Community Message Boards

Thread: Tapioca: problems making

Tapioca: problems making

I love tapioca pudding. I've tried to make it several times over the years & it never sets up... just stays liquidy. I was craving it last night & so bought 2% (we drink skim) & tried again using the 2% milk (which the the box says you can use)... ended up pouring it down the drain 'cause I didn't want to drink my pudding. So today I went out & bought whole milk & tried again.... it's better.... but still quite runny. I have followed the instructions exactly! And yes, it came to a full boil & I let it cool & then refridgerated.
    What am I doing wrong??

What do those of you that make this use?? How does yours turn out?
    I have the red box of kraft quick cooking minute tapioca.

I refuse to buy it premade. Not only do they all have ingredients I will not ingest... it is now the principle of the thing!

I've never made instant tapioca, but we love making homemade tapioca from the tapioca pearls. It's labor intensive -- you have to soak the pearls, cook them in a double boiler, etc -- but well worth the effort! Comes out perfectly every time!

Since your tapioca is consistently runny, have you tried using less milk to make it?

What about adding egg?
    Laurie

i adore it, too... my question would be, is your experience with homemade, or store-bought/restaurant, which usually has stabilizers. i'm trying to remember the consistency of my g-grandmother's, but i do know it wasn't as "tight" or "firm" as, say, rice pudding. ...i have the recipe here somewhere, lemme go check....
    What one understands is only half true. What one does not understand is the full truth. ~ Zen saying

breadmama: I do add an egg as the instructions say to.

foodlady: I use the amount of milk the recipe on the box calls for. Since I always expect it come out fine... I have not tampered w/ the ratios!
    I think I'll just go find the old fashioned type. Time & effort don't phase me if the outcome is worth it!

What type of milk do you use w/ the old fashioned type?

Thank you both for your replies!

Here's a tapioca pudding recipe that I love. It's kinda sinful, so I only make it occasionally! I've never had a problem with it being runny. Good luck!

Creamy Tapioca Pudding

6 tbsp Minute Tapioca
    2 large eggs, well beaten
    5 cups milk plus 1 empty can milk
    1 can sweetened, cond. Milk
    3 tsp vanilla
    1/8 tsp salt
    pinch cinnamon

In large, heavy pan beat two large eggs (or three med eggs). Add tapioca, can of sweetened , cond milk, 5 cups milk and add empty can filled with milk, salt, and pinch of cinnamon. Place on medium heat. Heat until just boiling, stirring often-constantly near end. Remove from heat, add vanilla and stir well. Secret of creamy pudding is to continue to stir pudding as it cools. Stir every 15 minutes until cool/room temperature.
    Pudding eaten still warm will taste sweeter than after sits a while in refrigerator. Best eaten cold with spot of cool whip. Makes a double batch from box recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by rosen
    breadmama: I do add an egg as the instructions say to.

foodlady: I use the amount of milk the recipe on the box calls for. Since I always expect it come out fine... I have not tampered w/ the ratios!
    I think I'll just go find the old fashioned type. Time & effort don't phase me if the outcome is worth it!

What type of milk do you use w/ the old fashioned type?

Thank you both for your replies!

You will LOVE the old fashioned stuff! We use whole milk and just follow the recipe on the tapioca package. Keep us posted on how it turns out!