Community Message Boards

Thread: Difference between Pumpkin Puree and regular canned pumplin

Question Difference between Pumpkin Puree and regular canned pumplin

I have had several recipes that call for puree.. I have been to many store her in Fl and cannot find puree
    Can you tell me how I can sub reg canned pumpkin to puree in many recipes
    Thanks

Canned pumpkin and "pumpkin puree" are the same thing. What you DON'T want to use is "pumpkin pie filling", which is a different product altogether.

My canned pumpkin says "100% pumpkin" on the label -- no spices or other flavorings listed.

What she said. I have only seen canned pumpkin labelled just that way -- never puree, but never in cubes or slices or anything either. That's what you want. Pumpkin Pie Mix is seasoned, sweetened and much thinner.

I've always thought pumpkin puree was the homeade version of canned pumpkin. I like to make pumpkin puree from the pumpkin/squash from my garden. Just halve the squash, clean out the middle, bake until the flesh is tender, scoop it out, and puree. The only differences are that it is a slightly lighter color and different texture, depending how well you puree it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimeea
    I've always thought pumpkin puree was the homeade version of canned pumpkin.
    Well, yes and no. In my experience, you can freely substitute homemade and canned pumpkin puree for one another. But you frequently have to drain the homemade so it's not watery and loose, or your finished product could be way off.

loreneg did ask about using canned pumpkin in recipes calling for "pumpkin puree", so that's the reason I answered as I did.