Community Message Boards

Thread: My Menu for 'Twas the Night Before the Night Before Christmas Party

My Menu for 'Twas the Night Before the Night Before Christmas Party

Okay....so I've finally decided on my menu. Nothing fancy because I don't have time this year with working right up until 6 hours before party time, but tell me what you think....

Buffalo Chicken Dip
    Sausage Balls
    Dried Beef Cheeseball
    Boiled Shrimp / Cocktail Sauce
    Assorted Christmas Cookies
    Tuxedo Brownie Bites
    Tree Shaped PB & Js for the kids
    Veggie TRay ( done on a foam tree form !
    Fruit Kabobs
    Miniature Vegetable Quiches
    Peanut Butter Candied Popcorn
    Lemonade Cheesecake Ball
    Jalapeno Pepper Jelly over cream cheese
    Meatballs
    Spinach Balls

I know there are a lot of "balls" but they're easy!!! Anything sound ghastly or like it should be removed or replaced???
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

YUM! These are the best kind of parties to get an invite to....sounds like fun with lots of fun food to graze on all night! What are the peanut butter candied popcorn and lemonade cheesecake ball like? Those sound yummy!

Your menu sounds great and I know what you mean about all the "balls" but I wouldn't care. It make it so much easier on your guests, too.

Good luck with it and have a wonderful time yourself!
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd1103
    YUM! These are the best kind of parties to get an invite to....sounds like fun with lots of fun food to graze on all night! What are the peanut butter candied popcorn and lemonade cheesecake ball like? Those sound yummy!
    The peanut butter candied popcorn is popcorn, peanuts, pretzels and m&Ms that have been coated with an almond bark / peanut butter mixture - sweet, peanutty and addictive!!!

The cheesecake ball is something a good friend is contributing - they're a mix she gets from Homemade Gourmet - you cna make a cheesecake or make a ball that you serve with graham cracker sticks for dipping. The Lemonade one, I thought, would be a nice contrast to the savory things already on the plan!
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Terri, I'm sold on the popcorn can you tell me do I just simply melt the almond bark and mix in some PB in it? It sounds easy....
    I love cooking with wine sometimes I even put it in the food.

Your menu sounds fabulous and what a cute idea for a party!
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

The popcorn recipe can be found in this thread http://community.cookinglight.com/sh...ad.php?t=83039

Zackaboo - the party started out 6 years ago...there's nothing to do on the 23rd. All of our friends who moved away always came home for Christmas so we figured...we'd throw a party. Since I'm a big geek, I write this whole poem for the invitation that starts out "'Twas the Night Before the Night Before Christmas...". Here's the text of this year's poem...

'Twas the Night Before the Night Before Christmas and for year number 6,
    Terri and Sabrina want photos with St. Nick!
    Our stockings are hung with no chimney, that's true,
    But we hope that our holidays, we will share with you!

So join us for smiles, for laughs and for fun -
    This year will it be snow? Or will it be sun?
    The drinks will be flowing, the food yummy and hot-
    And Santa will stop by to greet every tot!

We look forward to seeing the regular crew,
    But we especially welcome those who are new-
    For the Night Before the Night Before Christmas each year
    We love to see friends and spread holiday cheer!

This year it's a Friday and starts at 6:30,
    And Santa, for the kids, will visit us early.
    And just so we know what shining faces we'll see,
    Please be a dear and RSVP!
    Terri _A

Cute poem!

Love the invite --- and the food sounds great. And what a great way to enjoy spending time with your friends.

Enjoy!

If I was one of your friends who moved away, I would look forward to coming back just for the party. What a great poem and a fabulous idea! Hope your party is a big success.
    The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by zackaboo
    If I was one of your friends who moved away, I would look forward to coming back just for the party. What a great poem and a fabulous idea! Hope your party is a big success.
    If you're ever in Houston on the 23rd of December....my feeling is (as long as it's not laundry) the more the merrier!!!
    Terri _A

So fun!!! Your menu sounds great. LOVE the christmas tree PB & Js for the kids! Have a wonderful time.

Sorry I had to send my regrets... sounds like a great fun, and we can try again next year. My kids were begging me to change my mind, but I'm still not feeling up to snuff and the foot through the ceiling last night just put me over the top. Didn't even mention that I will probably still be knitting a scarf for my sister.

Beth, I think with the week you've had...you're forgiven!!! I cannot believe you are now going to knit a scarf! We will miss having you, but I will report in on Saturday and let you all know how the festivities went. The weather is supposed to be GREAT!!! So, Santa has been assigned outdoor duty and it'll be warm enough I can do some food outside, some inside and hopefully entice the children to play outside all evening! Cross your fingers for me!!! I hope you're feeling better!
    Terri _A

That sounds like my kind of party. Great idea for a theme & timing. The food sounds great. With the time of day you're having it, it's wise to serve some heavier choices like the chicken wing dip & meatballs.

I too would love to see the recipe for the peanut butter candied popcorn.

Have fun!

Hey Terri - your party sounds awesome. I love the poem. I'm curious, is there a recipe for the buffalo chicken dip? If so, would you mind posting? TIA!! And have a great time at the party!!
    It's 5:00 Somewhere!!!!
    Well behaved women rarely make history!

Here are the two requested recipes....

Mom's Candied Popcorn

8 cups popcorn ( air popped is best )
    2 cups rice krispies
    1 can peanuts
    1 pound almond bark (white)
    2 tablespoons peanut butter
    pretzels ( optional )
    M&Ms ( optional )

1. Melt the almond bark in the microwave for 1 minute, stir, then 30 seconds at a time until completely melted, stirring as you go.

2. Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter to the almond bark and stir well.

3. Mix the popcorn and other dry ingredients in a large bowl and then pour the almond bark mix on the popcorn, mixing the coating evenly among the popcorn.

4. Spread the popcorn out on waxed paper to dry. Break up the popcorn and seal in airtight containers.

Bonnie's Buffalo Chicken Dip
    from CLBB

BONNIE'S BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, (about 2 pounds), boiled, drained & shredded with 2 forks (I love using my crockpot for this step; the meat easily shreds...you don't want chunks)

1 - 12 ounce bottle of Frank's Hot Sauce (try to get this brand only, Crystal is so-so but do NOT use Tabasco)
    2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese
    1 - 16 ounce bottle of Ranch dressing
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    8 ounces shredded Monterey Jack or sharp Cheddar cheese or combo thereof

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9x2 inch baking pan, combine the shredded chicken meat with entire bottle of Frank's hot sauce, spreading to form an even layer.In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream cheese with entire bottle of Ranch dressing, stirring til smooth & hot.Pour this mixture evenly over the chicken mixture to form a 2nd layer. Sprinkle celery
    over top. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, then sprinkle cheese over top and bake uncovered for another 15 or 20 minutes til hot & bubbly; you don't want the top to get browned or it will be hard. Let stand 10 minutes before serving hot/warm with celery sticks and/or any sturdy dipping chip like Tostito Golds.
    Terri _A

Quote Originally Posted by Terri_A
    If you're ever in Houston on the 23rd of December....my feeling is (as long as it's not laundry) the more the merrier!!!
    What a sweet invitation! Maybe one day...I have a sister and brother-in-law in Shreveport and his family (who we are close to) is in Texas, so who knows!

Party = success
    Food = good
    Booze = gone

Photos to follow when I can keep my eyelids open....
    Terri _A