Community Message Boards

Thread: how to store dates?

how to store dates?

I got some dates from Saudi arabia, two kinds, one is dried and the other is sesame seed coated. How do I store them and for how long these will be okay to use?

TIA.

How 'bout a date?

Date Storage

Deglet Noor and other semisoft varieties store best in the refrigerator, where they will keep for up to eight months if placed in airtight plastic bags or containers. Dates so refrigerated will be protected from the odors of other foods, which they can readily absorb. Even at room temperature, they can be held for a month or more.

Dried dates keep extremely well, since they are often pasteurized to inhibit mold growth. They can stay for up to a year in the refrigerator, or five years in the freezer.

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshel...523,50,00.html
    Dorothy aka Martha

Somewhere over the rainbow...

thanks!

I wondered this too because I got a package of dates at TJ's and never used them for holiday baking. They came in a plastic container with vents, the kind of clear plastic container that supermarket strawberries come in. There was also a plastic seal around where you would open the container that would have to be broken or cut off but the container is clearly open to air in other places. The top of the container says "Refrigerate after opening"

I thought this was funny because there is really not much difference between when it was opened or not!
    Sarah

Maybe tell them to wait patiently because you are in a long term relationship that you will soon get out of.

I lived in Saudi Arabia for 18 years...the dried dates will keep indefinitely without refrigeration (you may have to dust them occasionally ). The sesame coated ones usually have a sugary substance to hold the seeds on so should be (but don't have to be) refrigerated and will also keep nearly forever. Remember, the Bedu had no refrigeration and subsisted on dried dates for long periods of time with no refrigeration and in extreme heat. All dates in the country are treated to remove critters before offered for sale.

Both of these varieties are wonderful stuffed with peanut butter or cream cheese (after removing the seed).

At last! Something I really, really know about!
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Sonja,
    Thanks for sharing your info (although I don't envy you 18 years in Saudi!)
    I had bought some of those dates at TJ's, and refrigerated them as indicated on the container. I put them in a plastic bag, but I think they had already taken on the flavors of other foods while sitting in the refrigerated section at TJ's. In the past I had bought the same kind of dates (Medjool?) elsewhere, and not refrigerated them. I liked the flavor much better in the nonrefrigerated ones.

I've bought the Mejdool at TJ's and just leave them out on the sink or in the cupboard. The "Refrigerate" suggestion is just a CMA for possible airborne stuff.

(P.S. Don't not envy me, we put five kids through college with no college loans. That was worth the trip! )
    Sonja in Southern Maryland

All kids are gifted; some just open their packages earlier than others. -Michael Carr

Maybe tell them to wait patiently because you are in a long term relationship that you will soon get out of.
    Ha! My thoughts exactly....so glad I am not the only one! Okay, I am crawling back into my "unhelpful in responding to the thread but having fun anyway" hole now.
    "I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoying the ride"

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Y
    Ha! My thoughts exactly....so glad I am not the only one! Okay, I am crawling back into my "unhelpful in responding to the thread but having fun anyway" hole now.
    At least you both thought of men. My two unhelpful thoughts were:
    1) in my stomach (I love dates)
    and then as the day progressed and I went into work mode...
    2) in a date formatted field of course (can you tell I'm a programmer )
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?