monkey. They have masks and capes and can fly up to 30' but I don't think they actually scream...definitely going to be one of those "Not in this room" toys
    !

This was a GREAT idea for me last year! THANK YOU! Right now, you can still get these for $3.99 each (normally $4.99) with free shipping on orders over $50.00, if you hurry! (at this website:

http://www.officeplayground.com/

My grown children loved them! And yes, these scream twice when they hit their intended target.

Don't 4get the cat :-)

Just wanted to add that my doesn't-live-at-home-unmarried-son-with-a-cat always gets at least one cat toy in his stocking, too. Grandkitty does not have his own stocking, so I need to put a treat for him somewhere . One yr. it was a laser pointer, one year just kitty treats, often a catnip toy.

OMG!! I shipped my family's gifts last week and totally forgot gifts for the cat! I feel awful. It would be so obvious to send a 2nd package, but just might have to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Beth View Post
    One son loves those one size fits all gloves that sell for about $1.
    Target has stocking caps in all colors, girl & guy, for $1 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by gertdog View Post
    Jessica, I was just coming to this thread to post about spices! My dad is on a barbecue kick and with my last Penzey's order, I added the small containers of a few different bbq seasonings/rubs for his stocking, and some sea salt for my sister's stocking.
    I love Watkins vanilla (as good as W-Sonoma), pepper, and cinnamon; these come in tiny tins.

Quote Originally Posted by gobluem82 View Post
    I was just looking through this thread to get some ideas and thought I'd bump it up for the BB newbies who may not know this thread exists...
    And for the BB not-newbies who didn't realize it was an old thread until quoting several very old posts . . .

Quote Originally Posted by zoey55 View Post
    Just wanted to add that my doesn't-live-at-home-unmarried-son-with-a-cat always gets at least one cat toy in his stocking, too.
    Our cat always has a stocking. This year, it'll hold a feather-on-a-stick kitty toy, and a jar of Pounce treats. Our betta fish has a (tiny) stocking, too. He's getting a net.
    If you're afraid of butter, use cream. ~~ Julia Child

As you cook, you enjoy omniscience about food that no amount of label reading can match. Having retaken control of the meal from the food scientists, you know exactly what is in it. (Unless you start w/cream of mushroom soup, in which case all bets are off.) To reclaim control over one's food, to take it back from industry & science, is no small thing; indeed, in our time, cooking from scratch qualifies as subversive. ~~ Michael Pollan

My mom, my sister (when I was still speaking to her :mad and I used to give each other kitchen magnets in our stockings. We had so much fun at it that my fridge was 2/3 covered!
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

Quote Originally Posted by gertdog View Post
    Jessica, I was just coming to this thread to post about spices! My dad is on a barbecue kick and with my last Penzey's order, I added the small containers of a few different bbq seasonings/rubs for his stocking, and some sea salt for my sister's stocking.

We always have scratch-off lottery tickets and chocolate coins in our stockings. Other candy, too- I try to find things you can't get in the checkout line at the grocery store. Last year everyone got Abba Zabba peanut-butter filled taffy. This year it will be See's chocolate-covered peanut brittle bars.
    Is it too late to be adopted into your family? Seriously - I love Penzeys (of course), but most of all, I love See's chocolate-covered peanut brittle. I have a box of it on my Christmas list! Thank god I work for a company in California; I get to buy it whenever I fly out there! (And yes, I know I could order it online - but I need to limit myself, otherwise I won't fit in my jeans anymore!)
    http://5recipes.blogspot.com

With thanks to Loren for reminding me about this thread (since I needed stuffer ideas too) I thought it would be a good time for the 2010 bump up.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

Linda, I was just thinking about this thread! It's one of my favorites.

I found these neat little fold-up cleaning cloths for smart phone or other device screens at Bed, Bath & Beyond last week for $5 each. Eyeglass or sunglass cleaning cloths would be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by HejazSunKat View Post
    With thanks to Loren for reminding me about this thread (since I needed stuffer ideas too) I thought it would be a good time for the 2010 bump up.
    You're welcome! I'm doing last minute stocking stuffers tonight. This thread will never go out of date!
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Thanks for the bump up! I will be hunting stocking stuffers Thursday night!

I hope it's not too early, but I am trying to work on my gift lists today and was reading this old stocking stuffer thread. I am not sure I stick to a five dollar and under limit any longer, but I did have some things to add, and would love to hear anyone else's suggestions:

Guitar strings and picks for the guitar players in the family
    iTunes gift cards
    Small packages of nuts and/or trail mix from Trader Joe (one large bag will have smaller, individually wrapped bags inside; these were a big hit last year)
    Single-serve packs of ?Justin's brand peanut and almond butter, various flavors; I found these last year at Whole Foods and they were a hit

I also scour the kitchen aisle at TJ Maxx and Marshall's for good kitchen or food items. Last year I bought myself a Kuhn Rikon serrated non-stick paring knife for a couple dollars and I really LOVE it. I have also found vanilla paste and other stuff cheap there.

So, any new ideas?

always love this thread. Not too early - I'm hoping to finish everything soon.

wish there were other cooks in the family - stockings would be so easy.

baseball cards, wood glue (he's gotten into model rockets), for DH
    reusuable grocery bags and vegetable bags for mom and mil
    pokeman cards, pez, marble set for DS

I love this thread. Sorry if I'm repeating something from previous years...

For my craft-loving kids: their very own scotch tape, tape measures, dry-erase markers for their easel, mini craft punches in fun shapes like dinosaurs and suns. Dover Little Activity books are in their stockings every year.

Lego or Playmobil mini figures
    For little wooden train lovers: single pieces of special RR track
    Bowl scraper
    Colorful chip bag clips (Zyliss and Oxo make some that are pretty and functional)

chocolate oranges
    good quality candy bar
    candles
    a couple of fancy bulk teas gunpowder green is a good one as is market spice
    fancy coffee
    chocolate covered coffee beans
    homemade chocolate turtles
    sampler lotion, shampoo, cream rinse, toothpaste, mouthwash for travelers
    embarassing photo or two in thrift store frames
    dog cookies for the labrador
    tennis balls for the labrador (pick up free used ones from rackett ball club)
    Fancy big candy cane for swirling in hot chocolate or coffee
    Packets of fancy hot chocolate
    Mini flashlights for key rings
    a poem or two - funny is best
    unusual dried fruit packets - found dragon fruit one year
    Anne

Just an aside here. I was putting up stockings this weekend and we've adopted a dog since last Christmas. No worries, instead of hanging 3 stockings I only hung 2. DH says, that's okay, (new) dog won't notice. Excuse me? The 2 hanging there are for the pets....? Come on, Man! LOL

Starbucks has those one serving iced tea and iced coffee packets I thought might be nice for the coffee drinkers.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

its that time of year!

any new ideas??

I think for DH it'll be mostly office supplies (which he seems to enjoy), gourmet root beer flavored candy cane and Reese peanut butter trees.

For my son, matchbox cars, lego school supplies (that I got on back to school clearance), and toy skateboards

was lucky enough to have a second round of points from credit cards
    to get each child and their spouse/GF a 40.00 card to Outback Steakhouse.

Pier One has a cute rubber chicken, I think $6.99, that when you squeeze it an
    egg comes out it's hinney. Release and it goes back up in the hinney. We got one
    last year, that sits on a limb on our Christmas tree. Everyone that comes in,
    notices it plays with it and we all get a laugh out of that thing.
    Got one for all of the adults for their Christmas tree.

Walgreens has those square boxes of gummy (think gummy bear) lifesavers, the
    one that opens like a book.

Barnes and Noble has 100 piece puzzles that with my membership may have cost
    $2.00 a box.

Books A Million has a card of 6 or 8 mustaches that you peel off the card and stick
    on your face that I got for all of the boys. Gonna go back and get them for the girls,
    I think they look like so much fun! $6.99

Everyone got a book. with my member discount at B&N cost under $10.00 each.
    (Got recommendations from parents, spouses and general questions)

My son and his G/F got a cat, so I purchased some Cat Butt Gum (6 pieces of Kiss
    My A$$ attitude) for them. Books a Million

At the Lifeway Store, I purchased little tins in the shape of a candy cane (painted as a candy cane)
    that says JESUS, Sweetest Name I know. It has a couple of candy canes in it, but they can keep it
    to save some kind of trinket , later. Maybe $2.99. Had a coupon, so don't remember exactly.

Little packs of red, white and green candy corn--Lifeway Store....Maybe 39cents.

Wind up toy animals that bend down and then flip over. thought we could have
    contests and race them or something. Maybe $2.99. Pier One.

A 12 inch tube that has cotton Candy in it-- WalMart $2.00

Mad Lib books, Bed, Bath and Beyond. $2 or $3 with coupon.

At the very bottom of the stocking, everyone gets batteries that will match a gift we
    got them, if gift needed batteries.

We love those Dollar Tree Ginormous stockings they have for a buck.
    Last edited by jmarie; 12-14-2012 at 08:34 PM.