Community Message Boards

Thread: Cookie dough in FP? What am I doing wrong?

Cookie dough in FP? What am I doing wrong?

I thought I had read many times that people use their Food processor for cookie dough...I just did it, and basically ended up having to stir everything by hand because the blade just whips everything to though outer edge of the bowl and then spins in space!

Am I not supposed to use my FP? I used the dough blade and the dough setting.

Arr.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

no advice, just a big "me too." I tried cookie dough in there once with the same results as you. but I used my regular blade, I think. I also tried cake batter in there (a recipe instructed to use the FP) and it was just a big ol' pain in the butt. never again.

Quote Originally Posted by valchemist
    no advice, just a big "me too." I tried cookie dough in there once with the same results as you. but I used my regular blade, I think. I also tried cake batter in there (a recipe instructed to use the FP) and it was just a big ol' pain in the butt. never again.
    Val, I consider you the resident baking expert, so if it didn't work for you, that's all I need to hear. Back to the hand mixer it is.

Bread dough, BTW, works excellently (IMO) in the FP. In case anyone's lurking and wondering.
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

Not really a baking expert but I think recipes will now specify the use of a FP only when it is to be used instead of a mixer - I think it's when stuff is being cut together rather than creamed.

When FP's first came out, they were touted as the replacement for EVERY appliance but things calmed down. Same thing with microwave ovens -- the earliest cookbooks had recipes for stuff that made NO SENSE -- i.e. didn't particularly cut down on cooking time, convenience, clean up etc. Now recipes are much more discerning in terms of which gizmo really is most suited to a particular recipe or technique. The gadget makers hire recipe inventors who have to come up with recipes that use the gadget even if it makes NO SENSE.

The only type of dough I have ever had any luck with in a FP was pie dough I use my KA for everything else
    "If she ain't happy, then you ain't happy"
    Jeff Foxworthy

Misplaced CA in PA

I make cookie dough & pie dough in my KA. I use the metal blade, not the smaller dough blade. Maybe that's why you had trouble. I cream the butter & sugar, then add the eggs & vanilla, then the dry ingredients and pulse it just until things are mixed, so the dough doesn't get tough. Sorry it didn't work for you. Sometime try it again with the other blade.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

I use my processor for cookie dough all the time too. I use the regular blade. Was your butter cold and hard when you started? If its hard, one needs to cut it into fairly small pieces to get it to start mixing with the sugar. If it isn't too hard, I cut each stick into about 6 pieces. Hope you'll try it again sometime, its a time saver

I did use the regular blade, now that I think of it. what I didn't like was trying to get the dough off the sharp blade after it was mixed. and it is harder to scrape the dough out of the corners of the FP bowl than it is to scrape out of a rounded mixing bowl.

finally, the FP is harder to clean than a mixing bowl and 2 beaters.

but it looks like some people really like the FP mixing method, so to each his own!