Community Message Boards

Thread: Christmas Cookies that freeze well

Christmas Cookies that freeze well

Good morning!

I am throwing a Christmas party on Dec 15, but I would like to start some of the cooking this Saturday.

Does anyone have really good cookie/bar/etc recipes that freeze well for about 2 weeks.

I already plan to freeze some sugar cookies, because I'm sure those will be fine.

What about fudge?

Thank you!
    Jessica

Hey jessica, on a previous thread I had for candy, chocolate rose gave me a really good recipe for christmas bark. It was so good and looked so pretty. She said it keeps for a month in the fridge so you might want to consider giving this a try!
    I'm looking forward to some of the responses because I plan on freezing some cookies myself!
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

This is probably the peppermint bark recipe referred to. Or some version of it anyway. It's very pretty. And easy. And definately freezes well. BTW, The recipe says 50 pepermint canes but I usually put more than that.

Peppermint Brittle

INGREDIENTS:
    • 2 pounds white chocolate
    • 50 small peppermint candy canes
    3. Place candy canes in a plastic bag, or between two pieces of waxed paper. Using a mallet or rolling pin, break the candy canes into chunks. Stir peppermint into melted white chocolate. Spread evenly in pan, and chill until set, about 1 hour. Break into pieces by slamming pan on counter.

the majority of cookie/bar recipes freeze well. so I would just go ahead and choose the cookie recipes based on what sounds good to you and that you think would work well at your party. then, if you are concerned about whether they will freeze well, just ask about it here!

Here is the bark recipe, I will be also trying the peppermint one too!

Festive Christmas Bark

Recipe By :Mom
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Candies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup shelled pistachio nuts -- (about 1/2 pound in shell)
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate -- chopped
    8 ounces white chocolate -- chopped
    3/4 cup dried, sweetened cranberries

Heat the oven to 350Ί and lightly toast the pistachios on a baking sheet, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the nuts cool

Melt the semisweet chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Melt the white chocolate separately, following the same directions.

In a small bowl, combine the nuts and cranberries, then stir half of them into the semisweet chocolate. Using a spatula, spread the mixture to about a 1/2-inch thickness on a large cookie sheet. Drop the white chocolate by tablespoonfuls over the dark. With the tip of a butter knife, swirl the chocolates together to create a marbled effect. Sprinkle on the rest of the nuts and berries.

Refrigerate the bark for about 1 hour or until firm, then break it into pieces. Store the bark in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month. Makes about 1 3/4 pounds.

Talking freezing cookies

I have an awesome lady lock recipe (they are the bit size lady locks) that freeze wonderfully for about 6 months! In fact, I usually pop a few in my mouth while they're frozen.

LADY LOCKS

• 1 lb. margarine
    • 3 C flour
    • 1 C Sour Cream

Blend margarine & flour like pie crust (use a fork or pastry blender). Add sour cream. Roll & wrap in wet tee towel. Place in refrigerator overnight. Remove from fridge: cut into 4 pieces. Roll out only 1 piece at a time: wrap up remaining pieces & keep in fridge. Roll dough knife-thin on floured surface (I use a pillow case dusted with flour). Cut into 4” long strips, ½“ to Ύ“ wide. Wrap on clothes pins or dowels that have been covered in foil.
    Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. If brown on bottom, they’re done. Yields 24-36 doz., depending on how thinly the dough is rolled.
    FILLING

• 1½ C Boiled milk - cooled
    CREAM TOGETHER:
    • 2 C Sugar
    • 2 Sticks Margarine
    • 1 C Crisco
    • 2 tsp. vanilla
    • Dash of salt

Slowly add milk until creamy.
    TIPS: I make 2 batches to fill my lady locks. Filling can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Can use 1 tsp. almond and 1 tsp. vanilla for a slightly different taste. 3 drops of food coloring will tint the filling.

I have a limited cookie repetoir (trying to broaden it this year), but I may as well add my question - is it okay to freeze iced cookies? I have a recipe for gingerbread cookies that are supposed to have a chocolate coating (though I may not bother, they're good as is), and I wasn't sure if freezing would hurt the icing.

Of course, my *real* problem is that my freezer is already stuffed and it's not even December yet.

Whenever I encounter a recipe that is frosted, it says to freeze them unfrosted and then frost when needed. Hope that helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuff
    Whenever I encounter a recipe that is frosted, it says to freeze them unfrosted and then frost when needed.
    That is what I do also. I know some people freeze frosted cookies, but I have had some icings become brittle and change consistency somewhat after freezing, so now I just wait until they are thawed.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Most cookies freeze really well -- just seal them well.

Cookies with frosting per other posts generally don't freeze well.

Also cookies with confectioners sugar dusted on will lost that coating after being frozen -- lots of the variants of meltaways and Mexican/Russian wedding cakes are rolled in confectionars sugar while still warm.

Brownies and cookies made with almond paste freeze really well.

Quote Originally Posted by patissac
    Here is the bark recipe, I will be also trying the peppermint one too!

Festive Christmas Bark

Recipe By :Mom
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Candies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 cup shelled pistachio nuts -- (about 1/2 pound in shell)
    12 ounces semisweet chocolate -- chopped
    8 ounces white chocolate -- chopped
    3/4 cup dried, sweetened cranberries

Heat the oven to 350Ί and lightly toast the pistachios on a baking sheet, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the nuts cool

Melt the semisweet chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Melt the white chocolate separately, following the same directions.

In a small bowl, combine the nuts and cranberries, then stir half of them into the semisweet chocolate. Using a spatula, spread the mixture to about a 1/2-inch thickness on a large cookie sheet. Drop the white chocolate by tablespoonfuls over the dark. With the tip of a butter knife, swirl the chocolates together to create a marbled effect. Sprinkle on the rest of the nuts and berries.

Refrigerate the bark for about 1 hour or until firm, then break it into pieces. Store the bark in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month. Makes about 1 3/4 pounds.

Oh, that sounds pretty!!

Don't know if this would help you out at all or not, but what I do is freeze the cookie dough, then thaw in the fridge a day or so before I want to bake them. Then they're still fresh baked. There's really no impact on the flavor at all. Just squish the dough into a log and roll in parchment paper, fold in or twist the ends and throw them ina ziploc bag. I just write the kind of cookie, temp, and cooking time on the bag so I don't have to drag the recipes back out. About half my freezer right now is cookie dough for Christmas!
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Capucine
    Oh, that sounds pretty!!
    Funny you say that, people were asking me "You made this?!". My coworkers thought I bought it at a candy store!

Great comments so far, keep it up!

Thank you on the frosted cookies. I had planned to freeze some of those but now I will not do that!

And great comment on freezing the dough first, I will definitely do that. That makes a lot of sense and I like the idea of cooking the day of the party so the house smells good!

I saw the recipe for Chocolate Crackles. The dough is supposed to be really sticky. I wonder if that dough would freeze well?

Jessica

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaT
    I saw the recipe for Chocolate Crackles. The dough is supposed to be really sticky. I wonder if that dough would freeze well?

Jessica
    These freeze best, in my opinion, after they are baked and cooled.
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

On the chocolate crackles:
    I don't know why the dough wouldn't freeze well. Everything I have tried has done really well. But there may be more to this than I think.
    All I do is blop the dough onto some parchment paper, lay the tail of the paper over the top of the dough, and then take a cookie sheet or a scraper and use that to squish the dough into a log shape (A-la Alton Brown). One its frozen, the paper peels off of the dough pretty easily, so you could take it out of the paper and defrost in a bowl if you wanted to. I usualy just scoop the dough right off of the log so I don't have to dirty any more dishes.
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

Thanks HealthyinMN! I checked out your blog and will use the Cream Cheese Walnut cookies recipe. The photo looked great!!! These recipes will work well since you have to freeze the dough as part of the recipe. I'll just do that and cook the day of the party.

Your blog is amazing! I can't believe all the time you get to spend cooking. Lucky you. And great job!

Jessica

Thanks HealthyinMN! I checked out your blog and will use the Cream Cheese Walnut cookies recipe. The photo looked great!!! These recipes will work well since you have to freeze the dough as part of the recipe. I'll just do that and cook the day of the party.

Your blog is amazing! I can't believe all the time you get to spend cooking. Lucky you. And great job!

Jessica

Thanks JessicaT!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

And once frozen...

So I too am planning to do some advance baking and freezing, since I want to give people variety platters. How does one unfreeze then? Take them out of the freezer the day before you're going to give the cookies to people? Sorry for the dumb question, but I've never done this before!

I freeze my cookies every Christmas to have at various times, in-laws party, my party and for new year's, and I usually take them out of the freezer and arrange them on my platter a little before the time I am going to serve them, ie half an hour to hour I would say, I have never had a problem with them, they seem to thaw quickly.