Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiotic question re: baked brie

Idiotic question re: baked brie

I've never done baked brie before (or even seen it done) and I want to have this at a party. What do I serve alongside? Crackers? Bread? Fruit?
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

I'd say crackers and fruit, What type of brie are you doing?
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by patissac
    I'd say crackers and fruit, What type of brie are you doing?
    Heh, heh....type of brie? There are types? Good lord I'm really letting my un-gourmet banner fly on this one.
    I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not sick, not wounded - dead. ~Woody Allen

I like baguette slices with it. Many people also serve some sort of jam/chutney with it.
    <)>>< Candace ><<)>

Trish, you can bake brie in puff pastry or plain. Paula Deen put a brown sugar & nut topping on it that looked yummy too. Apples, crackers & toasted baguettes all sound good.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

My favorite way to do baked brie is to roll out a sheet of puff pastry, spread some preserves in the middle to cover a spot the size of the brie, plop the brie on top, and wrap it up. I have used different types of preserves but my favorites are a sweet/spicy combination, such as a raspberry chipotle sauce (which I keep on hand for these types of recipes now, because it's so good!). I bake that on a cookie sheet in a preheated oven at 400 for 20 minutes, then let it sit for about 30 minutes before serving so the brie doesn't goosh out when you cut into it. I usually serve with crackers on the side.
    "Men are like a fine wine. They all start out like grapes, and
    it's our job to stomp on them and keep them in the dark until they
    mature into something which you'd like to have to dinner."

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyntototoo
    Trish, you can bake brie in puff pastry or plain. Paula Deen put a brown sugar & nut topping on it that looked yummy too. Apples, crackers & toasted baguettes all sound good.
    All I've ever seen is in puff pastry. If you bake it plain do you put it in a crock or something to keep it from melting all over the place? Is this what was meant by "what type of brie?" because that would make me feel a lot better to know I'm not a complete moron! I just thought brie was brie!

I like red grapes with baked brie. They look nice, and the flavor seems to go really well with brie. The apples would be good too, but harder to keep looking nice at a party, unless you are having people cut them themselves.

I used to place the cheese on a thin bed of brown sugar on a baking dish and put in 300F oven just until soft but not totally runny and served with crostini and roasted garlic.

I'm for simple baked brie:

I get a wheel of plain old brie (I've seen wheels as small as 4 inches and as large as 16 inches, but I like somewhere in between - like 7").

Then I roll out a sheet of puff pastry and place the brie in the middle of it. Fold all the edges in, trim if there's too much overlap, and seal with some water on my finger.

Then I flip the brie-in-pastry into a baking pan of some kind - I've used fancy pie plates and plain glass or metal ones. A glass one slightly larger than the brie-in-pastry works well and if it does ooze it will catch that.

If I have leftover pieces of puff pastry dough I'll fashion "leaves" or some other strange-looking decorative stuff and place on the top. Bake at 375 until the pastry is golden. Take out of oven and let cool for 20 minutes or so.

I've served with crackers, cut up apple or pear, grapes, or sliced baguette.

HTH!
    There cannot be a crisis today. My schedule is already full.
    -Henry Kissinger

Brie En Croute

Here's Paula Deen's recipe which will give you the technique & baking info. You could use jam instead of the brown sugar. It was beautiful the way she formed the pastry.

Brie En Croute
    Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

1 sheet frozen puff pastry, pre-packaged
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1/2 cup walnuts
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 (8-ounce) wheel Brie
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    Crackers, for serving

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
    Defrost puff pastry for approximately 15 to 20 minutes and unfold.

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the walnuts in the butter until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Add the cinnamon and stir until walnuts are coated well. Place the walnut mixture on top of the Brie and sprinkle the brown sugar over the mixture. Lay the puff pastry out on a flat surface. Place the brie in the center of the pastry. Gather up the edges of the brie, pressing around the brie and gather at the top. Gently squeeze together the excess dough and tie together with a piece of kitchen twine. Brush the beaten egg over top and side of Brie. Place Brie on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes until pastry is golden brown.

Serve with crackers.

To see picture http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._20962,00.html
    Dorothy aka Martha

Paula Deen's sounds fantastic, and nothing gets me hungry like a picture of gooey melty cheese. I think we have a winner. In order to keep apple slices fresh I can just toss them in lemon juice, can't I? Or is that a myth? Can you do the same with pears?

I would recommend lining the pan you bake it in. It is a nightmare to get cold dried baked on brie off of a pan. DH told me never to make it again the last time I asked him to wash the pan.
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

It's good in a bread bowl too. just cut it up into pieces and melt in the oven. Yummy.

trish -- Tossing apple and pear slices in lemon juice does keep them fresh, but you'll probably want to sub some fresh-cut if/when the ones on the platter start to look tired. I find that tossing in orange juice or lemon-lime soda (7-Up, for me) works well too and doesn't make the fruit too astringent.

Cafe Pasqual's in Santa Fe serves baked brie (no puff pastry) with slices of baguette and green chile sauce on the side. I don't think there's really a way to go wrong with baked brie.

We also like baked brie

with honey drizzled/poured (depending on how much you like honey) and sliced almonds. I've had this both baked in phyllo (sp?) dough and plain.

Here is another great brie recipe, originally posted by schuh:

Brie with Caramelized Onions, Pistachio and Cranberry

2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
    1 medium onion, cut into fourths and thinly sliced
    cup dried cranberries
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    Vegetable oil or cooking spray
    1 round (15 ounces) brie
    cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts, slivered almonds, or walnuts
    Crackers and/or sliced Italian bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in butter for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cranberries, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened, brown, and caramelized.

Lightly brush oven-proof plate with oil (or spray with cooking spray) and place cheese in the center. (I used a Pyrex pie plate. I also scraped some of the top of the rind off the cheese.) Bake uncovered 8 to 10 minutes (it took mine longer) or until cheese is soft and partly melted. Spoon onion topping over cheese. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve with crackers.

Serves 8 10 (although I served it to 12 and had some left over).

Note: I made the onion mixture in advance and reheated in the micro. I also spooned it over the brie after it had been cooked for 10 minutes and put it in the oven for 3 minutes or so.

From Betty Crocker's cookbook
    Wag more...bark less...

Quote Originally Posted by krispy spo
    Here is another great brie recipe, originally posted by schuh:

Brie with Caramelized Onions, Pistachio and Cranberry

2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
    1 medium onion, cut into fourths and thinly sliced
    cup dried cranberries
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    Vegetable oil or cooking spray
    1 round (15 ounces) brie
    cup coarsely chopped pistachio nuts, slivered almonds, or walnuts
    Crackers and/or sliced Italian bread

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook onion in butter for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cranberries, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened, brown, and caramelized.

Lightly brush oven-proof plate with oil (or spray with cooking spray) and place cheese in the center. (I used a Pyrex pie plate. I also scraped some of the top of the rind off the cheese.) Bake uncovered 8 to 10 minutes (it took mine longer) or until cheese is soft and partly melted. Spoon onion topping over cheese. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve with crackers.

Serves 8 10 (although I served it to 12 and had some left over).

Note: I made the onion mixture in advance and reheated in the micro. I also spooned it over the brie after it had been cooked for 10 minutes and put it in the oven for 3 minutes or so.

From Betty Crocker's cookbook
    Oh Boy! Another cranberry recipe. Sounds great.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Quote Originally Posted by mariposa
    My favorite way to do baked brie is to roll out a sheet of puff pastry, spread some preserves in the middle to cover a spot the size of the brie, plop the brie on top, and wrap it up. I have used different types of preserves but my favorites are a sweet/spicy combination, such as a raspberry chipotle sauce (which I keep on hand for these types of recipes now, because it's so good!). I bake that on a cookie sheet in a preheated oven at 400 for 20 minutes, then let it sit for about 30 minutes before serving so the brie doesn't goosh out when you cut into it. I usually serve with crackers on the side.
    Ditto, except I use a Morello Cherry Jam that is not as sweet as regular jams ( I find it in the International Aisle at Meijer.). Everyone asks me to make this for parties and other events. I think my friends would riot if I had a party without it. I serve with Table Water Crackers and grapes. I think that the grapes go really well with the Brie. I get the smallish baby brie wheel at Costco. A friend tried to make it per my instructions but got some other type of Brie that had a harder rind and she couldn't get the cheese to melt.

Lisa

Yahoo, I just found out that Christmas/Hannukah/nephew's birthday dinner will be at my sister's house instead of her ILs. My brother-in-law is a terrific cook. I was assigned to bring assorted cheeses and crackers. I think I'm going to hit the gourmet store and get some terrific cheeses.

I'm not sure if they have wheels of Brie there. They have many different varieties of brie but I'm not sure if I've ever seen wheels. I know they used to carry a wheel of brie already wrapped in puff pastry, but I'm sure that's not as good. The puffed pastry part scares me since I've never used it before but the recipes that have been posted sound terrific. I hope I can find a wheel. I can try Whole Foods but the cheese section at A Southern Season is terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Canice
    I used to place the cheese on a thin bed of brown sugar on a baking dish and put in 300F oven just until soft but not totally runny and served with crostini and roasted garlic.
    This sounds really good too. Of course it all depends on whether I can get the right form of brie. MMMMM.

I have done baked brie with diced peppers, red onions, garlic and a little olive oil. Mix up the veggies, put it on the wedge of brie and bake it for about 15 min. Yuuuuuummmmmy!

Trish-- Apples won't turn brown if you dip them in pineapple juice. It isn't as strong of a flavor as lemon, and works just as well.

Good luck with the brie!! I'll bet this becomes something you will do frequently, because it is easy, very impressive, and sooooooooooo good!

Write your hurts in sand, carve your blessings in stone.

The puffed pastry part scares me since I've never used it before but the recipes that have been posted sound terrific.
    Puff pastry is REALLY easy to work with. I buy the pepperidge farm brand, which is sold frozen in the section with the phyllo dough. Let it defrost, then just unroll it and wrap the brie up with any sauce you might be using. It is just one piece, not multiple layers like phyllo. It looks so elegant and impressive, but in reality it is ridiculously easy to use.

Puff pastry is REALLY easy to work with. I buy the pepperidge farm brand, which is sold frozen in the section with the phyllo dough. Let it defrost, then just unroll it and wrap the brie up with any sauce you might be using. It is just one piece, not multiple layers like phyllo. It looks so elegant and impressive, but in reality it is ridiculously easy to use.
    Ok, I think you've convinced me. Thanks for confirming that the "rolling out" of the pastry dough is actually unrolling the dough and doesn't involve a rolling pin . I'm going to give this a try if I can get the right brie.

Whole Foods also had a jar of some sort of fig sauce that was really good. They served it over a wheel of some sort of cheese. I'm going to go take a look at that too.

Beth

Thanks for confirming that the "rolling out" of the pastry dough is actually unrolling the dough and doesn't involve a rolling pin .
    Sometimes when you unroll the puff pastry there will be creases where it was folded (it's actually folded up, not rolled, in the package), so you may want to go over that with a rolling pin (or just smoosh it together with your fingers) so there are no holes for the sauce or cheese to bubble through. Some recipes do call for rolling it out with a rolling pin so that the puff pastry sheet is larger and thinner, but I find that it is not necessary with baked brie because there is more than enough of the puff pastry sheet to wrap around the brie.

The fig sauce sounds like it would be WONDERFUL with the brie!

Sometimes when you unroll the puff pastry there will be creases where it was folded (it's actually folded up, not rolled, in the package), so you may want to go over that with a rolling pin (or just smoosh it together with your fingers) so there are no holes for the sauce or cheese to bubble through. Some recipes do call for rolling it out with a rolling pin so that the puff pastry sheet is larger and thinner, but I find that it is not necessary with baked brie because there is more than enough of the puff pastry sheet to wrap around the brie.

The fig sauce sounds like it would be WONDERFUL with the brie!

Ok, I can do smoothing with a rolling pin. At least I should be able to. We do clay work a few times a week in my Head Start class.

I have a dumb question. Do you remove the rind from the Brie or leave it on?
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith
    I have a dumb question. Do you remove the rind from the Brie or leave it on?
    Not a dumb question at all... the rind is edible, so I leave it on.
    I happen to LOVE the flavor it imparts.

That said, I know others who don't like the flavor of the rind, so they shave it off.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens