Community Message Boards

Thread: looking for substitute for cumin

looking for substitute for cumin

I see so many recipes I want to try that has cumin in it but DH cant stand it, it reminds him of that package taco seasoning he just cant stand. I can get away with a tsp or so, but many recipies call for 1-2 TBSP what would you sub? maybe a mixture of something?

TIA

laurie

Laurie - personally I would just cut down the amount if you can get your husband to stomach it at all. I have the same problem with my younger son, but he won't eat it if there is ANY cumin in the recipe.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I would ditto that, but another couple of things to try to sub, (there is no preplacement for cumin's flavor) are ground coriander in half the amount of the cumin called for; or try changing the flavor of the cumin by roasting whole seeds in a dry pan till they smell toasty & look a bit darker. Grind them in a blender, coffee grinder or mortar & pestle while still warm. It's really delicious, and very different than unroasted cumin. Use less than you would of plain cumin, it's flavor is big and deep.

Inconceivable!

No help here. It's just that it's Friday, and, well, 'inconceivable' somehow seems like an appropriate response. Sorry. I can't imaging someone not liking cumin.

Lightbulb try this site...

www.foodsubs.com says to use caraway seeds, anise seeds or chili powder. I would think coriander would be a good sub too.
    Interestingly at the site, they recommend cumin as a sub for coriander, but not coriander for cumin! Go figure. I think coriander is a good sub for cumin but it doesn't have the smoky quality cumin has.

Cumin is almost always one of the ingredients of chili powder.

I think some of it is the aroma of it too. there have been times i have used small amounts and he doesnt seem to notice. Its when he can smell it, and he says "What are you making, I can smell that cumodin, you know how I hate that! " I say, dear cumodin is a blood thinner, its CUMIN. I will try a few of your recommondations and look at the recipe and if its not a dish where he can smell it, I will use a small amount and add some coriander. A good idea of the seeds, I think they have a different aroma, I have used those before I dont think he has said anything.

"Sorry. I can't imaging someone not liking cumin."

People say that about me and fresh tomatoes, which I find the most disgusting tasting thing out there

Laurie

Check Penzey's Chili Powder ingredients. http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ml?id=c3WIeLZc

"Hand-mixed from: Ancho chili pepper; red pepper; cumin, crushed red pepper, garlic and Mexican oregano."

McCormick's Taco Seasoning ingredient list: Chili Pepper; Cumin; Oregano; Red pepper; Onion; Garlic; Salt; Sugar; Paprika + preservatives, and high sodium content.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurielee
    People say that about me and fresh tomatoes, which I find the most disgusting tasting thing out there

Laurie
    Yup, you guys are odd balls for sure. Now if you would have said plain steamed rice, or corn (especially on the cob), or liver, or okra it would be totally understandable.