Community Message Boards

Thread: Pesto without the nuts???

Pesto without the nuts???

Hey Guys.
    So I'm cooking the main dish for supper club next week, and we have very difficult diets to work with. Including vegetarians and someone that is extremely allergic to nuts, beans, soy, legumes....
    So, I'm thinking to make CL's butternut squash pesto pizza. I was thinking to make this, but in hoping to make it work for everyone.
    Can I make the pesto without the nuts??? What do you think?

Pesto: 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped walnuts or pine nuts
    2 garlic cloves, peeled
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 cups basil leaves (about 4 ounces)
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    -Amy-

You can absolutely make the pesto without the nuts. I make variations on basil puree all the time- sometimes just basil, olive oil and salt, sometimes with some garlic, sometimes a full pesto with nuts and cheese.

You could make the pesto w/o nuts, and then offer toasted pine nuts for others to sprinkle on their pizza (unless the allergy is so severe that just being around nuts would be risky).

Absolutely! I usually make pesto without nuts (mainly to cut out some calories). It does lose a little bit of body and flavor, but I doubt anyone notices in your recipe (which sounds awesome by the way - it's on my "to do" list!).

It's cheaper without the nuts too

I have made it withouth nuts too, but was thinking about the comment on lost texture and flavor. Could you use sunflower or pumpkin seeds -- a non-nut?

I make my pesto w/out garlic. Real Italians everywhere would shudder, but it works for us.

You can use any nut in pesto. They make yummy variatons.

(re: allergies, though, I'd still avoid sunflower seeds. guess I'm just nervous that way)

Thanks so much for your quick replies!
    I'm so thrilled to know I can make this recipe! Actually, I'm debating between this and the spicy pumpkin enchillada sauce, but I'd have to make two versions of that (one w/ beans, one w/ meat), so I may just stick to the pizza.

Actually, I think he can have seeds, so sunflower seeds is an interesting option. Hmm....
    -Amy-