Community Message Boards

Thread: chipotle sauce substitute?

chipotle sauce substitute?

I'm making a chili recipe that calls for chipotle (sp?) sauce...I looked and looked and can't find it in any grocery store. Is there anything I could instead of it?

Lightbulb Try this?

Hi Razdawg. Why not just buy canned chioptles in Adobo and process them into a sauce in your blender or food processor? You could then put them through a strainer if you wanted to remove most of the solids.
    The canned ones are very prevalent in the major grocery stores on the Hispanic foods aisle. Well at least around here they are.

Thanks! I'll check if they have it...

Check the aisle with the Tabasco - they make a Chipotle Pepper Sauce. Or do as Hammster suggests. I freeze blobs (~1 Tbs ea) of leftover puréed chipotles in adobo sauce - excellent source of spicy heat and smokey flavour!
    Cheers! Andy

In a pinch, I've used chipotle pepper spice and it's worked pretty well.

Denise
    "If you're lucky enough to live in the mountains, you're lucky enough."

Is this for the Black Bean Chili? If so, I wasn't sure what they meant, either. I just used salsa and added 1/2 t. chipotle pepper. Worked great!
    Stacy

Good thought...........

Quote Originally Posted by hAndyman
    Check the aisle with the Tabasco - they make a Chipotle Pepper Sauce. Or do as Hammster suggests. I freeze blobs (~1 Tbs ea) of leftover puréed chipotles in adobo sauce - excellent source of spicy heat and smokey flavour!
    I kinda forgot about the Chipotle Tabasco sauce even though I have a bottle of it in my cupboard at home. LOL. I guess I got focused on just the chipotle aspect of the question.