Community Message Boards

Thread: Tacos for 100 question

Tacos for 100 question

DS' swim team is this weekend and I am in charge of hospitality which means I have to feed the coaches, officials, and volunteers (about 100 people). I was thinking about doing a taco bar one day for lunch, but had a few questions for you all.

One, how many tacos do you think you can get from a pound of ground beef. I can figure this out on my own by making tacos during the week, but they weren't on my list for dinner this week.

I was planning on cooking all the ground beef ahead of time at my house, and then reheating it and adding the taco mix in crockpots. Do you think this will work or will the meet get too dried out. Also, how long would it take to get the meat back to warm.

We don't have refridgerators available, but will have coolers with no ice issues. Could I bring the cooked meat and leave it in a cooler overnight packed in ice, or do you think I am asking for trouble. (I can leave it at home, but that requires me to rearrange my refridgerator and I also have guests coming in that weekend).

I can always go to deli sandwiches, but I already have that on the menu for one day.

Thanks in advance,
    Laura

Visit my blog about cooking and a new season of life at http://reconnecting-with-my-kitchen.blogspot.com/

This is your life, are you who you want to be?
    ~ Switchfoot

Talking

I'm figuring you can get about 10 tacos per lb - depending on how hungry they are! As for cooking the meat before hand, I do it all the time when I make chili during the week - I just did that last night - I cooked the meat with onions and peppers, then threw it in the crock pot and put it in the fridge.......I put all the spices and sauces in it this morning - the meat has never been dried out. It will prob take a good hour to reheat it, but I would leave 1-1/2 hrs for that just in case and I don't see why you couldn't leave iton ice - as long as there is plenty of ice to keep it really cold.......hope this helps!

Thanks NMG, I was planning on 8 tacos per pound so that sounds good.

Visit my blog about cooking and a new season of life at http://reconnecting-with-my-kitchen.blogspot.com/

~ Switchfoot

This is from Food for Fifty. It came with my MC program. Maybe the proportions will help.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tacos

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 50 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Sandwich

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    13 pounds ground beef, round (AP) (9 lb EP)
    1 pound onion -- chopped
    3 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/2 cup chili powder
    1 3/4 tablespoons garlic powder
    3 tablespoons salt
    1 tablespoon oregano, leaf
    2 tablespoons cumin
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 quarts water
    100 taco shells
    TOPPING:
    4 pounds head lettuce -- chopped
    3 pounds tomatoes -- fresh diced
    2 pounds processed cheese -- shredded

Brown beef in steam-jacketed or other kettle until internal temperature reaches 155F. Drain off fat. Add onions and cook until softened.

Combine cornstarch and seasonings in a bowl. Add to ground beef and onions. Mix well.

Add water to meat mixture. Mix. Simmer 45 minutes, stirring frequently.

Place shells in counter pans. Heat in oven until warm and crisp. To serve, fill each taco shell with No. 24 dipper of meat mixture, 1 1/2 oz each.

Cover meat mixture with lettuce, then tomato, and top with shredded cheese. Serve with Salsa (p. 568) to spoon on top.

Source:
    "Sandwich Recipes"
    Copyright:
    " 2004 by Prentice-Hall, Inc."
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 453 Calories; 27g Fat (54.2% calories from fat); 31g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 92mg Cholesterol; 823mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat.

NOTES : Potentially hazardous food. Food Safety Standards: Hold food for service at an internal temperature above 140F. Do not mix old product with new. Cool leftover product quickly (within 4 hours) to below 41F. See p. 44 for cooling procedures. Reheat leftover product quickly (within 2 hours) to 165F. Reheat product only once; discard if not used.

Commercial salsa may be substituted for Salsa recipe.

Commercial taco seasoning mix may be substituted for spices. Follow manufacturer's directions for amount to use.

2 oz (1 cup) dehydrated onions, rehydrated in 1 1/2 cups water, may be substituted for fresh onions.

VARIATIONS:

Nacho Tostados. Place 3/4 oz (about 6 large) round unsalted nacho chips on serving plate. Place No. 12 dipper (3 oz) taco meat on top of chips. Ladle 2 oz Nacho Sauce (p. 80) over meat. Place approximately 1 1/2 oz shredded head lettuce and 3/4 oz diced fresh tomatoes on top of meat. Serve with condiments: Guacamole (pp. 78, 80), sour cream, and Salsa (p. 568).

Tostados. Fry 50 10-inch flour or corn tortillas in hot oil, 20-30 seconds on each side, until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towel. Keep warm. To serve, spread each tortilla with No. 20 dipper Refried Beans (p. 640), then one No. 12 dipper of meat (3 oz). Top with 1 1/2 oz chopped head lettuce, 3/4 oz chopped fresh tomatoes, and 1 oz shredded cheese. Serve with condiments: Guacamole (pp. 78, 80), sour cream, Salsa (p. 568), chopped green onions, chopped green chilies, and sliced ripe olives.

Turkey Tacos. Substitute ground turkey for ground beef.

Nutr. Assoc. : 126 0 0 0 0 0 3133 0 0 0 0 0 747 0 4631
    Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard all the bull before.

Cheryl

thanks! that especially helps with the amounts needed for the cheese and lettuce, and tomatoes.

~ Switchfoot

I used 10 pounds of burger to feed tacos to about 50 people - I also had tons of other fillings - beans, rice, cheeses, and veges. It was probably the only time in the last 20 years I have purchased burger from a store and I was shocked by the amount of fat and water that cooked out of it (maybe 1/3 or more of the original weight?). If tacos are the main course you might want at least 3 or 4 per person. good luck.
    Anne

Sorry I don't have anything to add, but I just wanted to say that when I saw the title of the thread I couldn't figure it out at first - I thought you were trying to play Jeopardy or something....

I'll take "Tacos for 100" Alex.....