Community Message Boards

Thread: What is: Ricotta "inpastata" cheese?

Question What is: Ricotta "inpastata" cheese?

I've googled, Jeeve'd, and looked in an Italian/English dictionary. It's popping up in an Emeril recipe for cannoli filling and a Cassata Siciliana. It's the "inpastata" part that driving me nuts. Anybody know what the word is referring to? or what the translation is?

TIA
    Life ain't Certain. Ride Your Best Horse First

Well that's a new one by me! Did you call Cowgirl Creamery to ask? Maybe Angelina will pop by and illuminate. If I had to bet (and I'm glad I don't) I would think it meant drained of its liquid.
    O! Angelina! Dove sei??

Canice's guess is accurate, it's a top quality ricotta cheese with less moisture.

It's usually spelled impastata.

This link suggests a reasonable substitute can be made by draining regular ricotta overnight:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/reci...arc.php?id=573

Hi there. Us West Coast girls never sleep...

Funny you should mention Cowgirl....found another site for fromage blanc today (igourmet.com), but they are just retailing product from that other site Vermont Butter & Creamery (?) I posted on the original thread.

This "cheese thing" must be my foodie curse (LOL). My guess for the ricotta was "drained" also, only because of the type of recipe it was being used in. I was thinking that answer would be too obvious and that it must mean something else . Maybe I should ask Emeril instead of Jeeves

Quote Originally Posted by foodfly
    Maybe I should ask Emeril instead of Jeeves
    Oh boy, ask Emeril!
    I don't hate him as so many do, but it makes me nutty when he has the opportunity to impart actual information but opts instead to say, "it's a Food o' Love thing" or "to make it happy" or, worse, calling fond "nummies" without explaining why deglazing is important. Grrrrr!! :mad:

(BTW, I did know you were kidding there!)

"impastata" not "inpastata"
    And that's where my search failed. Don't know why they had to make a simple recipe appear complicated. They could have noted what to look for at the bottom of the recipe and/or provided alternate instructions if the ricotta impastata was not available.

Don't think I will find ricotta from buffalo or sheep's milk, so draining "regular" ricotta (fresh from the Italian store) overnight it is.

Thanks so much for the link.

...My guess for the ricotta was "drained" also, only because of the type of recipe it was being used in....
    Well, "inpastata" should mean rendered into a paste or dough, but an "n" in such cases is often replaced with an "m" simply because it's easier to say the word - sort of like the way we say "aN" ounce, rather than "a" ounce.

Don't think I will find ricotta from buffalo ....
    No, no, no: Bufala! Milk can come only from a bufala, not a bufalo! I think we could make this all a lot more complicated if we tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Canice
    Oh boy, ask Emeril!
    I don't hate him as so many do, but it makes me nutty when he has the opportunity to impart actual information but opts instead to say, "it's a Food o' Love thing" or "to make it happy" or, worse, calling fond "nummies" without explaining why deglazing is important. Grrrrr!! :mad:

(BTW, I did know you were kidding there!)
    I've never paid much attention to him even though he appears on TV alot; however, I do visit his website and I have had some success with his recipes; hence, he got my attention. But if he wants to use ingredients/techniques the general public is not familiar with and successfully present himself as a "mainstream" chef, I agree, he is obligated to explain better. Do you think he reads the CLBB?

you could ask Mario Batali...or Lidia Bastianich? Or Giada?
    Kim

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
    -Pat Conroy

No, no, no: Bufala! Milk can come only from a bufala, not a bufalo! I think we could make this all a lot more complicated if we tried!
    Then it would have to be "bufala" and "ewe" milk ricotta. Oh, no!

NOT Bufula or Ewe! It’s a production method.

I’ve discovered that “impastata” refers to a ricotta cheese making “method” (No flotation”) and NOT the animal used for its milk as we originally thought. For example, for Impastata cheese the pH of the milk is significantly decreased by adding more acid than is normal for Ricotta and agitation is applied to the curd appearing, both actions leading to the curd mass settling to the bottom of the vat instead of floating on the surface.

Ricotta impastata is widely used for making ravioli and manicotti fillings as well as Italian pastries.

Still working on locating some to purchase. Specifically, that made by Calabro Cheese Corp.

I wondered where the bufala part came in! (Though in Italy it's usually made of sheep's milk.)

Interesting about the difference in method; I wouldn't have thought it was something done at the front end of production. Now to find a source! Well, you probably saw this one but it's in Connecticut. I'll let you know if I see anything but it sure looks doubtful, doesn't it?

I wondered where the bufala part came in! (Though in Italy it's usually made of sheep's milk.)

Interesting about the difference in method; I wouldn't have thought it was something done at the front end of production. Now to find a source! Well, you probably saw this one but it's in Connecticut. I'll let you know if I see anything but it sure looks doubtful, doesn't it?
    Thanks Canice. I actually read a very nice SF Chronicle article here about them. I did see the page you posted and found Calabro's contact info through the yellow pages, since I didn't see an online purchase option. I also have a back-up plan if they prefer selling only to distributors. Even saw some deli's up your way selling their product. Maybe I should move north since here I have the cows, but you seem to have all the good cheese .

How'd I miss that? I buy the paper every Wednesday just for the food section! Would have been nice if there had been some "where to buy" info, though; I'm sure I've never seen it. You don't happen recall where you saw it, or which neighborhood? I love ricotta and it's hard to find a really good one.

How'd I miss that? I buy the paper every Wednesday just for the food section! Would have been nice if there had been some "where to buy" info, though; I'm sure I've never seen it. You don't happen recall where you saw it, or which neighborhood? I love ricotta and it's hard to find a really good one.
    Because of its short shelf life, the retailers listed below may not always have the cheese in stock.

Calabro hand-dipped ricotta is available in 24-ounce tins or in bulk for $3.50-$4 per pound at Lucca Deli, Lucca Ravioli, Rainbow Grocery and Sorrento Deli in San Francisco; the Cheese Board in Berkeley; and many Whole Foods locations.

Do I have to come up there and show you where to shop?

Pick up some for me, too. It's these times, I so miss NY!

Because of its short shelf life, the retailers listed below may not always have the cheese in stock.

Calabro hand-dipped ricotta is available in 24-ounce tins or in bulk for $3.50-$4 per pound at Lucca Deli, Lucca Ravioli, Rainbow Grocery and Sorrento Deli in San Francisco; the Cheese Board in Berkeley; and many Whole Foods locations.

Do I have to come up there and show you where to shop?

Well, apparently yes!
    OK, now I remember that the cheese column runs in the Thursday Wine section, not Wednesday's Food. But where'd you find the Where to Buy? Anyhow, Lucca Deli is nearby so I'll definitely check it out. Rainbow is awesome, though; I've heard they have the largest bulk foods selection in the country, and I'd believe it.

Well, apparently yes!
    OK, now I remember that the cheese column runs in the Thursday Wine section, not Wednesday's Food. But where'd you find the Where to Buy? Anyhow, Lucca Deli is nearby so I'll definitely check it out. Rainbow is awesome, though; I've heard they have the largest bulk foods selection in the country, and I'd believe it.
    There was yet another SF Chronicle article, but the info on Calabro's was buried at the very bottom of the page. I obviously can't stop myself from searching today. Afterall, I'm on a "mission". I think it's in the column heading "What's New".

Also discovered you are having the 31st Winter Fancy Food Show at Muscone Center this coming weekend. Looks huge! Would love to attend. And yes, in my crazy madness today, I even checked to see if Calabro's was an exhibitor. They are trying to widen their distribution areas. I'm going to contact them and see if they distribute near me.

Did you notice Calabro is the exclusive distributor of ricotta impastata to Ferrara's of NYC -- "the Cadillac" of cannolis?

The homemade mini-cannoli I'm making this week are Cadillac "wannabees" .

BTW, What's New section was published on Wednesday, but the other link/article I gave you about "Ravioli to Cannoli" was published on Thursday(Can't tell what section).
    Last edited by foodfly; 01-15-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Ohhh, it's time for the Fancy Food Show again! I've never been, but have heard that it's amazing.

Yes, I did notice Calabro is the exclusive distributor of ricotta impastata to Ferrara's - I was sold right there!

"What's New" runs every Wednesday in Food, and Janet Fletcher's Cheese column runs every Thursday in the Wine section; ostensibly about pairing wine and cheese, I guess, but for my money the better recipes are in the Wine section, not Food.

I look forward to meeting you when you come up north for your cheese tour!!

Ohhh, it's time for the Fancy Food Show again! I've never been, but have heard that it's amazing.

I look forward to meeting you when you come up north for your cheese tour!!
    Cheese Tour Pleeeeze!

Then the Embarcadero Tour…..and a Restaurant Tour….and the Ghirardelli Square/Chocolate Store Tour……and a Chinatown Tour…..not to mention, a Clothing Store Tour!

SF is the NYC of the West Coast! Lucky girl!

Don’t forget the Fancy Food Show.

Yes, I did notice Calabro is the exclusive distributor of ricotta impastata to Ferrara's - I was sold right there!
    Me, too. It's the "secret" ingredient......but only if I can find some