Community Message Boards

Thread: Reheating stew in crockpot?

Reheating stew in crockpot?

I'm making a double batch of Oven-Baked Beef Stew for a church supper tomorrow night. It's cooking now, so I'll refrigerate it until needed tomorrow.

I'd love to bring it to the supper warm, in a crockpot, to help it keep its temperature. Do you think I should reheat it in the pot on the stove, then put it in a crock pot (on LOW or HIGH?), or would you put the cold stew in the crock pot and let it warm up for a few hours in the crockpot?

I can't find my crockpot manual, though I'm pretty sure they advise against reheating food in the crockpot.

Does anyone have experience with this? TIA. Martha

I would reheat on the stove and bring to boiling and then put in the crockpot.

Except for having to wash an additional pot, I don't see any advantage in reheating in a crockpot and there is the potential risk of food poisoning since food is at an unsafe temperature for an extended period of time.

Thank you, Blazedog. That's what I was thinking.

I vote for Option A - warm on the stove & put into crockpot on low to maintain the temperature.
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Quote Originally Posted by dorothyntototoo
    I vote for Option A - warm on the stove & put into crockpot on low to maintain the temperature.
    I agree,
    And guess what's cooking in my crockpot now? Oven Baked Beef Stew! The house smells great!
    Katie

Now, why didn't I just think to MAKE it in the crockpot? Duh.

For future reference, how long do you cook it? Martha

You still have to caramelize the veggies and meat before putting it in the crockpot anyway or the food doesn't taste as well so you are cleaning the same number of pans. Not to mention losing all that delicious fond. It's one of the reasons I replaced my cookware so as to be able to really do all those recipes that start on the stove and end in the oven.

There is a slow cooker on the market which has an "crock" that can be used stovetop and then used in slow cooker mode. I think this would be great.