Community Message Boards

Thread: Rev: Skillet Fillets with Cilantro Butter

Thumbs up Rev: Skillet Fillets with Cilantro Butter

Haven't seen a review for this one yet. We made this tonight and DH can't stop talking about the meal! I used frozen Mahi Mahi filets from Costco and they were excellent. A very easy & delicious meal that I will def. make again. We served it with the Tomato and Bean Bruchetta also from CL Jan '06. The bruchetta was also very good, although I'm partial to traditional bruchetta.

Skillet Fillets with Cilantro Butter

Substitute any mild white fish such as cod, flounder, or orange roughy for the tilapia. Serve with sautťed spinach and additional lemon wedges. Grate the rind before squeezing the lemon for easier preparation.

1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    4 (6-ounce) tilapia fillets
    Cooking spray
    1 lemon, quartered
    2 tablespoons butter, softened
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1/4 teaspoon paprika
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Combine first 3 ingredients; sprinkle over both sides of fish. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Coat both sides of fish with cooking spray; place in pan. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Place fish on a serving platter; squeeze lemon quarters over fish.
    Place butter and remaining ingredients in a small bowl; stir until well blended. Serve with fish.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and about 2 teaspoons cilantro butter)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 194(32% from fat); FAT 6.9g (sat 3.1g,mono 2.5g,poly 0.6g); PROTEIN 30.5g; CHOLESTEROL 88mg; CALCIUM 32mg; SODIUM 354mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 0.7mg; CARBOHYDRATE 1.2g

Nancy Hughes
    Cooking Light, JANUARY 2006
    www.laurengdesigns.com
    {personalized stationery}

Darm, I wish I'd seen this before dinner! I had tilapia fillets and I just baked them with lemon and spices. . . this would have been fun to try!

Thumbs up

Another vote for the Skillet Fillets! I had this for dinner tonight and it was fantastic!

I made this last night as well and it was fabulous. I served it with a broccolini recipe from Everyday Food (I believe it was broccolini with balsamic orange sauce???).

The only thing I would change with the fish would be to use a touch more lemon rind.

This looks great. Quick and probably stupid question, with the softened butter mixture, I'm assuming you just put a little dab on the fillets while they're hot so it melts on top?
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.

-Grandma Moses

I put a teaspoon or so on each fillet before I removed them from the pan. Kind of spreading it around so it melted between the flakes. I was afraid I wouldn't want to bite into a cold piece of butter. So, yes, I let mine melt.

I'm not a big cilantro fan. Do you think it would work with another fresh, leafy herb? Basil, maybe?

This was scrumptious. The butter sauce was amazing, and I must admit, I didn't stick to the serving size. I also put the butter on when the fish was still in the pan. This is my first experience with tilapia fillets, they are a very tasty mild fish. My grocery store had them on sale for $3.99 a pound which seemed really good, although I've never priced it before!

I made this last night and thought is was fabulous like everyone else. I'm not a huge fan of cilantro, but it was the perfect blend of flavors. My 11 month old son could not get enough!! And, much to my surprise, I even had a smidge of butter left over. I served it up with tomato and lentil couscous, and roasted zucchini. An excellent meal on the table in 15 mins.

Another thumbs up, way up!!! I might use a little more lemon zest next time. This is now in a tie with the Tilapia w/Lemon Peppercorn Sauce for my favorite tilapia recipe. My very picky almost-3 year old even liked it.
    Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be.

-Grandma Moses

This was a winner at our house tonight as well. It was so easy and had great flavor. We served it with some sauteed spinach and jasmine rice. I have a feeling we will be making this many more times. Who knew so little work would impart such great flavor.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

One more vote for this dish-so easy and tasty. I served it with sneezle's Orzo with Spinach and Roasted Red Peppers

I have swordfish in the freezer. Do you all think I could use it?

Quote Originally Posted by lsdesign
    I have swordfish in the freezer. Do you all think I could use it?
    I don't see why not. It would take longer to cook but I don't think the flavors would conflict. Let us know if you try it!
    Stacy

DH LOVED this when we had it the other night. I used tilapia. This recipe is a keeper!

Talking

Thanks for the post! I've been eyeing this up and have a few talapie fillets in the freezer I would like to use (I think they've been in there for 1-1/2 months!). I'll be making this on Saturday!

Thumbs up

I made this Friday night and it was so easy to put together and tasted really good. I'm not a huge fan of lemon so I used a lime instead which I thought would go much better with the cilantro and it was yummy. I did use more red pepper by accident...got a little carried away with the 1/4 tsp spoon!

I think this would be great with ANY fish. I bet it would even taste good with sauteed or grilled shrimp. I think it'll be a repeater!

Thumbs Up!

We really liked this one too- so tasty and easy. I had forgotten about it- thanks for the reminder! Trying to make fish at least once/week these days (a little resolution).

Happy Monday everyone,
    Melissa

It DID work with the swordfish!

I never cook fish but really wanted to try this recipe. So glad to see all the great reviews. DH loves fish and I don't so this sounds like a good start for me.

I eat fish occassionally, but rarely make it at home. However, I read this thread yesterday, and thought to myself "We are having this for dinner tonight!" I made it last night and it was FANTASTIC! Quick, easy, tasty, healthy. I served it whe yellow rice and peas. We even had enough for leftovers for dinner tonight. Now, normally I don't like leftover fish, but I can't wait to get home and eat this again! I told DH it was going into a monthly rotation. Especially since Kroger had their flash frozen tilapia on sale for $2.99 a package.

Hey sister (aka Julzer) -- you gotta' try this one!

I liked this too, although maybe not as much as some of the earlier reviewers. I only made one piece of fish, so I have leftover cilantro butter. I'm thinking (if it holds another day), I'll try it on some sauteed shrimp, maybe adding some garlic and pasta. I also used much more lemon rind than called for -- I love citrus!

Served with steamed spinach and the mac and cheese with roasted tomatos.

Okay, yum! I made this last night.

Did anyone try it with another herb in place of cilantro? DH liked it, but he's not a huge fan of cilantro, so he wasn't super-enthusiastic about it. I know the principle would work, but I'm wondering what other spices might have to be adjusted.
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

I made this for the first time over the weekend, and we really liked it. For sure our favorite fish dish made at home to date, though that is not a very big list yet. Even the kids seemed to like it. We used Basa fillets. We also served it with some herbed jasmine rice, but thought we needed something with more color. The plate was just too Ďwhiteí and boring. Anyone think they have the perfect side for this dish; Iíd love to hear it. The yellow rice sounds good, Iíll have to do a search and see what I can find for that.

Iíve not been a fan of cilantro, but lately itís not been a problem for me. Typically I find it tastes just like soap, but in the past several months Iíve not experienced that problem. (This would include RebeccaTís Tortilla Soup, some spring rolls, this cilantro butter, and a handful of other things.) I wish I knew what changed (me, preparation, or whatever), but I donít really know.
    The Creator, when he obliges man to eat, invites him to do so by appetite, and rewards him by pleasure.
    - Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin The Physiology of Taste 1825

Just wanted to update that we tried this last night with Shrimp. Used the same seasonings and it was great. So easy and I will make it again in the future.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

Just wanted to update that we tried this last night with Shrimp. Used the same seasonings and it was great. So easy and I will make it again in the future.
    oooh that sounds really good!

Did anyone try it with another herb in place of cilantro? DH liked it, but he's not a huge fan of cilantro, so he wasn't super-enthusiastic about it. I know the principle would work, but I'm wondering what other spices might have to be adjusted.
    i bet basil would be good in this recipe. esp. with the shrimp substitution!
    www.laurengdesigns.com
    {personalized stationery}