Community Message Boards

Thread: Do you tip a maid/house cleaner?

Do you tip a maid/house cleaner?

Trust me when I say that I have never had a maid, mostly because of $$$$, and because I'm afraid I'll become addicted BUT....we are getting ready to sell our house and move to Fort Collins so I can end my 52-mile-each-way commute! I know there is no way for me to stay completly on top of the cleaning with school, and am looking at getting someone to help me out every other week--like merry maids, etc. --which will hopefully help me maintain some sanity!

So my question is: When they quote me a price, do I tip on top of this? And if so, how much?

Any other advice (I know there are many people on these boards that swear by cleaning services , one of the reasons I'm willing to give it a try)?

TIA

PS If you want to see some pics of the garden, kitchen, and climbing wall, it's listed online at http://www.owners.com/Search/ShowLis...DSFL37W40UJSTZ

We have two women who clean our house every other week.

I only tip them at Christmas; otherwise, I pay their rate and I guess they split it.

FYI, the two of them spend about 3.5 hours at my house. They vacuum, dust, clean the bathrooms, wash the hardwood floors, and make the beds if they happen to be unmade I pay them $80 each time they come.

Normally you only tip at Christmas assuming that your cleaning person is someone who comes in on a regular basis -- the same as with any long term service people you employ.

If you are employing somebody on a one-shot basis, a tip might be in order. When I prepped my father's condo for viewing, I hired two women who came in to do everything and I tipped them at the end of the job -- as well as providing them with pizza for lunch.

I have a cleaning lady every other Tuesday. I do not tip her. We have an agreed upon rate and I write her a check for that amount.

At Christmas, I give her a gift card equal to one cleaning.

We have a regular weekly cleaning lady and I give her a small gift Thanksgiving and Christmas (about $25).
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Quote Originally Posted by memartha
    We have two women who clean our house every other week.

I only tip them at Christmas; otherwise, I pay their rate and I guess they split it.

FYI, the two of them spend about 3.5 hours at my house. They vacuum, dust, clean the bathrooms, wash the hardwood floors, and make the beds if they happen to be unmade I pay them $80 each time they come.
    Wow - do you pay them $80 EACH (i.e. $160 a cleaning) or $80 total? If it's $80 total, that is a great bargain in my area. You are getting 7 labor hours for about $11/hour.

In my area, cleaning people get closer to $20-30 an hour.

I tip at Christmas only. I don't know what I would do with a service like Mery Maids, as they would not always send the same people every week, so you don't want to tip randomly!

I pay $80 total. It is a good deal. They haven't raised their rates on me and every year or so I raise their rates for them. They started at $60!

I have used a cleaning service (European Maids) for 3 1/2 years now. They send the same two ladies every other week, and they clean my house (5 bedrooms) top to bottom. I write a check to the cleaning service, which they deliver. For the first year, I didn't tip them. But they are amazing ladies, and they have done so much for me "over and above" their job. I have twin boys, and sometimes I'm scurrying around at the last minute picking up, and they just shoo me away....and pick up boatloads of toys.

After the cleaning service takes their cut, these women don't make much. I started tipping them $5 each about a year ago, and they have expressed their gratitude over and over again. I have really come to love these women, and I so appreciate their help. I'm glad to tip them.

I think tipping on a regular basis is optional, but the one thing I have always done is say thank you and talk to them with respect. It sounds like a small thing, but over the years they have shared with me that a lot of people just ignore them or talk down to them.

Enjoy your clean house! It's worth every penny....

Something I learned when planning my wedding...

If they own the company don't tip. If they don't; tip!

I never tip my maid except at Christmas, or if I have her do a special job for me, although I don't consider that a tip, that's paying her for extra work in my mind. The lady who works for me doesn't work for an agency though, so she gets to keep 100% of what I give her, so that's why I don't tip.

I just tip at Christmas, I give him $100 which is just over the regular $90 fee.
    (Memartha - you seem to be getting a great deal per hour! My cleaner spends about 3.5 hours alone.) He does do the whole house and always asks if there's anything special I need done, and never charges extra except for something major like steam cleaning furniture. I think he's probably making a little more per hour than his average job, the house is a good size but it's just me & DH so there are bedrooms & a shower that never really get used (and I almost ALWAYS have a room closed off for renovations!) , he wouldn't have known this when he quoted.

Mcgeiger, if you can swing it, GO for it! I considered this a huge luxury when I signed up and still do, but it's SO worth the money to me for the fact that I'm not spending my weekends cleaning and more importantly, not arguing with DH who has a higher tolerance of dirt than me! Good luck with your move.