Community Message Boards

Thread: Pumpkin Ravioli- what sauce do I use?

Pumpkin Ravioli- what sauce do I use?

Hello all!

I bought some pumpkin ravioli yesterday and am wondering what type of sauce I should serve it with? Please provide input and recipes..

Thanks!

I bought some once at an Italian grocery and made a light cream sauce to go with it. I have also seen recipes that call for a brown butter sage sauce (which I think is just simply butter browned in a pan with sage added, maybe 1 or 2 other ingredients). You could buy or make an alfredo sauce with a little nutmeg in it.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a cola in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOOOOO HOOOOOO, what a ride!"

I made pumpkin ravioli as one of three recipes for cooking club. I used browned butter sauce with a little fresh oregano - didn't want to buy fresh sage for a little bit. It was okay, though not my favorite. I think that a light cream sauce with nutmeg would be good.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Personally I enjoy it tossed lightly in butter or olive oil, with a dash of salt and pepper. That's it. Simple, and it lets the flavors of the ravioli come through. I have had it with a sage sauce which was good, too, but I still prefer the simplicity.

I would do a brown butter sauce, as Food Fussy said above. Just brown some butter in a pan, then add some fresh sage and some salt, butter, and nutmeg. Pour it over the cooked ravioli, stir very gently, then sprinkle some parmesan over the top. It's delicious and won't compete with the delicate pumpkin flavor.
    "In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport."
    --Julia Child

My favorite for pumpkin raviolis is a browned butter sage sauce.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

I can't find the butter sage sauce recipe I have used in the past, but there are a few suggestions on this thread: http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...mpkin+raviolis

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Butter and sage vote

Quote Originally Posted by layatp
    Hello all!

I bought some pumpkin ravioli yesterday and am wondering what type of sauce I should serve it with? Please provide input and recipes..

Thanks!
    I'm with the others. I don't know if I this is the "proper" way to do this, but I use about 2-3 Tbs of butter to about 4-5 sage leaves. I don't brown the butter; I just get it barely foamy, throw in the sage, turn the heat off after about 10 seconds, and let the butter cool with the sage in it. Then, toss the butter/sage in a bowl with the ravioli's and server.

Da bomb!

I don't have a recipe, unfortunately, but the first time I had pumpkin ravioli they were served with a light maple cream sauce and topped with toasted, chopped walnuts. YUM! I tried to get the recipe, but they wouldn't share. They did say it was just a light cream sauce with a little maple syrup added.

This was served as an appetizer. It might be too heavy at entree portions with the cream sauce.

Michelle

I've tried the brown butter sauce and sage with pumpkin ravioli and it's tasty, but I prefer a light gorgonzola cream sauce. Alternately, a light cream sauce flavored with a little sage might be nice too.