Community Message Boards

Thread: Shortbread cookie recipe comparison

Shortbread cookie recipe comparison

I made 3 different shortbread cookie recipes yesterday and today. I did a taste test with different family members and the Benson's Corn Starch recipe was the unanimous winner. So I thought I would post about it in case someone else is looking for a really good shortbread cookie recipe.

The first recipe was really hard to work with and not really sweet enough even though I increased the amount of sugar as suggested by Val. The second recipe took much much longer to bake than the recipe stated, and even after baking them for twice as long as called for and increasing the temperature along the way, you could still taste the flour in them. The third recipe is the one I have been making for years. It is easy to work with and makes a nice shortbread that almost melts in your mouth. Everyone in my family liked that one best.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Simply the Best Short Bread

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies and balls Val's favourites

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 c butter -- softened
    3 tbsps cornstarch
    1/4 c powdered sugar
    1 3/4 c all-purpose flour

In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy: gradually beat in cornstarch, then sugar. With a wooden spoon, beat in the flour, about 1/4cup at a time.

On a lightly floured surface or pastry cloth, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using floured fluted 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Place on waxed paperlined trays;***** each cookie 3 times with a fork. Freeze until firm ( Shortbread can be prepared to this point, transferred to freezer bags and stored in the freezer for up to a month.)

Place frozen rounds on baking sheet; bake in 275 deg. oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until firm to the touch. remove from baking sheet and let cool on racks. (Shortbread can be stored in airtight containers for up to 2 weeks). makes 24 cookies.

Source:
    "Canadian Living Christmas Book"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://bbs.reimanpub.com/bulletinboard.asp?view=reply&replynum=12&threadnum =560877&catnum=68&headnum=2"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Val's NOTES : These are really buttery, melt-in-your mouth cookies. maybe use 1/3 c powdered sugar next time.
    I only had a 3-inch cutter, so I only got 15 cookies.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0

Shortbread (simply the BEST)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies and balls

1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 cup unsalted butter
    2 cups flour

Mix and put in an ungreased round piepan or cakepan and bake at 250 F. for 10 to 15 min. Almost immediately upon taking it out to cool, cut as you like and leave to cool completely.

S(Internet Address):
    "http://community.cookinglight.com/showthread.php?t=51415&highlight=shortbread"

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0

Shortbread (Benson's Corn Starch)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Cookies and balls

1/2 cup Benson's corn starch
    1/2 cup icing sugar
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup butter -- softened

Sift together first 3 ingredients. With wooden spoon, blend in butter, mixing until soft, smooth dough forms. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. If dough is too soft to handle, cover and chill 30-60 minutes. Place 1-1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet; flatten with lightly floured fork. Alternately, roll dough to 1/4 inch; cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Decorate with candied cherries, coloured sprinkles or nuts if desired Bake in 300F oven 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire rach. Makes about 24 cookies.

Description:
    "From back of box Benson's Corn Starch"
    S(Internet Address):
    "http://casco.ca/web/cascoweb.nsf/310c266bdfc2994985256ca30070807d/20a4273747ccfae985256d60004ccc9a?OpenDocument"

NOTES : Crescents: Add 1/2 cup (125ml) ground almonds or hazelnuts to flour mixture. Shape into logs about 1/2 inch thick and 3 inches long. Twist into crescent shapes. When baked and cooled, dip ends in melted chocolate.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0
    newcook

Love shortbread! Thanks for posting.