Community Message Boards

Thread: Ham glaze suggestions

Ham glaze suggestions

Do you use the glaze packet that comes with a store bought, bone in, spiral ham or do you make your own glaze? If anyone has a good recipe for a ham glaze, I would love to see it. We like the glaze that is on the "honey baked ham" brand but I have no idea what is in it. Thanks!

Here's a "clone" recipe for Honey baked ham. We are going to try it this year.

Here's another one from Top Secret Recipes!

TSR has discovered that the tender hams are delivered to each of the 300 HoneyBaked outlets already smoked, but without the glaze. It is only when the ham gets to your local HoneyBaked store that a special machine thin-slices the tender meat in a spiral fashion around the bone. One at a time, each ham is then coated with the glaze - a blend that is similar to what might be used to make pumpkin pie. This sweet coating is then caramelized with a blowtorch by hand until the glaze bubbles and melts, turning golden brown. If needed, more of the coating is added, and the blowtorch is fired up until the glaze is just right. It's this careful process that turns the same size ham that costs 20 dollars in a supermarket into one that customers gladly shell out 3 to 4 times as much to share during the holiday season.

For this clone recipe, we will re-create the glaze that you can apply to a smoked/cooked bone-in ham of your choice. Look for a ham that is pre-sliced. Otherwise you'll have to slice it yourself with a sharp knife, then the glaze will be applied. To get the coating just right you must use a blowtorch. Get the kind that are used for crème brulee from almost any kitchen supply store. They're usually pretty cheap. And don't worry - I didn't leave out an ingredient. No honey is necessary to re-create this favorite holiday glaze. Happy Holidays!!

1 fully cooked shank half ham, bone in (pre-sliced)
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon ground clove
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    dash ground ginger
    dash ground allspice

1. If you couldn't find a pre-sliced ham, the first thing you must do is slice it. Use a very sharp knife to cut the ham into very thin slices around the bone. Do not cut all the way down to the bone or the meat may not hold together properly as it is being glazed. You want the slices to be quite thin, but not so thin that they fall apart or off the bone. You may wish to turn the ham onto its flat end and cut around it starting at the bottom. You can then spin the ham as you slice around and work your way up.
    2. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a small bowl.
    3. Lay down a couple sheets of wax paper onto a flat surface such as your kitchen counter. Pour the sugar mixture onto wax paper and spread it around evenly.
    4. Pick up the ham and roll it over the sugar mixture so that it is well coated. Do not coat the flat end of the ham, just the outer, pre-sliced surface.
    5. Turn the ham onto its flat end on the plate. Use a blowtorch with a medium-size flame to caramelize the sugar. Wave the torch over the sugar with rapid movement, so that the sugar bubbles and browns, but does not burn. Spin the plate so you can torch the entire surface of the ham. Repeat the coating and caramelizing process until the ham has been well glazed (don't expect to use all of the sugar mixture). Serve the ham cold or reheated, just like the real thing.
    Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.

This is the one we're going to try this year.

HONEY-BAKED SPIRAL HAM
    Source: Epicurious

My brother used to work at Honey Baked Ham, and they would get the hams from Hormel, they were pre-baked, and then he would put the brown-sugar and honey glaze over the hams, place them on top of huge oil drums (tops covered with aluminum foil, of course) and they use a butane torch to caramelize the glaze to a crust. I love them, and get one every year for my parents. Here is a close copycat recipe for it from Family Circle Magazine, April, 1995.

1/2 spiral-cut smoked ham (about 7 lbs. fully cooked)
    1/2 cup pear nectar
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup honey

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place ham, cut end down, in a large baking pan.

Mix together pear nectar and orange juice in a bowl; set aside.

Bake ham in a preheated oven for 15 minutes, basting twice with juice mixture.

Mix together brown sugar and honey in a small bowl. Brush mixture over ham.

Bake For about another hour or until internal temperature measures 140 degrees F on an instant Read meat thermometer. Serve immediately.

NOTE: The picture on this Recipe looked exactly like an expensive commercial Honey-baked ham.

Yield: 16 servings

http://www.recipelink.com/gm/14/19715
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

For something a little different, try this recipe that has been a fav on this board. It's awesome!

Fire and Spice Ham

Recipe By :Cooking Light Magazine. December 2002. Page: 108.
    Serving Size : 18 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Meats

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 33%-less-sodium smoked, fully cooked ham
    half (5-1/2-to 6-pound)
    Cooking spray
    1/2 cup red pepper jelly
    1/2 cup pineapple preserves
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions.
    Sweet-hot pepper jelly and tangy pineapple preserves create an easy glaze for the ham.

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Trim fat and rind from ham half. Score outside of ham in a diamond pattern. Place ham on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Combine jelly and remaining ingredients, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Brush about one-third of jelly mixture over ham.

3. Bake at 425 degrees for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees (do not remove ham from oven); bake an additional 45 minutes, basting ham with jelly mixture every 15 minutes. Transfer ham to a serving platter; let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Yield: 18 servings (serving size: about 3 ounces).
    Just another Susan

"Peggy, here I am tryin' to contain an outbreak, and you're drivin' the monkey to the airport!" Hank Hill

www.thebreastcancersite.com Click here to fund free mammograms!

I was also going to suggest the Fire and Spice glaze. Yum!
    my personal chef service: Anastasia's Table Personal Chef Service

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I make a Fire and Spice inspired sauce, but I use crushed pineapple, and puree it, and then cook the sauce down. The pineapple jelly version went all runny on me the only time I tried it, so I've preferred this one.

I routinely keep a jar of the Fire and Spice sauce available in the fridge just as a condiment. Makes it handy to prep a little ham right quick, too.

I'm going to make the Fire and Spice one tomorrow. But...I accidently bought HOT red pepper jelly. I'm either going to exchange it for regular today, or go ahead and use it. It'll make the "Fire" part stand out I bet!

Deb, the Blackberry Mustard glaze from CL 11/05 was excellent also!!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

We really liked the Blackberry-Mustard glaze that Susan mentioned above.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King