Community Message Boards

Thread: Decorating around a big screen TV???? Any advice?

Decorating around a big screen TV???? Any advice?

We are now the proud new owners of a big screen TV - kinda. After years of complaining about being "forced" to watch a miniscule 35" TV Neil finally rigged up a contraption consisting of a projector connected to our DirecTivo box, and a huge sheet of white fabric DUCT TAPED TO THE WALL as a screen. Yes - you read that right - duct tape. It was even worse a few months ago - he decided that too much light was coming in through the windows, so one weekend while I was traveling he took matters into his own hands and NAILED A BLACK TABLECLOTH over the windows.

Obviously, this wasn't a permanent situation - we did install wood blinds which block out most of the light, and this weekend he built an aluminum frame for the screen material. So now we just have a HUGE screen (it looks exactly like an empty canvas stretched on wood) on our wall. I refer to it as "Polar Bear in a Snowstorm". It's about 7'x4'. The wall is otherwise empty - I had always wanted to hang a painting or somehting on it, but it is gigantic space and I never saw anything that I liked enough to put there.

So...I'd like to somehow make the screen, or at least that wall, look better. We can't really attach a wood frame around it (that was my original idea) because of the aluminum frame. There is about 6 feet of empty wall (floor to ceiling) on one side of the screen, and 3 feet on the other. Our couch used to be on that wall, but we've moved it across the room now so that we could watch the TV.

Does anyone have ideas for how to somehow minimize (don't laugh!) a gigantic TV on the wall? I mean - this would look great in a media room, but this is our living room. And without that couch on that wall, it seems ridiculously bare. I'm having a hard time visualizing framed pictures or anything for some reason.

I also need suggestions for what to do with the TV "hole" in our built in bookcases. Our fireplace wall has built in bookcases on one side, and the other has a built in entertainment center thing - there is a space that is about 4' x 4' (maybe a bit smaller) for the TV. Would a plant or something look ridiculous there?

TIA for any suggestions - I need to make friends with a interior decorator!

For the wide wall next to the screen, how about a big plant, or tree? And for the empty TV shelf, would it be possible to add another shelf or two - depends on the stain, etc. but sometimes it's not hard to match close enough to the color with a little experimentation. Under our big screen, we have a low shelf unit with the DVD player and cable box. Also, it may look way better with a frame of some sort - is rebuilding the screen out of the question? My DH ordered some screen fabric from ebay for about $25, then we built a wooden frame, which I covered with black velvet. Or you could build a frame that fits around the existing aluminum frame.

Megan

For your TV hole, I think you could easily place a plant/silk flower arrangement there and have it look fine. A large sculpture of some sort would work to fill the hole as well.

For you other wall...how about some pictures that share a common theme in different size frames?
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Would it look awful to frame it with some curtains, like theater-style? When you're not watching, maybe when entertaining, you could close the curtains, sort of like stage curtains? I'm having a hard time visualizing and like you said, it's your living room so maybe that'd be overpowering. Just a thought.

I was going to suggest the theater style curtains as well. Then I would play off of that. If you want to flank it with artwork, you could choose some theater artwork- maybe some neat posters of an era gone by. Is there some space underneath the screen? You could place a long coffee table or sofa table and put some sculptures/candle art on there. Maybe a plant or two. Or on the walls on either side of the screen (with curtains) you could put some wall sconces, similar to those you find in a movie theater.

Seriously, I would take that screen and use that as inspiration for the living room. Turn your living room into a movie house- but one from the 40's or 50's, something that oozes with elegance.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Quote Originally Posted by leightx
    We are now the proud new owners of a big screen TV - kinda. After years of complaining about being "forced" to watch a miniscule 35" TV Neil finally rigged up a contraption consisting of a projector connected to our DirecTivo box, and a huge sheet of white fabric DUCT TAPED TO THE WALL as a screen. Yes - you read that right - duct tape. It was even worse a few months ago - he decided that too much light was coming in through the windows, so one weekend while I was traveling he took matters into his own hands and NAILED A BLACK TABLECLOTH over the windows.

Gawd, you're a better woman than me - if my dh did something like that I'd have to kill him. Duct tape, indeed.

I'd go with the "theatre wall" too - heavy drapes, etc. In front of the drapes place two big pots (one on each side) with big silk trees (ficus or something). I'd also add a floor rug under your furniture to "anchor" your seating area.

For the tv compartment you can fill it with an arrangement that rotates with the season, or a nice big bowl filled with seed balls or other decorative balls.

Post a picture??? It would be cool to see what you end up doing.

Debie
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chefzhat
    Gawd, you're a better woman than me - if my dh did something like that I'd have to kill him.
    Oh believe me - I almost did!!

I'm love the theatre idea, but I'm just not sure it would fit with the theme of our house. We have a "Texas-y" living room - big limestone fireplace, oak mantle and oak built-ins on either side, and black iron accents. Maybe with the right curtains? I'll try to post some pics soon.

A tree / plant is a great idea - I've been hesitant to get any because our lab tends to chew on plants when he's home alone . Maybe he's outgrown that stage though.

Big woven art piece or rug, suspended so that it can be pulled UP to reveal the TV. Something like a Navajo tapestry perhaps, or a Southwestern appliqued quilt. You would probably need to have the framework and draw arrangement custom-built though.
    fresh hot random! mad endeavour on vox
    Ask Palpatine: "Just because I'm the Dark Lord of the Sith doesn't mean you can't get to know me."

Please, please, please do not let my husband see this thread!!!! He would rig up a big screen too!!!!