Community Message Boards

Thread: Help me plan a breakfast tray!

Help me plan a breakfast tray!

A little background -- DH goes for a medical treatment every 2 weeks, and has for the last few years. It is fairly involved (general anesthesia) and the staff is wonderful and we are very grateful to them. At Christmas I like to take a tray of goodies out to them. Since they start early in the morning (around 6:30) and don't really have time to sit down, I usually take a tray of "breakfasty" baked goods that they can grab quickly or enjoy if they do have a minute to sit down.

Last year I had Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread, Cranberry Orange Bread, Maple Oat Scones, and one other thing which escapes me right now. I can't remember what I have taken in the past, but I'm not so worried about that, I just don't really want to repeat what I took last year. So far I am thinking:

Cinnamon Swirl Quick bread (from BHG Holiday Baking this year)
    Christmas Scones (from KA -- very yummy with cranberries and pecans)
    and . . .???

I know I need something else, but am drawing a blank. Suggestions? We are going to the hospital Monday am so I have plenty of time.

Thanks,
    Claire

Talking

How about Blueberry muffins and maybe some kind of apple spice bread??? Someone had posted this chunky apple cranberry spice cake the other day....

Chunky Apple-Cranberry Spice Cake 365 Great Cakes & Pies

2.5 cups peeled, diced (1/2 inch) Golden Delicious apples
    1.5 sticks butter, softened
    2/3 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    3 large eggs
    2 cups flour
    1.5 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    1 cup fresh cranberries
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    Classic Custard Sauce

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a 9-inch glass pie plate, arrange apples in a single layer. Cover loosely with wax paper and microwave on high 5 to 6 minutes, stirring once after 3 minutes, or until apples are tender when tested with small sharp knife. Coarsely mash apples with back of a spoon and let cool. (You should have 1 cup apples.)

In a large bowl, beat together butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, allspice, and salt. With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour, and beat just until blended.

With a rubber spatula, fold apple mixture into batter. Coarsely chop 1/2 cup cranberries and stir into batter with walnuts. Turn into a well-greased 9-inch springform pan; smooth top. Sprinkle top with remaining whole cranberries and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.

Bake 65 to 70 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes. Remove springform side of pan. Serve warm or at room temperature with Classic Custard Sauce.

Classic Custard Sauce
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    3/4 cup milk
    1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    4 large egg yolks
    1/3 cup sugar

In a medium saucepan, bring cream, milk, and vanilla bean to a boil. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until smooth. Gradually whisk in hot milk mixture. Return to pan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until custard has thickened slightly and coats the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. (Do not boil.)

Strain custard through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Remove vanilla bean and scrape out seeds; add seeds to cream and discard pod. (If using vanilla extract, whisk into strained custard to blend.) Refrigerate until chilled, 1 hour.

How about some sort of savory muffin/quick bread--maybe a cheese muffin or even just some cornbread?

Mini muffins

I agree with muffins & make them in the mini-muffin pans. You're right - those nurses never get to sit down!
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Thanks for the suggestions. That apple cranberry spice cake looks great, and something less sweet is probably a good idea. I thought of doing croissants, but am not sure I have time over the next few days to get the dough going.

Claire

What about mini quiches? Or would these be staying out at room temp for too long?

I'm impressed if you do croissants. Those are one of those things I would love to try, but seems like a lot of work and very difficult !
    Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

You could also make some granola and portion them in those sturdy little muffin cups -- I think they are usually intended for nuts or candies. I like Paula Deen's Lip Smackin Granola but I know there are tons of recipes out there.