Community Message Boards

Thread: St. Nick night ??

Question St. Nick night ??

I'm thoroghly embarrassed, but I cannot remember the date of St. Nick night.
    You know, the evening small prizes are left in stockings for the children
    to find in the morning---a pre-Christmas teaser. I'm sure it is early in
    December, but the exact date escapes me.

TIA for the help!

(DS and DD are asking for books from our school book fair, and I thought that
    these would be great stocking stuffers!)
    DoDo

My mom always did St. Nick's on the night of Dec 5, so that when we got up on Dec 6, there would be gifts in our shoes. I'm 37 now and my mom still sends a St. Nick's gift and it's fun!

ktg0930,

Thanks for the quick reply! I was thinking it was either the 3rd or 5th.
    I will write it on my calendar so as not to forget in the future.

Your mom is sooo sweet! Bless her heart! What a fun tradition!

Happy Holidays,
    DoDo
    DoDo

I have never heard of it!
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

St. Nick was a tradition in our Catholic Household. My Mom, aka St. Nick, always gave us in a brown paper bag, salted peanuts in the shell, a candy cane and an orange. She would send us off to the living room and knock on the back door and she would yell "St.Nick was here" we would run to get our our paper bags sitting on the steps. We fell for that for quite a few years!

I'll do St. Nicholas for almost 50 kids this year. They'll leave their shoes on the 5th, and will receive candy on the 6th.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

Quote Originally Posted by Goin' Coastal
    I have never heard of it!
    Me either. Sounds like we got gypped out of a lot of peanuts and candy!
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

In Holland, it's the traditional holiday when kids get their presents, instead of Christmas (and Santa). When we lived there, St.Nick would go from house to house with his very non-PC black helper and when he left, all the presents would 'magically' appear.

Angela

I'm Catholic but somehow my parents must have missed this tradition. Sounds like fun.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Our Catholic household did this as well when I was growing up. This year I will be visiting my parents, so I bet my mom has something planned.
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

yup we did this too. for some reason we had a wooden dutch shoe. we would leave it out with our list for santa on night of dec 5th and on morning of dec 6th it would have some candy and chocolate goldfoil wrapped coins in it. i plan to do the same for my kids when they are old enough to have a list.
    angela - mom of abby age 2, miles born 4-18-05;physician; yoga enthusiast; amateur cook

Quote Originally Posted by angelamaria
    yup we did this too. for some reason we had a wooden dutch shoe. we would leave it out with our list for santa on night of dec 5th and on morning of dec 6th it would have some candy and chocolate goldfoil wrapped coins in it. i plan to do the same for my kids when they are old enough to have a list.
    This explains much! Thanks for mentioning it. In one craft shop we shop at I'd guess that 20% of the Christmas stuff is dutch shoe themed. DH and I had no idea of this tradition.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.