Community Message Boards

Thread: removing wax from granite counter ... help!

removing wax from granite counter ... help!

We had a belated family Hanukkah dinner yesterday, and even though the holiday has ended, we lit the menorah. I neglected to put something underneath and my dripless candles dripped! I gently scraped off excess wax, but I now have a waxy film on the counter. I'm hesitant to use a gritty cleaner. Any suggestions? TIA!

I think it's pretty hard to scratch granite. With wax, you have 2 choices, go cold, so you can pry up big pieces (sounds like you've already done that) or hot to dissolve it.

I would try hot water and dish liquid on a teflon type scrubbie. Keep rinsing and rewashing. Eventually the wax should be melted away.

I have never tried something like Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami on my counters, but they are supposed to be pretty mild too.

No Bar Keepers Friend! You might scratch the sealer. My husband ruined the sealer on our granite island countertop. He thought you could scrub the surface with Bar Keepers Friend. I was furious, and it took a year to convince him of his error. I never resealed it because the countertop was so small--3'x5'.

If no one here has a good answer, I'd call a kitchen showroom or a stone shop on Monday.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I would do what you can to lift off the was, then the hot water to nmelt off residue, and if there is still a residue or film, you can either dry buff it or if it is heavier than that will deal with, GooGone is supposed to take off wax. I've never used it foir that, but the bottle says it removes candle wax and it will not scratch your sealer. I woul carefully clean the GooGone off so that none of it sits on the countertop just in case it could soften the sealant if it sits there. I don't think it will, but if it did, the oilyness of the googone could mark your stone, so why take the chance?

I don't know anything about granite countertops, but I do know about wax and candles (I make my own)......

I think that your best bet would be a citrus cleaner like goo gone. I have some spray labeled as candle mold cleaner and it is just basically a citrus cleaner in a spray can. It works really well. Obviously with your counter top situation you need to call the manufacturer before you use it to see if it is safe. If it is, it will take the wax off with a minimal amount of elbow grease

Lorena

Thanks all for your tips. I had success! I used warm water, and a non-abrasive cleaner, with a "scrubbie" sponge. I made sure to rinse it with water really well. The granite is fine. Thanks again for all your help!

I know you had success, but next time try using an iron set on medium heat. Put a paper towel between the iron and the wax you are trying to remove. The iron will melt the wax and it will be quickly absorbed into the paper towl. Keep using a clean area of the paper towel and don't let too much heat build up.

This is also the accepted way to remove wax from carpet and cloth furniture.

When the counter top guys came to install the island in my kitchen, they used a straight edged razor to clean up all the little bits of dirt before they sealed it. I did the same thing as Lauren (probably worse) and melted wax all over everywhere during Chanukkah. The straight edged razor blade worked perfectly and didn't scratch anything. And it only took a few minutes...

Glad you had success removing the wax. I wish they made Chanukah candles out of soy wax; when there's a drip or spill, plain soap and water cleans it up. I now only buy soy candles for this reason (and always put a dish under my menorah!).
    Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

I had two menorahs out and I put a dish under one of them and boy was *that* hard to get clean! I actually did better with the countertops. Go figure.
    And you're right, it would be nice if someone would make some out of soy, or something, anything dripless.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi R
    I had two menorahs out and I put a dish under one of them and boy was *that* hard to get clean! I actually did better with the countertops. Go figure.
    And you're right, it would be nice if someone would make some out of soy, or something, anything dripless.

Someone does. Oil candles are made to eliminate the problem of dripping wax discussed in this thread. Oil candles are made in many shapes and sizes. Some are even made to look exactly like wax candles. Click on the link below to see just one of the manufacturers that makes these waxless candles.

http://www.firelight.com/

That's cool! You did it! Congratulations
    Chat with me on person.com

I had my candle warmer on and accidentally the container with already melted candle went on my granite. ( & hand). I used warm /hot water in a microfiber cloth to remove most of it then my nail to remove some. It allcame out. But DH has used razor blades on the stove and that has worked great (a smooth top). By the way don't use any citrus cleaner on your granite it is not good for the sealer.